plateau/no Carbs/14 day cutter experiment

Options
Hello all. I want to share this experience with everyone and get some opinions. I am going to do a low carb diet for the next 14 days. In hopes to smash my plateau and get me to 175. I started mfp at 204. I am down to 180 ish, givce or take a fat guy blowout weekend. However I feel I am really close to where I want to be and that is thanks tto mfp. I havce changed my idea about weight training and eating thanks to this site. However I am stuck, body is changing. My strength is through the roof and my overall well being is much improved. However I said I Wanted to be 170-175 and I need to follow through on that.

So my plan is write everyone out, every single meal for 14 days. I then will prepare all my meals for 7 days. Roughly 35 meals. Package them up and put some in fridge and some in freezer. For me to be successful in this experiement I feel this is what is needed. I am still fact finding and researching (early stages but need to get done). I am going journal this experience, take pre and post pictures. And write on journal everyday on this site. I have some questions.

1 What is a good amount of carbs? I was thinking 50. I work out in AM and I thought I would have 25 carbs post workout in my shake and 25 carbs in my morning snack. 25 carbs of oats

2 How much weight loss do I expect? I want to be 180 Monday and then be at least 175 in this experiment. Can I cut 10 lbs?????

3 Do I count calories? I am leaning toward yes but maybe I should just open the flood gates and just track carbs?

4 Do I am to get into ketotosis? Or do I just do 50 carbs per day 14 days and thats it. do I really need to pee on a stick?

4 Any Opininions or thoughts

MF

Replies

• Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    First day, I put in my entire day and have 34 total carbs today.
    It looks like heavy cream and coffee will be my best friends.

Todays obession for me is the paleo diet, ever this 2 wk no carbs I am going into the paleo diet.
    I continue to count cals too
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    I had 39 carbs in day 1. Its incredible how light you feel after you cut sugar and carbs for just a measly 24 hours. I expect big improvements during this process.

I had 39 carbs yesterday and suprisingly I was not overly hungry. I make sick 12 egg quiche like thingy with turkey bacon mancini peppers and cheese last night. WOW

Anyway todays goals are to figure out how to make a carb free cheese cake. Anyone?
    I took some pics today and weighed in at 182.8. I hope by Monday to break 180 for the first time in like 10 years

Not sure who is reading this daily journal but I want to share experience with others who are interested
  • summerx275
    summerx275 Posts: 15
    Options
    good luck. I was thinking about trying something similar and look forward to seeing how it goes for you.
  • skinnymcc
    skinnymcc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm interested.....please keep sharing your info...your experience!! I've been stuck at 181 since May 1st so REALLY hanging on your every word to see how it goes!!

Thanks!!
    Stacey
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand about carbs etc. I just try to stay under a certain amount of regular ol' calories everyday and it seems to be working for me.

I just wanted to say: Good luck to you! Whatever works!
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    I started this site at 199, I just like a machine lost 1 lb per week for about 17 weeks or so. Now I got stuck. I dropped from 1800 cals a day to 1560. Didn't work. I have about 12 lbs to go so I figured I will mess with my body and go no carbs for 14 days in hopes to drop maybe 5-10 lbs. Anything under 40-50 carbs your body is non stop burning fat. Ketotosis (sp). So am going to bacily keep under my 1560 cals (2100 and change with workout) and also stay under 40 carbs. I believe the combo will get me to where I need to go. I think I may ride this fade until the 12 lbs is gone.

I really been reading alot about the paleo diet and some other things taht just talk about how carbs and processed foodsa re just god awful for you. I know I can;t stsay away from all processed foods but I tihnk after this experiment I am going to try and live a paleo type lifestyle. Of course I make pizzas with my boys every friday so that night I may just have to ignore! :)

I didn't find it hard to stay under 40 carbs and oddly enough I was ery full feeling all day. I ate every 3 hours and tons of meat and I wasn't hungry once as oppose to whenI just ate whatever and aimed to stay under 1560. I would have alot of bread (arnolds) and other things. I had a ton of selzter yesterday and diet drinks so I got to cut some of that. I had 2 diet dr peppers.

