Metabolism Question- Starvation mode

Options

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.[1]
    Ordinarily, the body responds to reduced caloric intake by burning fat reserves first, and only consumes muscle and other tissues when those reserves are exhausted.[citation needed] Specifically, the body burns fat after first exhausting the contents of the digestive tract along with glycogen reserves stored in muscle and liver cells.[2] After prolonged periods of starvation, the body will utilize the proteins within muscle tissue as a fuel source. People who practice fasting on a regular basis, such as those adhering to caloric restricted diets, can prime their bodies to abstain from food without burning lean tissue.[3]. Resistance training (such as weight lifting) can also prevent the loss of muscle mass while a person is caloric restricted.
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    Maybe everyone should be a little more understanding before automatically judging Julia when you don't know her history. Just sayin...
  • princess4mimi
    princess4mimi Posts: 192
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The body uses glucose as its main metabolic fuel if it is available. About 20% of the total energy consumption occurs in the brain. The rest of the glucose consumption fuels muscle tissue and red blood cells.
    Glucose can be obtained directly from dietary sugars and carbohydrates. In the absence of dietary sugars and carbohydrates, it is obtained from the breakdown of glycogen. Glycogen is a readily-accessible storage form of glucose, stored in small quantities in the liver and muscles. The body's glycogen reserve can provide glucose for about 6 hours.
    After the glycogen reserve is used up, glucose can be obtained from the breakdown of fats. Fats from adipose tissue are broken down into glycerol and free fatty acids. Glycerol can then be used by the liver as a substrate for gluconeogenesis, to produce glucose.
    Fatty acids can be used directly as an energy source by most tissues in the body, except the brain, since fatty acids are unable to cross the blood-brain barrier. After the exhaustion of the glycogen reserve, and for the next 2-3 days, fatty acids are the principal metabolic fuel. At first, the brain continues to use glucose, because, if a non-brain tissue is using fatty acids as its metabolic fuel, the use of glucose in the same tissue is switched off. Thus, when fatty acids are being broken down for energy, all of the remaining glucose is made available for use by the brain.
    However, the brain requires about 120 g of glucose per day (equivalent to the sugar in 3 cans of soda), and at this rate the brain will quickly use up the body's remaining carbohydrate stores. However, the body has a "backup plan," which involves molecules known as ketone bodies. Ketone bodies are short-chain derivatives of fatty acids. These shorter molecules can cross the blood-brain barrier and can be used by the brain as an alternative metabolic fuel.
    After 2 or 3 days of fasting, the liver begins to synthesize ketone bodies from precursors obtained from fatty acid breakdown. The brain uses these ketone bodies as fuel, thus cutting its requirement for glucose. After fasting for 3 days, the brain gets 30% of its energy from ketone bodies. After 4 days, this goes up to 70%.
    Thus, the production of ketone bodies cuts the brain's glucose requirement from 120 g per day to about 30 g per day. Of the remaining 30 g requirement, 20 g per day can be produced by the liver from glycerol (itself a product of fat breakdown). But this still leaves a deficit of about 10 g of glucose per day that must be supplied from some other source. This other source will be the body's own proteins.
    After several days of fasting, all cells in the body begin to break down protein. This releases amino acids into the bloodstream, which can be converted into glucose by the liver. Since much of our muscle mass is protein, this phenomenon is responsible for the wasting away of muscle mass seen in starvation.
    However, the body is able to selectively decide which cells will break down protein and which will not. About 2–3 g of protein has to be broken down to synthesise 1 g of glucose; about 20–30 g of protein is broken down each day to make 10 g of glucose to keep the brain alive. However, this number may decrease the longer the fasting period is continued in order to conserve protein.
    Starvation ensues when the fat reserves are completely exhausted and protein is the only fuel source available to the body. Thus, after periods of starvation, the loss of body protein affects the function of important organs, and death results, even if there are still fat reserves left unused. (In a leaner person, the fat reserves are depleted earlier, the protein depletion occurs sooner, and therefore death occurs sooner.)
    The ultimate cause of death is, in general, cardiac arrhythmia or cardiac arrest brought on by tissue degradation and electrolyte imbalances.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HI-

Does anyone have any solid number on what calorie level over what period of time puts a person into starvation mode and/or a lower metabolic state? Perhaps as a pecentage of BMR or something else that can be calulated?

Also- how much does the metabolism (BMR?) decline? 10%, 50%, 70%?

I know a 1,000 calorie deficit keeps you away from it but am curious how far away...

Actually as a man I would venture to guess that 1000 cals will probably have you in starvation mode. That being said the intake is different for everyone, but it is suggested that women not go below 1200 net, and men not go below 1500 net.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    Interesting... I read the article and it said you can enter this state at 1,200 to 2,000 calories per day. This puts me at risk since I am at 1,630 net calories per day. I am only running a deficit of 750 per day though. I thought I was pretty safe.

The scale is getting a little stubborn and I was thinking of bumping up to a 1,000 calorie deficit but maybe I should do the opposide, reduce to a 500 calorie deficit...

Just a little tidbit about MFP that I've found... once you've entered your personal stats (weight, age, goals, etc), then daily input your food diary & exercise journal... when you submit that day's diary, if you are at risk, a warning will appear on the screen that says something to the effect of "you are not eating enough calories, and are at risk of your body going into starvation mode"... or something like that. I saw it a few times, and it really made me pay attention to how many calories I actually take in!

I was marathon training for months, on about 1200 calories a day... I didn't lose an ounce, and actually gained a couple of pounds. I'm not too beat up about it... I'm little by little, learning more about my body & how it works.

:smile:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    NotAllWhoWanderAreLost Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    to the OP: i have seen various numbers for minimum NET calories consumed, ususally in the 1500-1600 calorie range for MEN. You said that you are set to a 750 calorie deficit currently, that you're eating just over 1600 NET calories daily and that you are at a standstill on your scale.

Question 1: what is your current BMI? If you are already in the healthy range, i would advise you to lower your weekly weightloss goal to 0.5 lbs a week optimally, and 1.0 lb/week max. This will allow you to lose more fat, preserve a higher degree of muscle tissue, and will preserve your metabolic rate. I would be sure to get in resistance training to assist in keeping your metabolic rate high and to preserve muscle.

Question 2: are you accurately (as possible) weighing/counting/measuring/recording both your food intake and your exercise expenditures? Sometimes "plateaus" are due to a loosening of our recording habits, and if thats the case, its an easy fix! :)

Question 3: have you taken body measurements with a tape measure to compare your non-scale-weight progress? I would highly recommend doing that! In addition, i would recommend doing one of those blood pressure self-checks the next time you are in a store/pharmacy (snap a pic w your cell phone camera!). Sometimes progress towards "healthy" is shown in ways other than the bathroom scale :)

be well! :drinker:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Interesting... I read the article and it said you can enter this state at 1,200 to 2,000 calories per day. This puts me at risk since I am at 1,630 net calories per day. I am only running a deficit of 750 per day though. I thought I was pretty safe.

The scale is getting a little stubborn and I was thinking of bumping up to a 1,000 calorie deficit but maybe I should do the opposide, reduce to a 500 calorie deficit...

Just a little tidbit about MFP that I've found... once you've entered your personal stats (weight, age, goals, etc), then daily input your food diary & exercise journal... when you submit that day's diary, if you are at risk, a warning will appear on the screen that says something to the effect of "you are not eating enough calories, and are at risk of your body going into starvation mode"... or something like that. I saw it a few times, and it really made me pay attention to how many calories I actually take in!

I was marathon training for months, on about 1200 calories a day... I didn't lose an ounce, and actually gained a couple of pounds. I'm not too beat up about it... I'm little by little, learning more about my body & how it works.

:smile:
    :flowerforyou:
    Just a note on the MFP "starvation warning": it ONLY shows when your daily intake is under 1200, thats not 1200 NET calories, its just straight up 1200.... WE need to be sure the NET is making it to 1200~!!! I wish Mike would change the warning to 1200 NET calories, but until that happens, we need to be aware of this loophole and not accidentally overlook it and fall into thinking "i didnt get the starvation message so i must be ok" mindset! :noway:
  • RGJeff
    RGJeff Posts: 32
    Options
    I read this one. It looks like the myth you are talking about is that people gain weight in starvation- that the metabolic reduction could outpace the calorie intake reduction. Sounds legit.

It did say they put the subjects at a 50% calorie intake and called that semi starvation, and that they lost weight, but did suffer some issues that anorexics have..

Thanks...

'Starvation mode' as most people know it, is a complete myth.

To achieve a reduction in metabolism, a healthy individual would have to severely cut their daily required calories for a prolonged period of time. In 1950 a study was performed where 36 men were deprived of their daily caloric needs (as low as 50% below their daily need) for 6 months. The result was major weight loss, and 40% reduction in their RMR (resting metabolic rate). However the men CONTINUED to lose fat until the end of the study, or until they reached 5% body fat.

A reduction in RMR due to severe calorie restriction will not counter-act the resulting calorie deficit.

http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742-1

Humans have evolved to handle starvation very well. Our bodies make great use of our stored fat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response (cited sources at the bottom of the page, for those Wiki haters)
  • RGJeff
    Options
    Wikipedia- right? I went there first, they didn't have they number. Informative though....

Thanks!
    Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.[1]
    Ordinarily, the body responds to reduced caloric intake by burning fat reserves first, and only consumes muscle and other tissues when those reserves are exhausted.[citation needed] Specifically, the body burns fat after first exhausting the contents of the digestive tract along with glycogen reserves stored in muscle and liver cells.[2] After prolonged periods of starvation, the body will utilize the proteins within muscle tissue as a fuel source. People who practice fasting on a regular basis, such as those adhering to caloric restricted diets, can prime their bodies to abstain from food without burning lean tissue.[3]. Resistance training (such as weight lifting) can also prevent the loss of muscle mass while a person is caloric restricted.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I consumer between 200-600 calories a day and i've been loosing weight regularly. But i did get to the point before where i was stuck at 7st 12 for about 4 months no matter what happened and at the time i was eating a bowl of cereal a day, some squash and a piece of fruit. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER - DO NOT DO THIS, EVER!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Just a note on the MFP "starvation warning": it ONLY shows when your daily intake is under 1200, thats not 1200 NET calories, its just straight up 1200.... WE need to be sure the NET is making it to 1200~!!! I wish Mike would change the warning to 1200 NET calories

I know right!! If we should be staying about 1200 net we need to be warned. Often I am under that w/ exercise but didn't really intend to be it's b/c I didn't notice. I'll notice nutrients that are over or under and when I'm at 1150 cals and add more food in to get to 1200 but with 60min of walking a day and 35 min on the elliptical I shouldn’t go bellow 1500+ but my regular day is about 1350 so I am guilty of under eating for sure and would like a little MFP automatic warning tough love ;)
  • RGJeff
    Options
    Hi..

My BMR is 27.5- right in the middle of the overweight range. I'm 208 pounds now...

I record everything and measure everything. I measure my coffee creamer with a tablespoon, weigh my grilled chicken before eating it, read everything, record everything. I'm like a friggin chemist.

I haven't measured anything with a tape measure. I wish had started that at the beginning. I feel like its too late now. I did try it once when I started my weight training, and I lost 3/4" on my bicep in a week. I assume I did not do it right... I guess I could use some instruction on that,,,
    to the OP: i have seen various numbers for minimum NET calories consumed, ususally in the 1500-1600 calorie range for MEN. You said that you are set to a 750 calorie deficit currently, that you're eating just over 1600 NET calories daily and that you are at a standstill on your scale.

Question 1: what is your current BMI? If you are already in the healthy range, i would advise you to lower your weekly weightloss goal to 0.5 lbs a week optimally, and 1.0 lb/week max. This will allow you to lose more fat, preserve a higher degree of muscle tissue, and will preserve your metabolic rate. I would be sure to get in resistance training to assist in keeping your metabolic rate high and to preserve muscle.

Question 2: are you accurately (as possible) weighing/counting/measuring/recording both your food intake and your exercise expenditures? Sometimes "plateaus" are due to a loosening of our recording habits, and if thats the case, its an easy fix! :)

Question 3: have you taken body measurements with a tape measure to compare your non-scale-weight progress? I would highly recommend doing that! In addition, i would recommend doing one of those blood pressure self-checks the next time you are in a store/pharmacy (snap a pic w your cell phone camera!). Sometimes progress towards "healthy" is shown in ways other than the bathroom scale :)

be well! :drinker:
  • new_Kendra
    new_Kendra Posts: 80
    Options
    Maybe everyone should be a little more understanding before automatically judging Julia when you don't know her history. Just sayin...

I absolutely agree. As I read through, I felt so bad for Julia. Not for her battle, but because it seemed like she was being judged (and a bit attacked!). She seems really nice...and honest. Alot more than most of us can say! I am sure we have all done some things to lose weight that were not very smart...weather it be from emotional issues or lack of knowledge. Either way, we are ALL learning and overcoming our issues...be it UNDEReating OR OVEReating.

But anywho, seems like alot of different answers/opinions on this. I consume at least 1290 calories a day. Some days I go over, but try to stay under 1400...but those are not my NET (though I rarely exercise :embarassed: ). I didn't realize that i need to keep my NET at a minumum of 1200.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Hi..

My BMR is 27.5- right in the middle of the overweight range. I'm 208 pounds now...

I record everything and measure everything. I measure my coffee creamer with a tablespoon, weigh my grilled chicken before eating it, read everything, record everything. I'm like a friggin chemist.

I haven't measured anything with a tape measure. I wish had started that at the beginning. I feel like its too late now. I did try it once when I started my weight training, and I lost 3/4" on my bicep in a week. I assume I did not do it right... I guess I could use some instruction on that,,,

LOL I know JUST what you mean about being a friggin chemist :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I am the same way!

If it makes you feel any better, i just recorded my first official measurements this past weekend --- after a year and a half and nearly 65 pounds lost! Ok, disclaimer: i wanted to order some summer clothes online and i have NO IDEA what size i wear anymore lol, but i figured i may as well do a bunch of measurements while i was at it and record it here. ITS NEVER TOO LATE! (besides, you can estimate your beginning waist measurement based on your pants size at least, right?

oh, forgot to mention at that BMI i would personally have myself set to 1 -1.5 lbs a week. Since you're at a standstill at the moment and are weighing/recording accurately, i would go with 1 lb a week and see what happens over the course of the next 3 weeks or so. Good luck~!
  • erickirb
    Options

'Starvation mode' as most people know it, is a complete myth.

To achieve a reduction in metabolism, a healthy individual would have to severely cut their daily required calories for a prolonged period of time. In 1950 a study was performed where 36 men were deprived of their daily caloric needs (as low as 50% below their daily need) for 6 months. The result was major weight loss, and 40% reduction in their RMR (resting metabolic rate). However the men CONTINUED to lose fat until the end of the study, or until they reached 5% body fat.

A reduction in RMR due to severe calorie restriction will not counter-act the resulting calorie deficit.

http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742-1

Humans have evolved to handle starvation very well. Our bodies make great use of our stored fat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response (cited sources at the bottom of the page, for those Wiki haters)

This only studied 36 men, and should not be used as a generality. The point is, your body needs fuel to fuel your workouts, if you don't get enough you will a much higher % of muscle vs fat than if you were getting enough fuel.
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The point is, your body needs fuel to fuel your workouts, if you don't get enough you will a much higher % of muscle vs fat than if you were getting enough fuel.

