Fats?

Options
I am below my fat counts...I would rather eat than add the fat calories, since my allotment is only 1270. I take essential fatty acids daily...will that make up for the fats I am lacking?

Replies

• savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You haven't provided really much information to make a statement against. Yes, essential fatty acids are great additions, however the body utilizes a range of fats for a number of functions including hormone function. It's important to have an adequate supply, with a range of fats within that supply.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not seeing the issue. Put some butter on something you eat. Problem solved.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Almonds. B)
  • FreedomMK2131
    FreedomMK2131 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have found that eating a lot of healthy fat decreases appetite and stabilizes blood sugar. Avocados and cooking with olive oil are my favorite!
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just eat an entire stick of butter.
  • erikgoya
    Options
    Just kidding.

That sounds like a low calorie limit, are you already really short? If your not, you're probably low on your calorie intake, and should eat some more. (I'm 5'5" and in a deficit of calories at 1800 - 2000)

As for the fat: avocados, cheese, beef, use butter to make your eggs, nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese. Fat is pretty easy to get in your diet to be honest.
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal according to this site is 1270. I am always under on fat, but right at my calorie allotment. So, to get the 30
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I hit it up when I eat salmon.
  • Parkercomom
    Options
    I have a goal of 1270 calories with 41g of fat per day according to this site. I have been 20 to 30 short on fat grams, but at or near my calorie limit. Seems like to get that much fat in, it will significantly cut down the amount of other food I can eat. Still just trying to figure it all out. I have 90 pounds to lose....was never much a fat eater...carbs were my downfall.
  • Parkercomom
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 256
  • nyraphe88
    nyraphe88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need to experiment with your macros and dietary intake. No body fits into a one size for all cookie cutter diet. You need to mess with your fat/carb/protein levels and calorie needs.
    I've been experimenting for the past 2.5 years and finally feel I've found something that works. 40-60% fat, 25-40% protein, and 5-35% carbs. On really tough cardio days, I pull out some protein and add more carbs. On high strength days, I can go up to nearly 75% fat and less than 5% carbs.
    It takes time to discover what your body really needs. Start reading lots of books, articles, health blogs. Get your information from everywhere instead of 1-2 sources. And always try new things. Don't be afraid of "doing a fad diet"... If it works and you feel awesome, it works. But also, treat yourself in moderation ;) I like to have a glass or two of red wine and some 85% chocolate when I'm feeling really good.
    Don't be down, just try and try and try again until it clicks.
  • erikgoya
    Options
    Okay, bottom line: Don't, by any means, follow the number MFP gives you. Its notorious for being inaccurate.
    Go find an online calculator (iifym . com works, but use multiple calculators for comparison's sake). Calculate your BMR and your TDEE. choose a number in between those two, and eat to that amount of calories.

I'm 5'5" and 210ish and eat 1800-2000 calories to lose weight. You need to increase your calorie intake and eat more fat. Fat is super important to your health. Eat some more cheese if you're not lactose intolerant (cottage cheese is a good option if you like it).
    Eat some meat too! Don't be afraid of the fattier cuts of meat if you have trouble reaching your fat intake. Pork is cheaper than beef and fattier than it too.

If you're vegetarian or vegan...your fat intake will have to be from nuts and oils I guess. I don't know jack about vegetarian nutrition.
  • Parkercomom
    Options
    Not much of a FAT eater...over eater...HECK YES!! I don't blame the carbs...I blame eating them in abundance. Just trying to find a way to eat that I can live with...I don't ever want to look back!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yikes, some days I hover around 100g of fat. After being in a weight loss slump the weight is finally falling off.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Try coconut oil, salmon,avocado, full cream milk and yogurt etc etc Pretty much all the yummy stuff!
    Up your fat % and lower your carb % to make up for it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yikes, some days I hover around 100g of fat. After being in a weight loss slump the weight is finally falling off.

Me too :). Around 70g is pretty standard. I'm seriously shocked on days that I'm under that.
  • Parkercomom
    Options

How many calories do you eat when you are at 100g of fat a day?