Sore...

Options
libby328
libby328 Posts: 287 Member
So I am wondering something that I am sure has been asked before but.... my legs no longer get sore after a workout and I start feeling like I am not doing enough! I am def seeing improvement in all areas of my body but I am wondering why I never get sore? My arms and shoulders still get sore almost everytime i work out but never my legs. I just want to make sure I am getting the correct workouts! I usually do eliptical for about 10-15 minutes to warm up them some strength training and squats and lunges then i finish with tredmill for about 30 or more minutes! Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    change up your routine and lift heavier weights.
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    Have you tried adding small weights to your lunges and squats? Believe me, add more weight and your legs and butt will remember what sore feels like!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    change up your routine and lift heavier weights.

100% agree. You should be changing up your routine every 4-6 weeks to keep your body guessing. This could be changing the workouts, intensity, weight, reps, etc. I find it best to actually change the exercises you are performing. eg. instead of squats, try leg presses, or jump squats

That being said, being sore is not indicative of a good workout, it means you are in better shape, at least those muscles that you work are.
  • Shannoncore
    Shannoncore Posts: 135
    Options
    sore is a good feeling. add some weight when doing your lunges and stuff.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sore, PUSH HARDER!

The reason you got sore before was because your muscle weren't used to it, and they really had to work, so in order for them to have to work you need to lift heavier.
  • libby328
    Options
    JUMP SQUATS!!! Lol scary haha ok thanks I will try that, I have done them with weights and I am for sure seeing more muscles and i can feel more muscle, I just dont know when I should be feeling sore and when I shouldnt be!
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Definitly add some variety, use heavier weights/add weight if you're not using any, look up different types of exercises for those muscle groups. I like looking through women's fitness magazines - they've got different workouts every month so you never get bored :)
    Good luck and I hope you figure out how to make your legs sore again :)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    P90X chages the routine up constantly to keep you challenged, which equals sore - and it works. As others have said, change up your routine, use heavier weights - make your body constantly adapt to new challenges. That will keep you sore, in a good way!
  • libby328
    Options
    P90X chages the routine up constantly to keep you challenged, which equals sore - and it works. As others have said, change up your routine, use heavier weights - make your body constantly adapt to new challenges. That will keep you sore, in a good way!

I actually have P90X I just havent started, I am mentally preparing myself for that... I know that may sound like a munch of crap but I want to be strong enough to finish!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

I actually have P90X I just havent started, I am mentally preparing myself for that... I know that may sound like a munch of crap but I want to be strong enough to finish!

I understand wanting to finish! My wife started with me but had to quit quickly due to ankle and knee issues. She is going to strengthen those areas and then join me for a later cycle. But I suspect that you are ready. It is tough, but don’t be intimidated. You can use lighter weights to start with and Tony gives modified moves for most exercises. As Tony says, adapt, adapt, adapt – just keep pushing play! My first run through was kind of lame but I have been through it several times now and have increased weights and can do the cardio stuff easily. I thought that I was going to die the first time I did Plyo-X but now it is almost too easy. I also do Supreme 90 as a change up to P90X and love it as well – it has shorter work outs but is equally challenging. Give it a go! You can do it!