I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    davidp2711 wrote: »
    Op great story do you have any guides to for starting weights what sort of routeine you stuck to

Thanks
    I recommend beginners do some kind of 5x5 routine that focuses on heavy compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, rows, etc). The ICF 5x5 is great, I also like stronglifts and starting strength.
  • CherylynBen
    CherylynBen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    this may be an old thread, but super inspiring! Thanks for all of the information. Glad I started lifting early. I'm hopeful, then, that my skin will not be loose and gross. Great job!!
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am loosely following IIFYM, need to get better with tracking, what is the least amount of protein I should eat if I need to lose around 55 lbs, I am 27 yrs old 5'7 and currently 215 so I think I am still classified as morbidly obese :s
  • tate0624
    tate0624 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had a couple of questions. Two weeks ago I started exercising every day and lowered my calorie intake to 1500 a day as well as giving up sodas and smoking. Everything is going great down 7lbs so far(started at 205 now at 198 BMI 32 height 5'6) but I'm concerned I may not be getting all the nutrients I need. Is there any particular supplement or vitamin a woman can take that will ensure this while losing weight. Also I hear about protein and whey in shakes and smoothies to help with getting fit. Are these things I should be adding in to what I already do? Thanks for any help. And congrats on your success!!
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Absolutely phenomenal!
  • vismal
    Options
    tag624 wrote: »
    Hi, I am loosely following IIFYM, need to get better with tracking, what is the least amount of protein I should eat if I need to lose around 55 lbs, I am 27 yrs old 5'7 and currently 215 so I think I am still classified as morbidly obese :s
    I'd aim for around 130 a day for now as a minimum number. More details about counting macros can be found here:
  • vismal
    Options
    tate0624 wrote: »
    Hello, I had a couple of questions. Two weeks ago I started exercising every day and lowered my calorie intake to 1500 a day as well as giving up sodas and smoking. Everything is going great down 7lbs so far(started at 205 now at 198 BMI 32 height 5'6) but I'm concerned I may not be getting all the nutrients I need. Is there any particular supplement or vitamin a woman can take that will ensure this while losing weight. Also I hear about protein and whey in shakes and smoothies to help with getting fit. Are these things I should be adding in to what I already do? Thanks for any help. And congrats on your success!!
    I don't think you need to supplement any kind of vitamin unless there is something specifically that you are deficient in. If you eat enough nutrient dense foods on a daily basis you should be fine. I supplement with fish oil and vitamin D because my diet lacks sufficient amounts of both of those things, but this is based on my personal diet.

As far as whey is concerned, treat it like any other food. It is not special or unique. It's simply a high quality source of protein much like chicken, eggs, yogurt, etc. Eat it if you want to and count it towards your protein goal. The fact that it is quick, convenient, and dollar per gram one of the most affordable protein sources makes it appealing to a lot of people. I use whey daily in recipes and mixed with cereal and milk.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What an incredible transformation! thank you for putting all this out there, :D great job...
  • Toutoula2
    Options
    It's awesome. Congrats. You look great. i have one question- have you never had stretch marks? or sagging skin after losing weight? I lost a total of 40 lbs so far and I have some sagging skin on my belly and i hate it. :'(
  • TheGrindalProject
    TheGrindalProject Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wowza! Nicely done Sir! No questions here but this just motivated me to get my workout on for the day!
  • vismal
    Options
    Toutoula2 wrote: »
    It's awesome. Congrats. You look great. i have one question- have you never had stretch marks? or sagging skin after losing weight? I lost a total of 40 lbs so far and I have some sagging skin on my belly and i hate it. :'(
    I have some stretch marks that are basically invisible when I have any kind of a tan. Their are more noticeable now that I'm Ohio winter pale. As far as loose skin, you can really only notice it when I am at my leanest and bending over. These things get better with time and varies a lot from person to person. I've seen people lose much more weight then me and have almost no loose skin, and I've seen people lose half as much and have a severe case of loose skin. The good news is that loose skin, despite not being something anyone wants, isn't really unhealthy, but being obese certainly is!
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness!!
  • nzchikky
    nzchikky Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    wow, super amazing and inspiring. Well done! :)
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration. We're the same height and I weighed close to your starting weight when I stopped and looked myself in the mirror and said to myself that this s**t has got to go.

Thanks for showing us that it can be done!
  • vitreouslawyer
    Options
    Hey Vismal

Good Job with your weight loss. You look ripped and that is great because I was of the perception that if you lift heavy weights you will get big.

I started on 1st Nov, 2014 with Insanity workout at weight 212 Lbs and am down 9 lbs now with 3 inches off my starting waist of 40 inches. I am on day 44 now and I have seen some transformation with Insanity, I am gonna complete it. My question is I was thinking of doing P90X after Insanity but you mentioned lifting heavy is the way to go. So after this Insanity workout should I do p90x or 5X5. Will I lose my belly doing 5X5 as I wanna get ripped like you.

Thanks
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

Thanks i needed to read that this morning. I am so tired of people trying to take over my weight loss and tell me how to do things. Don't know what their problem or intention is but I am sick of hearing things like: You don't really need to track every bite, Oh you can have a little bit, You should be doing lots of reps and low weight, You don't need to lose that much, etc. Gotta ignore those who try and sabotage the plan.

SO the big question is HOW DO YOU FIND OUT WHAT IS TRUE about nutrition and health? The internet is full of stuff, what's good?
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Reading this today 12/14/14 and your still answering questions! God Bless and may you have continued success! Your an amazing inspiration!
  • Beautifullymadetoday
    Options
    ?
  • vismal
    Options
    Hey Vismal

Good Job with your weight loss. You look ripped and that is great because I was of the perception that if you lift heavy weights you will get big.

I started on 1st Nov, 2014 with Insanity workout at weight 212 Lbs and am down 9 lbs now with 3 inches off my starting waist of 40 inches. I am on day 44 now and I have seen some transformation with Insanity, I am gonna complete it. My question is I was thinking of doing P90X after Insanity but you mentioned lifting heavy is the way to go. So after this Insanity workout should I do p90x or 5X5. Will I lose my belly doing 5X5 as I wanna get ripped like you.

Thanks
    p90x will certainly burn more calories then doing a 5x5 but I tend to view programs like that as cardio. I don't think you can even compare a program like that to something like a 5x5. The 5x5 will help ensure that the weight you lose is fat, not lean mass. Also, most people must lose fat, then do period of muscle building (where p90x will not come close to being as effective as a 5x5 for most people) then return to losing fat. This is called bulk/cut cycling and most people must do several cycles until they look the way they want.

• vismal
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

Thanks i needed to read that this morning. I am so tired of people trying to take over my weight loss and tell me how to do things. Don't know what their problem or intention is but I am sick of hearing things like: You don't really need to track every bite, Oh you can have a little bit, You should be doing lots of reps and low weight, You don't need to lose that much, etc. Gotta ignore those who try and sabotage the plan.

SO the big question is HOW DO YOU FIND OUT WHAT IS TRUE about nutrition and health? The internet is full of stuff, what's good?
    There are many reasons other people will try to derail you. Most of the time it's simply that they are trying to help and they are misinformed. Sometimes people become jealous, sometimes they just want you to fail so they can feel better about themselves. The bottom line is it's your weight, it's your body, it's your life. As for knowing where to get fitness information, that's a tricky one. You need to make sure that what they say not only makes sense, but is backed by actual science and research. Plenty of fitness myths make good common sense, but they just simply aren't scientifically accurate.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!