fitness trackers and MFP

Options
So I have a misfit shine and I absolutely love it. Im just a little confused about how the steps turn into calories? It seems like its giving me a very high number of exercise calories for my steps.

If I do a form of exercise that the misfit tracks such as running or biking - I dont add it to MFP manually, I just let the sync handle it.

Does that make since? Lol Ive tried googling it but cant get a straight answer. I just dont want to assume I have all these extra calories that I really dont have.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'll have to look up what a misfit shine actually does. Give me a sec.

In the mean time while I research, if it's anything like a Fitbit or Garmin Vivosmart then the calorie burns and adjustment are directly tied to a certain number of steps.

The versions of Fitbit without a HRM base your calorie burn on your BMR + extra stuff. Steps are given a met value. If your going at a slow pace around your house, those steps are probably 1.8 Mets. If your speed walking, its closer to 3.5 Mets or so. And when your running, those steps are 6-7 mets or so. So it's more along the lines of number of steps, combined with speed and duration. These calories are then added to your BMR.

Now the adjustments, at least with Fitbit and Garmin, are your full day calorie burn from your tracker - MFP's estimated calorie burn without exercise based on the activity level you picked = +/- adjustment. Here's an visual example of an Adjustment (the way it works for Fitbit & Garmin users....I'm going to guess and say it's similar for Misfit):

exercise logged on MFP:
    kkmqrbjc90ea.jpg
    exercise logged/tracked with tracker only:
    8323scw1fapi.jpg
    a less active day:
    9jlwk0fsjs59.jpg
    • Calorie burn passes the red line, you get a positive adjustment for however many calories are over that red line. It could be 10 or it could be 700. Your almost guaranteed to always see a positive adjustment if you have selected an activity level on MFP that is actually lower than your activity level.
    • Calorie burn stays below or meets the blue line will result in either 0 adjustment or a negative one (if you have negative calories enabled on MFP). This essentially means you either met MFP's expectation or you were less active than you told MFP you would be. When I first got a fitbit, I was so inactive that I lost calories at Sedentary. However that was all the motivation I needed to get up and move more.

However, since I'm not 100% sure how Misfit works, let me look it up and maybe I can get some better insight.

edit: from what I can see it is similar.
  • hillemary
    hillemary Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! How do you get the shine to communicate with MFP in the first place? I lost my Shine and have another one ordered and would like to 'hook' them up :wink: