5km PB's

Options
so I'm new to 5k's, hell I'm new to any kind of running or movement for that matter but I just completed my second 5km in training and I sprint finished at the end purposely so I could beat my previous personal best (beat it by 1min 36secs ) - 'technically' is that still beating it or should I run steady but marginally faster overall to beat my previous PB.

Also, any benefits to occasional sprinting spurts?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• wcurudy
    wcurudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's not 'technically' anything. You absolutely beat your previous best and, for a 5k, 1:36 is a pretty significant chunk of time. So good for you!

The fact that you were able to sprint finish means that you likely could've done even better if you'd "run steady but marginally faster overall", but that doesn't mean you ran it wrong or anything like that. You still crossed the line faster than you did previously.

Occasional sprinting spurts sound like fartleks or interval training; there are tons of articles on both, and I definitely recommend them for speed gains. Just don't do them every time you run, they can be pretty hard on the body.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for a new personal best if you're trying to set one.

That said, for training runs, I don't track PB's. I watch my overall progression (over months) to see improvement, which hopefully leads to a new PB in a race.

Training is about building overall endurance that will lead to a better time in races.
  • lucypenny589
    lucypenny589 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on beating your PB! Over a minute off a 5k is a great achievement :)

It doesn't really matter if you ran at a faster pace overall or sprinted to beat your time, either way you still succeeded in running it faster. The fact that you had enough energy left for the sprint finish shows you probably could have upped the overall pace if you'd wanted to... maybe next time if you're feeling good at half way round the distance, try pushing slightly harder for the second half and see how it goes?

In terms of occasional sprinting, this can really help improve your pace. Personally I do interval training once a week at the gym and I find it makes a big difference to my times. This article gives some more info on the benefits and a couple of examples of how you can work this into your training: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/run-faster-with-high-intensity-interval-training

Hope this helps!
  • SMoorcroft
    SMoorcroft Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate all your help and advice. I'm tracking my times so I can see my fitness levels increasing it gives me the incentive to keep pushing on.

And thanks for the HIIT info, think I'm a bit off that at the moment but can see the benefits so will definitely keep it in mind for a month or so time but in the meantime I'll throw in a sprint occasionally.

I never ran before Jan and I was able to play tag with my boys for AGES this weekend without getting breathless! So chuffed xx
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking up running. I was also amazed how quickly my endurance improved after just a few months of running. Great feeling.
  • SMoorcroft
    SMoorcroft Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It really does, doesn't it? I laugh every time I say 'I'm just going for a run' to my hubby - it still sounds bizarre lol
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of middle distance running when I was younger and I found the key to getting the best time possible is to get good at setting a good pace for the whole distance, rather than speeding up at the end or having to slow down. That being said you might like to speed up slightly after the half way mark when you get more experienced. You want to be on the verge of collapse (not literally) as you cross the finish line.

Spending time on a running track with a stop watch will help you to learn what a 9 minute mile feels like, an 8 minute mile, 6 minute etc.

The next step is to figure out what pace you can keep up for your chosen distance... Then increase it! This can be done through running intervals, building leg strength (hill sprints, weight training etc) and other non running cardio conditioning (swimming is ace).

All of this is making me want to run again! Good luck!