Tonight I am making what I am calling power pops. Going to make about 24 cupcake like egg white snacks and a low carb cheesecake for funnsy

Thanks
  • gonnabeskinny2011
    Options
    This is really interesting!!!!! Good luck ;-)
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i have been on a similar weightloss of no carbs. it is amazing how the weigh just starts to melt off when you hit ketosis! you wont be hungry as much and you will loss cravings. i still count calories but some dont, its pretty easy for me to stay within my allotted calorie count because im not so hungry. Good luck on this journey and keep sharing. ive been on it for two weeks and have lost 10 pounds.

A couple things just to be careful about
    1. if you want to drink coffee just watch the amount because it raises insulin levels and that is what the diet is trying to control
    2. be careful that you don't go back into eating the "normal" amount of carbs because you will put all the weight back on plus some. Low Carb is used as a lifestyle change not a quick fix.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    Marline,
    Thanks. Great info and I like to see that on this post so others can learn.

How many carbs are you eating per day? I eat normally a low carb.complex carb balance. When I Come back I will just eat fruits and veggies with some other tiny carbs and then hope to maintain that.
    I am drinking minimum of 2 cups per day. My new secret to coffee is heavy cream!!! WOW Makes me very happy

I love hearing you lost 10 lbs. ITS WHAT I WANT!!!!

Congrats and keep going

MF
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    1 What is a good amount of carbs? I was thinking 50. I work out in AM and I thought I would have 25 carbs post workout in my shake and 25 carbs in my morning snack. 25 carbs of oats
    --it depends. I have to keep mine around 20g per day. If you're going to have more carbs, you need to make sure your calories aren't too high. You can afford a bit more calories than normal, but don't go extreme.

2 How much weight loss do I expect? I want to be 180 Monday and then be at least 175 in this experiment. Can I cut 10 lbs?????
    --At 50g per day, it's hard to say. If you're close to your goal weight already, I doubt you will see huge weight loss. Maybe 1-2 lbs per week, but that's a healthy weight loss.

3 Do I count calories? I am leaning toward yes but maybe I should just open the flood gates and just track carbs?
    --I already mentioned this. At a higher carb level, you may want to make sure you're not too high in calories. But since everyone is different, it's hard to tell you a precise number to aim for.

4 Do I am to get into ketotosis? Or do I just do 50 carbs per day 14 days and thats it. do I really need to pee on a stick?
    --Some people can get into ketosis on that many carbs. But I've found that's not the case. If you want to be sure you're in ketosis, then yes, you'll need to "pee on a stick."

5 Any Opininions or thoughts
    --Low carb is the best diet for me. It's not for everyone. Be very aware of what's in your food. There are hidden carbs everywhere. Plus, manufacturers don't have to list the carb content when a serving is less than 1g. So the nutrition facts may say zero when it's not. If you have several servings of something, those carbs can add up fast. And I would stay away from Atkins foods and any foods that claim a net carb content, as they may not be as low carb as they claim.

Also, drinking alchohol won't knock you out of ketotsis (as long as it's not a carby drink), but you will stop burning fat while your body burns off the alcohol. Since you're doing this for a two week period, I'd stay away from the alcohol. And if you can, stay away from coffee. Some people lose weight just fine with coffee on low carb diets. Some don't.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    What an awesome post!!!!!
    It sounds like I may be on this for 4 weeks rather then 2. I am ok with that.

