biking to work

Options
So i was thinking about biking to work, but the commute would end up being 11.1 miles each way. I've never done road cycling before, let alone be on a bike in awhile so i know that this is something i would have to work up to. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for someone who is just starting out on a bike? How many miles should I start off at? What kind of bike would be good to consider purchasing? The road is mostly flat.

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm riding 5 miles each way at the moment. Home is actually 8 miles, but the last 3 miles has a climb of 600ft. And while I can do it, it wipes me out for a couple of days. My wife drives me to the trailhead and I take it from there - same thing on the way home.

In our city the Buses have bike racks on the front, so last year I would ride to the bike depot and then take the bus up the hill. If you have this option perhaps take the bus in for a couple of weeks and ride home until you feel comfortable.

I would suggest a bike with touring tires - that's what I put on. A little more comfortable for city riding and better able to take the weight of a pack you may be carrying eg. lunch, change of clothing etc.

good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Unless you plan on racing you don't need a road bike and if you're not planning on riding trails you don't need a mountain bike.

Have a look at commuter or hybrid bikes. I have no idea what your budget is but avoid big box stores and buy the best bike you can afford (consider used if money is tight or you're just a frugal person like me...). You'll be much happier in the long run if you get a good quality bike (Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized) and your local bike shop can be a great resource. Unless you are comfortable assembling and servicing your own bike shopping on-line is often false economy, a good bike shop assembles the bike properly, will fit it for you and many of them will offer free or low cost adjustments and tune-ups after the sale.

As far as getting back into biking goes do it gradually, go for progressively longer rides after work / on weekends until you feel comfortable with the commuting distance.

A safety aside.......learn and observe the rules of the road, bikes are considered vehicles in many jurisdictions and it is often illegal (and always unsafe) to ride on sidewalks. Buy and use a good quality (CSA / UL approved) bike helmet, for $50 or $60 you can get one that is light, comfortable and well ventilated. Personally I ride with a bright flashing white LED light facing forward and red flashing LED facing the rear day and night, it makes it easier for motorists to see you which makes it a safer ride for you.

Happy riding!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Buy a hybrid.
    Buy a helmet
    Learn to fix a flat tire.
    Don't try biking 22 miles your first day (you'll die)
    Buy lights for your bike.
    Buy clothing appropriate for your climate.
    Follow the rules of the road when you can.

Have fun! I bike 20 miles three times a week. It's like every ride is a new adventure.
  • ArchyRunner
    ArchyRunner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend making sure the tires are pretty sturdy and can take a good beating. Depending on your route the bike lane could be chock full of potential flat tire debris. When it's not 110 degrees out I commute to work using a combination of bus and bike, and I really enjoy it, it's my time to strategize before I hit the office and decompress before I walk in the door at home.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Everything the above posters have said. With an important caveat make sure that you get measured to the bike and that it fits you correctly. If the bike is too big or too small you are going to be very uncomfortable and will not be doing it for very long.

Speak to techs at the bike store, tell them what you want the bike for and any possible long term goals. This is so that they can match you up to a bike for you specific needs now and for the future.

No point in getting a mountain bike if you intend in doing a triathlons, same applies to a hybrid if you are going to do gravel riding.

Buy padded lycra's - your bum will love you for it

Most important enjoy the rides.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I have a Gary Fisher hybrid (Montare) that I used for commuting in Boston. I was happy with it, it's also great for paved paths... and now, towing my kids. When I commuted, I put reflective stickers all over the bike and helmet. Nerdy but I never got hit! Also, have to get a u-lock. Had a bike stolen with a cable lock. Also liked the reflective bands for your pants and Frog lights. I miss bike commuting, it's a lot of fun :)
  • Bananna411
    Bananna411 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you everyone! These are all VERY helpful tips! My goal is to eventually be able to commute to work a few times during the week when the weather permits. I am definitely going to start off with a few miles first, then work my way up towards being able to do a long distance ride, that way I don't kill myself trying to do 11 miles right off the bat.
  • briebuck
    briebuck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i commute in Chicago 6 miles each way - its great because I cant quit even if I wanted to ! give yourself plenty of time, stop if you want, go slow, get a squisky seat too! use an ipod and see it as a relaxing time - even if you go 10 mph (the light setting to log biking) its still a ton of calories ! im on my second week and its already SO much easier.
    I have a cruiser bike (easier on my back). I had a cheap one from walmart - started falling apart after a few weeks of use and being stored outside.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, buy a hybrid. Do not buy a road, mountain, comfort, or beach bike. Shop at a real bike shop and get help in picking out the right size and type of bike.

