Beginners?

Options
Sadly, I am not doing any purposeful physical activity right now. I need to lose about 60 lbs!! Does anyone know of a great beginner dvd to follow? I had extreme pain about four months ago due to a herniated disc in my spine - but after physical therapy, I (knock ok wood) am no longer having the sciatic pain associated with it. Anyone have any advice for a beginner?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First, fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Exercise should be done based on other fitness goals (strength, cardio vascular, mobility, balance, speed, agility, etc.).

So what are your goals?
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    caaber01 wrote: »
    Sadly, I am not doing any purposeful physical activity right now. I need to lose about 60 lbs!! Does anyone know of a great beginner dvd to follow? I had extreme pain about four months ago due to a herniated disc in my spine - but after physical therapy, I (knock ok wood) am no longer having the sciatic pain associated with it. Anyone have any advice for a beginner?

You could start off with plain walking. That may get you well on your way.
  • shizzieshiz
    shizzieshiz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try the Walk At Home DVDs. I have a terrible knee and those helped me tremendously! Low impact enough that it doesn't aggravate my injury, but they are a great workout and have you sweating like crazy by the end!
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use one of those "couch to 5k" apps on my iOS device. It's so great becuase it builds up your endurance without having to be winded out or sore from too much at once!

I also enjoy those dance games like Just Dance or Dance Central if you have a wii or an xbox.

You can always do those home dvds like the above poster mentioned but even simply walking/slightly jogging will help you shed weight throughout your body including your arms and face.
  • happy_heart_jen
    happy_heart_jen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maybe just walking or looking up some beginner/back pain yoga on youtube? I love swimming, biking, and yoga! Find something fun :)
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    DDP Yoga. It's worked very well for my bad back. For beginners and fun to do. And it ain't your momma's yoga! Bang!

https://ddpyoga.com/
  • caaber01
    caaber01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!! I truly appreciate the suggestions!