Question about calories gained back w/exercise

Options
brooke_danae
brooke_danae Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My calorie goal to lose 2 lbs per week is 1,330. I work out 5 days a week doing different HIIT cardio routines while incorporating strength training. Today I "gained back" 284 calories from exercising.

So my question is: Am I supposed to be eating those 284 calories to make my calorie goal for the day? Or isn't that counter-intuitive because I'd be eating back what I just lost?

Replies

• Alipop
    Alipop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set at prior to determining calorie goal?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal to lose 2 lbs per week is 1,330. I work out 5 days a week doing different HIIT cardio routines while incorporating strength training. Today I "gained back" 284 calories from exercising.

So my question is: Am I supposed to be eating those 284 calories to make my calorie goal for the day? Or isn't that counter-intuitive because I'd be eating back what I just lost?

Eat them back if you want. It's your choice. That being said be careful when doing so as sometimes exercise calories are overstated.
  • brooke_danae
    Options
    Alipop wrote: »

I have it set to Active.
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Active & 1330... I'd eat them back, or at least 50% of them
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm wasting all that hard work if I just eat it back. I know that everyone feels differently about this, but I'm currently losing about 1.3 pounds a week... so unless I start to lose too quickly, I think it's ok to just stick to my set calorie goal and not eat back exercise calories. I already feel full enough, and have plenty of energy.

I suppose it also depends on what you mean by "active", and if you feel very hungry or too weak from not eating enough. If you feel satisified while eating 1330 calories, then maybe give yourself a couple of weeks to see what your weight loss looks like before eating back any exercise calories.
  • brooke_danae
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    My understanding is if everything was 100% accurate, logging food and exercise you should be eating them back so your deficit is the same day after day so your weight loss is small, stable etc

But because there are inaccuracy in you logging, over estimation of exercise, most recommend eating half back.

Personally I only eat it back if it's large amounts of exercise.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'll eat (and drink!) at least half of the earned calories. Exercise has benefits beyond just losing weight and I use the extra food I get to eat as motivation to get out and be active.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Alipop wrote: »

I have it set to Active.

If you have it set to active are you active without exercise? ie teacher, retail clerk, waitress?

If not set it back to sedentary and eat exercise calories.

Another question why are you set for 2lbs a week? do you have over 100lbs to lose? if not try lowering that to 1lb or 1/2lb depending on how much you have to lose.

25-50 should be 1lb a week

under 25 1/2lb

This is so you have a reasonable deficit...not a starvation one.