Can you leave your car at work? Maybe do this;
    Drive to work and bike home,
    bike to work and drive home,
    drive to work and bike home,
    get it?

The advantage is you are only biking one way each day and it gives you the opportunity to regularly have fresh clothes and snacks at work.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The heavier the bike the harder it will be to move, so keep that in mind when selecting a bike. You don't need carbon, but you don't want a tank either. Get something that fits you, and see if they will custom fit it for you and include that in your purchase. Again, you don't need a super exact fit unless you plan to up your game and get serious, but you do want something that fits you well and taking the time to get the seat aligned and bars at the right spot will save you some pains later. A bike specialty store will be able to help you with that over a big box store, even a place like REI will be able to fit you better than a Target or X-Mart store. Also, what type of road will you be traveling on, slick tires will serve you better than nubby ones, esp now that winter is over (at least where I am it is).

If your city has bike shares (and not all do, and you may not live in a city), try that to get your mileage up, find the docking stations along your commute and start out small going from point a to b then picking up a mass transit option if possible.

And as others have said get a helmet, a good seat (sometimes bike stores will upgrade your seat for "free" to a better fitting one), lights and obey the rules of the road. I would not recommend wearing headphones or listen to music while commuting, you could get distracted, you could miss hearing cars/pedestrians/other cyclists coming up on you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    HillOE wrote: »
    The heavier the bike the harder it will be to move, so keep that in mind when selecting a bike. You don't need carbon, but you don't want a tank either.

Unless you live in a very hilly area the actual weight of the bike is less important than the weight / coefficient of rolling resistance of tires and the weight of your rims

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    briebuck wrote: »
    use an ipod and see it as a relaxing time.

Gah! No!
    Don't use headphones on your bike! So dangerous!
    You HAVE to be able to hear what is going on around you. No headphones!

Bike commuting is awesome, but it can also be dangerous, even if you are on trails or in a bike lane. You need good lights, reflective gear- tape, jacket, vest, whatever you prefer- A poster on another thread recommended one of the vests that construction workers wear-, and a good helmet. Never assume that drivers OR pedestrians can see you. I had a teenager walk directly in front of my bike on Sunday without looking and almost caused an accident.
    I'd also carry a flat tire kit and a good multi-tool. And make sure you can use both- lots of bike shops will offer clinics or teach you how. Also, carry a spare tube AND a patch kit in your spare set. I got two flats in one trip last week, changed the first one, but I didn't have my patch kit, so I was stranded after the second one blew.
    Oh, one last thing: get a Road ID or MyID band- it will have your emergency contact and medical info on it and first responders usually know to look for them. Just in case. They can be a lifesaver. Road ID also has an app that will put the same info on your lock screen.

ETA: lest I sound like a paranoid maniac, cycling is great and I totally recommend commuting that way! But there's no drivers ed for cyclists and there's a lot to learn to make sure you are safe and following the rules of the road.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    hi,
    I've been a year round rider for probably going on 5 years now, (just like the mailman, rain, sleet, snow, black ice, whatever.. I ride). i'm sure that you've gotten a lot of good advice. 11mi one way is a lot if you are new to it. my ride (I ride to the gym first and if I decide to ride directly to work it would be 11 hilly miles in in Washington state, you would know what I mean). I would consider a hybrid bike too, make sure to get measured for the bike, even the bike seat. I have my "winter bike and a summer bike" I have a pannier for my winter bike to lug my stuff, that is a bag that you hook on to your bike rack", it will take awhile to get your ritual. oh, i'll be 56 this year and am a female. feel free to msg me if you have added questions for me to get a female perspective. good luck
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Buy a hybrid.
    Buy a helmet

Have fun! I bike 20 miles three times a week. It's like every ride is a new adventure.

Good advise here. Also be in defensive riding mode. I see your in SoCal like me. It is dangerous riding, more so than even riding my motorcycle. Drivers dont pay attention so you need to for them.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The suggestion of a rack and panniers is a great one-then you don't have to have a backpack on your back while you're riding. I have a pair and they are super sturdy and handled multiple nursing textbooks when I was in university. They are also waterproof. I have flashing mini lights on my front and rear (white and red respectively) to be seen and also have a light on the front that I use to see when I ride in the dark. I used to use a commuter bike when I was going longer distances (now I use a cruiser because I'm only going a couple km). Definitely buy from a bike shop. Feel free to go in, look at bikes, ask to try them, and get help choosing. A good bike shop will answer EVERY question you have, make you excited about buying and riding a bike, and and help you keep your stoke for riding! :) They want you to love your bike.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Buy a hybrid.
    Buy a helmet

This.
    And get a small pannier so you're not carrying everything on your back in summer.