This really depends on your body composition. If you are lean and healthy, it is more likely that you will experience muscle catabolism when significantly reducing your caloric intake. However, for anyone that has a high percentage of body fat (such as individuals who are overweight, obese, or super-obese) this is not exactly the case.

In any situation -- as you lower your caloric intake, special attention should be given to what kind/what amount of macronutrients you are getting when trying to stay within your calorie limit.
  • erickirb
    Options
    The point is, your body needs fuel to fuel your workouts, if you don't get enough you will a much higher % of muscle vs fat than if you were getting enough fuel.

This really depends on your body composition. If you are lean and healthy, it is more likely that you will experience muscle catabolism when significantly reducing your caloric intake. However, for anyone that has a high percentage of body fat (such as individuals who are overweight, obese, or super-obese) this is not exactly the case.

In any situation -- as you lower your caloric intake, special attention should be given to what kind/what amount of macronutrients you are getting when trying to stay within your calorie limit.

The OP has less than 20lbs to go, so I am guessing he is either slightly overweight, or at the higher end of the healthy BMI range, and most likely has a moderate BF%.
  • RGJeff
    Options
    Yeah- I've never been so tuned in to what I've been doing- ever. Usually at this point, I'd be flipping out, exersizing too much, eating too little, getting a little dizzy and craving anything with fat in it. Instead, I know exactly where I am, and can calmly consider a minor adjustment, and I'm not craving a thing, since I've fit portions of everything I desired along the way...

I'm not sure I'm at a standstill though. I would call it resistance. I'm down 6 pounds over 3 weeks, 3 pounds over 2 weeks, and up 1/2 pound over the past week. I fluctuate a few pounds from day to day so gauging a 1 - 2 pound per week loss is within the margin of error, and so its hard to tell...

So after all this, I don't think I'll increase the deficit to 1,000 calories/day, since it seems like 1,630 calories net is approaching several people's recommended limits. Also, I've been lifting dumbells, and higher calorie deficits counteract some of the benefits of that...I'll think about reducing the deficit to 500 calories though.

Thanks!
    Hi..

LOL I know JUST what you mean about being a friggin chemist :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I am the same way!

If it makes you feel any better, i just recorded my first official measurements this past weekend --- after a year and a half and nearly 65 pounds lost! Ok, disclaimer: i wanted to order some summer clothes online and i have NO IDEA what size i wear anymore lol, but i figured i may as well do a bunch of measurements while i was at it and record it here. ITS NEVER TOO LATE! (besides, you can estimate your beginning waist measurement based on your pants size at least, right?

oh, forgot to mention at that BMI i would personally have myself set to 1 -1.5 lbs a week. Since you're at a standstill at the moment and are weighing/recording accurately, i would go with 1 lb a week and see what happens over the course of the next 3 weeks or so. Good luck~!
  • RGJeff
    Options
    Pretty close, I'm still in the middle of the overweight range- 27.5. Basically, I look thin now, but have fat on the abs and haunches. I began using dumbells about 5 weeks ago and am aware of the metabolic contradiction and am hoping my slightly overweight, beginner status will carry me for a few more weeks or months... But yes- this is an added complication for me, a reason to keep the calorie intake up a little bit.

As far as nutrition, I added protien when I started the dumbells- switched breakfast from oatmeal and fruit to egg white omlettes, switched lunch and/or dinner from pizza and broccoli/cheese to grilled chicken and the brocolli/cheese. (there is more variety than this, but these are most common) Started taking a multivitamin too.

Any nutrition recommendations on top of that?

The OP has less than 20lbs to go, so I am guessing he is either slightly overweight, or at the higher end of the healthy BMI range, and most likely has a moderate BF%.