Thanks everyone. I hope people learn from this thread
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Most people will stay in ketosis until around 100g carbs. The brain needs 50g carbs per day, anything under and you should raise your protein a bit to something around 1.5g/lb. I personally try to keep mine around 50g/day on my cut days. Recognize since each gram of stored glycogen (Carb) will carry with it 3g of water. When you cut out those carbs, the water weight is lost too. Its tricked a lot of people into thinking they've lost more fat than they have. I lose around 5-7lbs depending on the week. As has been said, be wary for those secret carbs. Many meats have carbs in them through their curing process usually adding sugar. Your expected weight loss will depend on your caloric deficit, which is unknown to me. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you happen to know your BF%? If so, it would be easy to calculate your BMR and go from there. In terms fo fat burning, you should probably do a 40/40/20 (% carb/% protein/% fat) ratio of your total calories. The number of carbs, etc... is different for each person depending on your caloric intake. I eat 2500 calories a day, I do a 50/30/20 ratio, so my numbers are 313g/188g/56g. I have been fairly consistant with my weigh, but I am more concerned with BF%. In reality, that is a better target to shoot for than weight as weight varies from time to time and day to day depending on your bodies cycle.

To answer your question, just go into your goals and do a custom setup.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at 20 g of carbs as well. It definately keeps me in ketosis. And the amount of carbs that a person needs to get into ketosis depends on the person. Make sure to drink lots of water as well. It helps to avoid any kidney stones from braking down the amount of protein that you will be eating.
    Good luck. And keep sharing
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    Ok, I am officially loopy! I felt awesome for 2 days. I will grab the sticks on my way home from work to see where I stand. I had under 4 grams 2 days in a row. I made low carb cheesecake last night and it made me nervous because the 6.5 carbs put me close to over 40. I get 25 grams of cars every morning in 1 shot in my post workout shake. If not for that I would really stay wayyyyyyy under but I believe very strongly in the sugar carbs post workout and I don't want to leave that.

Again, great responses. I really hope I am one that is in ketosis under 100 grams. It would be nice to have a piece of fruit.

I take c4 before my workouts with some other uspp called hyp oxygen by snac. It really gives me a good boost to work out at 5:30 am. I did 35 mins cardio and then legs and abs. I was flying feeling great. I now can't focus too well and feel def loopy. Drinking my coffee now with heavy creme. I then will crush a 32 oz of seltzer to see what that does for me and I will eat my first meal at 9 today. Hope that helps me out.

20 grams is crazy! I guess if I cut my shake I would be around 15 so thats crazy in itself. Hard going through this process when my beliefs are so strong for complex carbs, ie sweet pot, korean pot, fruits and veggies. But 170 is the number and I must get there no matter what.

Tonight I am going to make what I call POWER CUPS! I am not sure what they are but its bascily going to be a now carb cupcake, mostly of egg. a sufla (sp). Any ideas?

I was thinking. Eggs, Cream Cheese, Protein Powder (whey, plain? vanilla?) vanilla extract
    I dunno. What do you guys think?

MF
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    reading more and more

My pee is wicked yellow and stinky, I do taste metal in my mouth. Could jsut be from coffee and I have def dizzy.
    I hope I am in ketosis

How do you guys do this for so long? I know people that actually live there lives like this
    Amazing
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    FYI

I feel like I took acid. Not sure if that is good or bad
    :)
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    I hit plateau end of march.

Think ive just broke it, taking in more water, slightly cutting carbs no where low as you, exercising more & adding weights in.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    The only thing for me is I may be target weight from very low BF.I think it is why I am having such a hard time.
    At 170 which is 12 lbs away I hope and think I may be 8-10% BF. Thats just a total guess.

When you get down to the last say 10% of what you need to lose its just so hard. Especially that you start to see the body firm up and your adding muscle. Mirror changes but the scale stays the same. Weird feeling.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I hope you're feeling better! I just read through this entire thread and you sounded so good at the beginning and now sound like you are really feeling awful!

I attempted something similar to what you are doing last week. Restricted myself to 20 g of carbs a day and planned to do it for 2 weeks to get my body into ketosis and then planned to gradually add back some fruit and the occasional low carb pita.

I also did it for the same reason because I've been stuck on the scale for the past few weeks and I'm getting really frustrated, but when I weighed myself at the end of the first week, I was still the same!

I couldn't stick with it, I fell off the wagon and binged on carbs. I hope you have better luck with it!!