I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Can I just say:
    1. What an amazing transformation! That's textbook dedication right there.
    2. I'm so glad you're doing this AMA.
    3. I'm dumbfounded and amazed that you are still answering questions nearly a full year later.
    4. I'm sorry that I don't have an actual question. I know what to do, I just...have to do it and not lose hope.
    Take care! :blush:
  • justbtwnus23
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Hi I went from 352lbs with the help (medical and personal training) all the medical showed me was portion control. The gym is showing me my body's sensitivities like I should mainly only stick to water. I wanted to know does it get easier or harder to reach your goal? I am now 239lbs. Im looking to get to a solid 190lbs give or take for function & form purposes. Whatever the answer... Do you know what I should do now?

P.S. I'm supposedly 66lbs bad weight so according to certain people I should lose 35- 40 lbs
  • AngryBirdies1
    AngryBirdies1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you stay away from junk food you are craving?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I have a question iv read nd read trying to decide .iv been doing 5x5 iv finally lost some pounds and iv lost inches. I can really see the difference .But when i read other womens post they are not taking off days and doing tons of cardio . I thout that was exactly what you werent supposed to do! I might walk at my sons baseball practice or ride my bike after i lift somtimes but thats it these people are like i eat rabbit food and yogurt and lift 3x a.week and do cardio 7x a week ???? Are they right ?or are they kinda wasting there time??
    Weights 3x a week and cardio 7x a week is excessive for almost anyone. Unless you are training for something very specialized you shouldn't need to do that. It also depends on the intensity and duration of the cardio. In the summer I probably take walks/hike 5-6 days a week, but it's only the long, hilly, hikes that are really taxing. I don't really count walking around the neighborhood for an hour as cardio. It's so low intensity that it doesn't really interfere with my recovery. Basically you should do as much cardio as you care to do so long as it's not messing with recovery. Depending on the individual, this can be very little, or quite a bit.
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Hi I went from 352lbs with the help (medical and personal training) all the medical showed me was portion control. The gym is showing me my body's sensitivities like I should mainly only stick to water. I wanted to know does it get easier or harder to reach your goal? I am now 239lbs. Im looking to get to a solid 190lbs give or take for function & form purposes. Whatever the answer... Do you know what I should do now?

P.S. I'm supposedly 66lbs bad weight so according to certain people I should lose 35- 40 lbs
    Answered in the PM you sent me
    How do you stay away from junk food you are craving?
    I don't stay away from any certain foods. I work them into my everyday diet in moderation thus defeating the craving while still achieving my goals.
  • auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a long thread. :) Sorry I did start reading from the first couple of pages, then started missing some pages and skipped through to the end/at the moment it's this page. I did watch the clip about working out cals, protein, fat and carbs - a few pages back - though. Will give that a go. I did C25k too and from that experience I love running/walking/doing anything cardio more than strength training. Yep I know, weights is important so I haven't neglected that part at all. I get bored with it though. I've tried to mix it up with increasing the weights (barbell) after each set, using hand weights, body weight, weight machine at the gym - like a leg press machine - instead of squats with a barbell, just to add some variety over the week when I'm doing my strength training. You recommend 5x5. I've looked at the You Tube clips for that. I will give that a go though, but have you ever gotten bored with your workout routine and what did you do to get yourself back on track or what did you change? B)
  • steven502
    Options
    Vismal,

I'm male, 40 years old, 6'1", and 250 lbs. I estimate I'm at 27% body fat. I've been lifting for a month and I began getting my food squared away about 2 months ago. My goal is body transformation, I want to get to 10% BF and be strong doing it. I'm making progress and frankly I'm pretty happy with how it's going. But, I got hurt while lifting and I'm nervous.

I've been following an ICF 5x5 program. I hurt my back with bad lifting form while doing stiff legged deadlifts. I visited my doctor and followed his recovery and I'm feeling better. I've spoken with a few trusted friends that lift and they're suggesting I stick with a lower weight/high rep routine to focus on learning form.

As I said, I trust these folks. I'd like your opinion on focusing on lower weight/high rep during my fat loss cut. I feel that while less efficient in terms of muscle gains, it may be smarter as a beginner to be dealing with weights that I can handle with best form.

Steve
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    hey man amazing progress. Trying to lean bulk now and hopefully will look the same as you do in your last picture after a year of lean bulking. I am eating 2800 cals a day at the moment.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I LOVE before and after success stories, thanks for sharing. You look great:)
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time with fiber, I want to eat it but am having trouble finding things I will actually eat DAILY. I'm not a fan of mixing it up in a glass and drinking it either. What do you do for consistant daily consumption that would be sustainable?
  • lucytyrrell15
    lucytyrrell15 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, very inspiring. How do you find the energy to train after a crazy busy day?
  • vismal
    Options
    auntyp147 wrote: »
    Wow! What a long thread. :) Sorry I did start reading from the first couple of pages, then started missing some pages and skipped through to the end/at the moment it's this page. I did watch the clip about working out cals, protein, fat and carbs - a few pages back - though. Will give that a go. I did C25k too and from that experience I love running/walking/doing anything cardio more than strength training. Yep I know, weights is important so I haven't neglected that part at all. I get bored with it though. I've tried to mix it up with increasing the weights (barbell) after each set, using hand weights, body weight, weight machine at the gym - like a leg press machine - instead of squats with a barbell, just to add some variety over the week when I'm doing my strength training. You recommend 5x5. I've looked at the You Tube clips for that. I will give that a go though, but have you ever gotten bored with your workout routine and what did you do to get yourself back on track or what did you change? B)
    I don't ever get bored with squats, rows, deadlift and bench press. The progression of the weight is what keeps me going, not the novelty of the lift. Leg press is not exactly a good replacement for squat. Possibly something to be done in addition to squats, but not a replacement.
    steven502 wrote: »
    Vismal,

