How does MFP calculate calories?

Options
Does anyone know how the calories are calculated? I always thought net 1200 was appropriate for an active female, but MFP calculated my daily calories as net 1450...seems to high for weight loss?!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How tall you are what you weigh and what your activity is and your gender

1200 is an average...what is an average? Are you average?

Should a 5'2, 120lb female with a desk job eat the same amount as a 5'10", 300lb, policewoman?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also what your weight loss goal is
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It takes your stats (height, age, current weight, gender) desired weekly weight loss and gives you a number based on that.

then if you exercise it adds in more calories to eat. NEAT method.

When I used NEAT I was given about that amount for 1lb a week and yes it worked and I lost 1lb a week. I am 42, was 178lbs and 5ft 7...and I ate back all my exercise calories.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Any amount that is below your maintenance calories is enough for weight loss. The further below maintenence you go, the faster the weight loss....and the bigger your risk of burning out from not enough nutrition, being hungry all the time, etc. You'll have to balance those two things and find something you can healthfully keep doing.

I eat around 1800 calories a day for half pound per week weight loss (I'm 5'5', 157 lbs, 42 year old female). I have to be fairly active to do that, but I'm training for a 10K race which burns some calories.
  • RMH___
    RMH___ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insights! I'm almost 6ft tall and weigh 78kg. I try to exercise 4-5 times a week, so I guess based on your feedback my calcs are about right. Just trying to lose 5kg, so hopefully this gets me across the line. Thanks guys!!