Thought it was time to share with someone

Options
astgte
astgte Posts: 81 Member
As someone whos always suffered from low esteem and overeating problems, finally I made the mindset to change my lifestyle and with the help of this app, in the last 6 months ive managed through diet alone to lose 56lb. Im now within my bmi and my fat % is also now in the healthy zone. Ive plateaued now for about two months weight wise but my bodyshape is still changing, ive also started a weights programme to help tone up my body and luckily ive not been left with a lot of excess skin. The two pictures are approx 10 years apart and around 13 stone in total around 196 lbs. Always been in denial about my weight and that I was still healthy even when I was at my heaviest, but feel a lot better health wise now which should go without saying. But what id like to ask from the members on here, I look in the mirror now and I see very little difference in my mind to when I was heavier, but when I see a picture of myself I dont recognise myself. Is this a normal thing that you can still have negative image in your mind even though people do not recognise you? I hope perhaps that my share, that ive never done before, will help motivate others who have been struggling for maybe years. :)
iv68kvfki9k8.jpg
bpulcm425l6h.jpg

Replies

• 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great job, amazing results, you look great! I too found that looking in the mirror I didn't see a huge difference, but when my sister posted a picture of me from a race I could hardly believe it was me in the picture.
  • asimonep
    asimonep Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Looking great!! Thank you so much for sharing and motivating the rest of us!!
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    B) wow cheering_minions.gif

• becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Congratulation. You are an inspiration!
  • rebeccaschlaht
    rebeccaschlaht Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WOW just WOW great job
  • AngelRN2014
    AngelRN2014 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the reason you don't see the change when you look in the mirror is because it's such a gradual change. Your image in the mirror today isn't much different than yesterday's image, but in the pictures you're seeing the difference between many days/weeks/years. It's the same as how relatives you live with don't change much, but when you move away and see them months/years later, you notice they have changed.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Oh, and by the way... Great Job!
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is sooo awesome! It's probably going to take some time for your mind to catch up with your body. Try not to let it overwhelm you. You've done an amazing thing and you need to enjoy your new life and your new body.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    astgte wrote: »
    ABut what id like to ask from the members on here, I look in the mirror now and I see very little difference in my mind to when I was heavier, but when I see a picture of myself I don't recognise myself. Is this a normal thing that you can still have negative image in your mind even though people do not recognise you?

What a fantastic job on the weight loss. It sounds as though you also need help with the shedding the old mindset though, if I have understood your question? If you are seeing little difference and are not recognising yourself, your mind and inner belief systems may not be accepting the changes. Have you tried self-motivating and inspirational online sites? It could work but if it is a self-esteem issue, it is worth going to see a therapist or actually a life coach - they get you to at least change your mindset. It's difficult to offer advice, make suggestions or give opinions on these types of forums but I do hope this might have helped.
  • astgte
    astgte Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments, its not something id normally share with the wide internet world but if perhaps I can help someone with just an idea of what can be achieved and perhaps give them a perk up im happy ive helped out. I do find I carry myself more upright when I walk, a more proud stance maybe, more able to look the world in the eye rather than shy away from it, its hard to know, I just thought it a bit weird that I could not recognise looking at myself my achievement really (obviously clothes fit me, im able to shop in 'normal' shops) but if I see a picture its completely alien person looking back? I know its me but I cant compute it is, maybe take more time for that to sink in. I still find it hard to believe I can buy a medium t shirt :smiley: Im now looking forward to getting fitter and trimmer with my weights programme.
  • octopi28
    octopi28 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What an amazing journey, you look great!! Congrats, this is a huge achievement!...
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think just about everyone who posts a success story helps somebody out and doesn't always know it. There is probably some guy out there (or girl even) who reads your post and thinks, "If he can do it, so can I". So great job and thanks for posting!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!
  • novespecial
    novespecial Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I agree with the above poster regarding the gradual change. I have lost 50 pounds and am now just staying to acknowledge a big change. You look awesome though!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    What a transformation! You are an inspiration. I understand that you are private when it comes to the internet but thanks for sharing this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!