Broken Foot - How do I work out?

Options
So I broke my right foot and have to be in a boot for about 8 weeks. Up to know the only exercise I was getting was walking around the block a few times at night, but I can't even do that. Does anyone have any suggestions for a workout? Maybe like an upper body routine? I also have arthritis, so nothing too crazy.

Replies

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Some hand weights; 10/15 lb, resistance bands and Google should give you some ideas.
    Good Luck with your recovery!
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I found this site by Googling "exercising with a broken foot." http://www.podiatrytoday.com/blogged/how-patients-can-get-aerobic-workout-while-staying-their-feet. Try researching more. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of ideas! Best wishes on a speedy recovery.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? Dunno if that is an issue with the boot being off, but at least it is not weight-bearing
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me in the spring of 2012. It was a huge PITA - very depressing. The doctor suggested swimming and riding a stationary bike. I know that the first 2 weeks, no way I could've done either, too painful. There are some youtube videos on chair exercising and I did do that a little until I was able to walk more with the boot. The important thing is not to push too hard too fast, or you'll just prolong the recovery.

• carinox25
    carinox25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Found some great videos on youtube! I am not a fan of swimming, but I think I am going to give it a shot as well.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Dealing with the knee issues here that prevent me from serious walking...

Dumbell exercises and battle ropes (I thinking you could do it in a seated position).
    I'll second the swimming suggestion if you can.
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Search up chair exercises. My mom does them because she has a hard time walking. Also maybe pilates. Most pilates videos you are laying on the floor or sitting. And any pushup or plank can be modified to knees.