Gaining weight at 1600 cals!?!

Options
I gained two pounds really fast (~2 or 3 weeks) even though I count everything. I exercise at least twice a week, but nothing intense, don't do sports, and factor in any exercise i do so I end up with 1620 total calories per day. Am I doing something wrong? I use a food scale so my measurements are accurate, but the scale isn't going down... Should Iower my intake? I'm an average high school student btw, height 5'4 and weight around 115.

P.S. The scale reasons are consistently up and I haven't started any rigorous exercise or anything.

Replies

• jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    First questions that come to mind:

Have you eaten extra sodium? Canned soup, lunch meat, take out?

Are you close to your period OR ovulation?

You mention you're in high school....are you still growing? You may be getting taller without realizing.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5'4" 115 lbs ??? :neutral:
  • madaracountertenor
    madaracountertenor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @jenniferjohnsonament I haven't had my period in about six months (early last year I was 142 pounds), and I don't recall eating that much sodium yesterday... Could I be experiencing pms anyway?

I don't know what to do - I ate 1200 net today, should I just eat 1600 anyway though?!
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well I'm assuming you're wanting to maintain your weight loss since you're on the maintenance boards.

Sometimes it does help to "dip down" on calories for a day after a gain. I would give it a week and see if this mystery 2 lbs has gone on its own.
  • taragoodyear1
    taragoodyear1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    5'4 115 lbs i wouldnt be concerned about weight gain
  • Delightful_one
    Delightful_one Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A 115 lb person needs approx 1,752 calories a day to maintain weight. To lose a 1 to 2 lbs a week you will need to decrease calorie intake by 500 to 1,000. Women should not go below 1,200 calories a day unless under medical supervision. Are you getting enough water because if your not you could be sabotaging your weight loss? What is your goal weight as 115 is pretty low. I'm 5'4 and I weight 145. My goal is 130. A healthy weight range for a small frame 5'4 is 114-127; medium frame: 124-138 and large (which is me): 134-151. You might have an easier time tightening everything up as opposed to losing much more weight.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about your health. This site is designed for those 18 and over. If you have not had a period for 6 months, and you are having issues with your weight. Please go to a doctor !!!!
  • madaracountertenor
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to stick to around 1600 for another week and see what happens, because the scale really isn't making sense the more i think about it. Oh well, no stress.
    And my bmi is healthy, as is my body. Thanks for the concern though.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're not on any kind of birth control and haven't had a period for months, there is something wrong. You need to go to the doctor ASAP.

~Lyssa
  • madaracountertenor
    Options
    I don't really know if it means anything, but I gained another pound according to the scale this morning. What the heck...
    And I've been to the doctor already, my period should come back soon and they're not worried.
  • taragoodyear1
    taragoodyear1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    pregnant?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Stress over life, and now stress over this.

Inflated cortisol levels, retained water. Could get upwards of 20lbs that way.
    Would that stress you out?

Control the stresses you can, eat enough for actual level of activity, get enough sleep, check nutrition of food eaten that getting a good amount in.

Fat is not fast - gaining or losing - so water weight that fast likely, unless you weigh your foods but misapply or use bad database entries for serving sizes and are eating more than you think.
  • madaracountertenor
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Stress over life, and now stress over this.

Inflated cortisol levels, retained water. Could get upwards of 20lbs that way.
    Would that stress you out?

Control the stresses you can, eat enough for actual level of activity, get enough sleep, check nutrition of food eaten that getting a good amount in.

Fat is not fast - gaining or losing - so water weight that fast likely, unless you weigh your foods but misapply or use bad database entries for serving sizes and are eating more than you think.

Thanks! Also thanks for taking me seriously (unlike @taragoodyear1, sorry)