Does allocating half of your daily calories to alcohol count as starvation?

Options
Yes, I know, drinking is bad for you. But I'm asking just from the perspective of diet. If I am allowed 2000 calories a day, and drink 1000 calories a day as well as eating healthily the rest of the calories, can you be nutritionally sustained?

Replies

• JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Starvation, no
    Alcoholism, possibly

Is this every day?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Given that alcohol isn't giving you much of anything nutritionally, probably no.

You are basically cramming all your nutrients into 1,000 a day.

• Dionysos4
    Dionysos4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know I am an alcoholic, I was just wondering if keeping to my diet and including all my drinks within still gave me all of the necessary nutrients.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Does allocating half of your daily calories to alcohol count as starvation?

God I hope not.
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It would seem that doing this would not allow enough necessary nutrients. I had a family member who got very sick with malnutrition years ago because she was an alcoholic & wasn't eating enough.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    djmclay4 wrote: »
    I know I am an alcoholic, I was just wondering if keeping to my diet and including all my drinks within still gave me all of the necessary nutrients.

Putting aside the health impact of drinking that much, looking at your nutrition log should tell you.

Can you hit your protein, fat, calcium, iron, fiber, and vitamin goals on 1,000?

I am going to guess the answer is no.

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Micro nutrients will be all screwed up, not to mention your liver being destroyed. Rather than worry about what you are eating you need to be in treatment for what you are drinking. Good luck
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    my father drank every day of his adult life until he retired. there was no change in his weight from when he was drinking and when he was not drinking. BUT he did not restrict himself to 1000 calories of food. he had a physical job and just managed to balance naturally his food alcohol and activity level. Most of us can't do that.
    I see nothing wrong with drinking but I don't do it much because I would rather eat my calories.
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are also a lot of reasons that drinking a lot can keep you from losing or maintaining weight, if that is also a concern. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson194.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280263-alcohol-fat-burning/
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know, drinking is bad for you. But I'm asking just from the perspective of diet. If I am allowed 2000 calories a day, and drink 1000 calories a day as well as eating healthily the rest of the calories, can you be nutritionally sustained?

You are 21 and have a whole life to live...why not do something about the alcohol now before its too late. AA or counselling.

• JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Log the foods & drinks then check the nutrients info, and see!

Plug it into MFP food diary, then hit nutrition, then the 'listing' icon (to get off the pie graph of carbs/proteins/fats percentages) and see what you've got for calcium, proteins, iron, etc

If you can do it in 1000cals, then that's your answer I guess

• jskyjse
    jskyjse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Drinking and over eating are both numbing devices. You are making an effort to solve one and purposely keep the other? I don't see how that is going to work out in the long run. I wish you health: both physically and emotionally.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You have an awful lot of weigh to lose, especially for someone so young. I don't think that you can afford to drink 1000 calories of alcohol a day because that is going to slow you down considerably.

I'm curious--what are you drinking?
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have to see a doctor..
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Starvation - no
    Malnutrition - more than likely
    It would take some serious planning to be able to hit all of your macro and micro-nutrient needs on 1000 calories and even then I'm not sure it would be possible without supplements (and still might not be possible).

Easiest way to put it -> Cut back on the alcohol
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You're putting in the effort to count calories to lose weight in the first place (I'm assuming that's why you're counting calories) and yet you're not willing to maybe get healthier with your drinking? I do drink alcohol however it really should be an occasional thing, not a daily thing especially if it means you're drinking with only 1000 calories worth of food in your stomach.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It's technically possible, but you really have to know what you're doing. And should probably do it under doctor supervision.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Obvious alcoholic who needs serious help is extremely obvious.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Drink wine. It's essentially a fruit salad shake.

Could some multi vitamins help for the areas your lacking nutritionally?