Fighting severe morbid obesity

Options

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look absolutely amaaazing! I especially love the happy expression in the after pictures.

I started out very morbidly obese also (BMI around 51-52) and I know what it feels like to see such a hard and long road ahead. I've still got a very long way to go.

You've done ab amazing job. I can't wait to see you at your ultimate goal weight.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You are doing great! You look so happy in your "after " pictures! . :)
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I know you can do it! I feel proud of what you've already accomplished:) because it's hard.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You are doing fabulously! Congrats for all the progress you've made so far. You definitely do look happy and proud and should be.
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good luck! You seem to have a solid plan and are motivated. And you already have some great advice on this thread. Best wishes!
  • mollypw1994
    mollypw1994 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you!! Look at how much longer your neck looks in your after pic! That is so cool!!my only advice is to not let a "bad" day (or few days) ruin it - just log it the best you can, and start fresh in the morning. Slow and steady will win this! You can do it - heck, you already ARE!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! That's great! I relate to the fear that the weight is lurking behind me, waiting to catch up.

I'd love to see you reach 200 too! That would be so cool.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my journey, thus far, it was September of last year (2014), I weighed in for a wellness program for my new job - tipping the scales at 447 lbs. I was super crushed. I have been "fat" for my entire life. I was always the bigger girl in school. My senior year in high school I think I was about 350 in high school. Now, I am 24 and I definitely decided I wanted to change for the best. 447 was just too much and it was getting to the point where I couldn't find clothes to fit anymore, I struggled with simply going up the stairs to my apartment, I felt so ashamed I didn't even want to get out of the car to go into the store (or ANY PLACE) and would rather just send my boyfriend in to get whatever we needed.
    Not only was I struggling with my physical appearance but I was having terrible hormonal issues, it felt like I was going into menopause WAY too many years early before I am actually supposed to be experiencing hot flashes, night sweats, horrible mood swings, and lack of any drive. It was awful.
    I started getting a little bit more active with my new job and I think the steadiness of my full time job hours... Mon-Friday 8-5 helped a little. I lost about 10 lbs and started this new year of 2015 at 437. I knew it was time to kick it into gear. I completely changed my eating habits on a day to day basis. NO more McDonald's or any fast food, no more buying candy bars, no more cheetos from the vending machine, no more soda/diet soda. I increased my vegetable and fruit intake. Less carbs. I drank a lot more water. I utilized MyFitnessPal to set my calorie goal and stay UNDER it. I also went out there and got a y-membership with a couple of my friends. (I had to do that since I live in Wisconsin and that was not ideal outside conditions!). I started seeing the weight drop right away.
    As of today, I have gone down a couple sizes in my scrubs and I can finally fit back into the clothes I have! I am currently weighing in at 382 lbs. That is 65 lbs lost!!! I am so excited and completely happy but I am always reminded that I have made a dent into a very large road ahead of me. My super absolute goal would to get down to 200 but I know that you need to make small steps along the way to keep it reasonable. I find it easy to go take a walk but sometimes I just have this uncontrollable urge to just eat anything that's bad for me. So I do struggle with that. Did I totally want to order a large extra cheesy pepperoni stuffed crust pizza tonight and eat ALL of it for supper? YES. Did I eat oatmeal with a banana/cinnamon/almond milk instead? Yes I did. As far as my internal health, I had a lab check up in February for the wellness program at work and everything was in the range it is supposed to be at! And my hormonal issues have pretty much disappeared. It is a great feeling. I know I am doing good but every day is a challenge.
    My dream is to become a runner but as of right now I can barely run around a football field track without getting winded badly. So I just walk. I walk walk walk walk. I don't necessarily count mileage but I try to do at least 30 minutes a day during the week. I am no longer taking the elevator up to 2nd floor at my work and I choose the stairs instead. Going up the stairs is killing me less and less... It is a really good feeling but sometimes I get so scared that I am going to slip and just not have the energy to keep making this change.... I get very frightened... I know this post has gotten a little long but I feel like I really need to talk about it...
    I get discouraged easily... but I keep going...
    Any tips for me? I guess just anything will help...
    I signed up for a Zumba class next week that will run until the end of May ( I previously did a little zumba a couple of years ago and i loved it)
    So im hoping that will help. My weight dropped fast at first but now I am probably dropping 10 lbs a month.

Best wishes....so much of this does start in the mind...you have a bit more to go than I did. I ONLY weighed 405! LOL

Just came across a medical report last night from Nov 2013 when my BMI was ONLY 54 & change.

You might find a few ideas on this post I did a little ways back...photos and some food ideas.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Story link -

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10080664/lost-191-lbs-photos-success-after-999-failures/p1

73641431.png

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    10 pounds per month is super. You took years too gain the weight and it will take a while to lose it but the life changes you are making will be things you can sustain. And remember all you need to do is lose one pound - then repeat that. And again. One step at a time.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Great work so far! 68 lbs is fabulous!
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats! You're certainly succeeding and should be proud. Forget the same dent mentality. You can't lose 200 without losing that first 60! You're definitely on your way

You're a rockstar and you deserve an entourage! Perhaps a friend (or two. Or a whole support group) who is working hard on the same general amount of weight you want to lose too.
    Or perhaps a nutritionist. Or even an emotional counsellor (therapist). Talk to your dr or wellness program and see if they can set you up with some cool supportive people.

Swimming and dancing (you can just twist and rock out privately at home if you want) are fun, low-impact activities in addition to your walking

:-) keep up the great work!
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That's an incredible difference, and I must say your smile can light up a room - so beautiful!
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Can I just say Wow! I think you're doing great. You are beautiful and I love your attitude. I have no doubt that you will reach your goals.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are fighting and winning! I've seen some good advice already so nothing to add. Keep rocking!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Nice job, you can totally see the progress in your before and after pictures! Looking forward to seeing more!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress!
  • globug68
    globug68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You look great
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You're doing great!!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    OP, this was wonderful to hear. Keep it up and pat yourself on the back - you have come a long way. Amazing and beautiful story.
  • EmCoco1128
    EmCoco1128 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just updating everyone.... i have officially hit the -100 lb mark!!!!!! :):) HALLELUJAH! Ill try to post an updated picture soon!!!!