I'm male, 40 years old, 6'1", and 250 lbs. I estimate I'm at 27% body fat. I've been lifting for a month and I began getting my food squared away about 2 months ago. My goal is body transformation, I want to get to 10% BF and be strong doing it. I'm making progress and frankly I'm pretty happy with how it's going. But, I got hurt while lifting and I'm nervous.

I've been following an ICF 5x5 program. I hurt my back with bad lifting form while doing stiff legged deadlifts. I visited my doctor and followed his recovery and I'm feeling better. I've spoken with a few trusted friends that lift and they're suggesting I stick with a lower weight/high rep routine to focus on learning form.

As I said, I trust these folks. I'd like your opinion on focusing on lower weight/high rep during my fat loss cut. I feel that while less efficient in terms of muscle gains, it may be smarter as a beginner to be dealing with weights that I can handle with best form.

Steve
    Low weight/high rep is not ideal for a cut. Heavy weight with low reps is generally best. Heavy is subjective though. To me heavy means I can lift it around 5 times with good form. If I can't do that, I reduce the weight. Good form isn't really a condition of the number of reps you do. It's just as easy to let form slip on your last few reps of a set of 12 as it is to let it slip from the get go on a set of 3. My suggestion is to drop the weigh way down to where you are hitting all your reps with good form and to only increase weight if you can maintain that good form. I'd also consult your doctor and see what they think.
  • vismal
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    I have such a hard time with fiber, I want to eat it but am having trouble finding things I will actually eat DAILY. I'm not a fan of mixing it up in a glass and drinking it either. What do you do for consistant daily consumption that would be sustainable?
    Natural sources such as wheat bran, vegetables, whole wheat breads/pasta, fruits, and beans are a good place to start. If that isn't enough, any product made by fiber-one should have a lot. Certain protein bars also contain a good deal of fiber.
    Thanks for sharing, very inspiring. How do you find the energy to train after a crazy busy day?
    I usually train when I wake up so I'm not much help here.

• Linda73c
    Linda73c Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I started working out April 1, and my goal is to work out 5x a week. Cardio 5 days and Weight Lifting 4 days( upper body mon & wed and lower body on tue and thur). Im a female and dont want to look to bulky. I need to lose about 50 pounds. Do you think I have a good plan? My goal when doing cardio is to burn 500 calories
  • koko1991carrillo
    Options
    How long did it take yu
  • vismal
    Options
    Linda73c wrote: »
    I have a question. I started working out April 1, and my goal is to work out 5x a week. Cardio 5 days and Weight Lifting 4 days( upper body mon & wed and lower body on tue and thur). Im a female and dont want to look to bulky. I need to lose about 50 pounds. Do you think I have a good plan? My goal when doing cardio is to burn 500 calories
    It all depends on diet. IF your goal is weight loss, diet will be the single most important factor. Your exercise regime is fine but if your diet doesn't compliment that regime, you will not achieve your goal.
    How long did it take yu
    The dates are all on the original picture from the very first post.

• chadgledhill
    chadgledhill Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress
  • alberticko253
    Options
    My question is if I have two beers everyday can I still lose body fat
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello. Great job man. I have a question as well. I just started my weight loss journey and need to lose about 150-200lbs. I know this is a slow process and I am prepared for that. My question is do you have any tips for a newbie like myself?

Currenlty, I am doing a combo of lifting in 3 day splits with cardio 2 days. My cardio consists of the treadmill and I have worked my way up to running, albiet only for a few minutes at a time. I have also gotten a food scale and track my food daily making sure to stay under calories.

Any other tips you can provide?
  • Bookluver81
    Bookluver81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great job. You look amazing.
  • vismal
    Options
    My question is if I have two beers everyday can I still lose body fat
    Absolutely. The beers aren't special. They are just liquids that contain calories. Account for those calories and remain in a deficit. If you do, you will still lose weight.
    Hello. Great job man. I have a question as well. I just started my weight loss journey and need to lose about 150-200lbs. I know this is a slow process and I am prepared for that. My question is do you have any tips for a newbie like myself?

Currenlty, I am doing a combo of lifting in 3 day splits with cardio 2 days. My cardio consists of the treadmill and I have worked my way up to running, albiet only for a few minutes at a time. I have also gotten a food scale and track my food daily making sure to stay under calories.

Any other tips you can provide?
    You are doing the two most important things, dieting and exercising. Furthermore, your are weighing you food on a scale. This is literally all you'll ever need to do. Weighing your food to ensure accuracy is always my number one tip to anyone. Now it's just a matter of consistency and time.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!