I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

I could have wrote this - applies to where I'm at right now - especially #4 and #5! Congrats on your transformation. I am struggling with #3 at the moment, finding time to workout is my biggest challenge.

I've discovered that you can't find time, you have to make it. If you really want to work out and don't have the time, you have to sacrifice something--for me it's an hour of sleep.
  • 2023AF
    2023AF Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!! It's funny how you posted that video about not eating back your calories. I had that bad mindset my first few days of starting to work out and thought, oh, okay I'll just exercise my butt off and be able to eat some pizza. Now, although I always knew this, even if you stay under your calorie range but eat bad food, the food still has negative effects on your body. Too much sugar, too much fat can cause all sorts of health problems even if you are smaller or loosing weight. Now I'm just trying my best to make healthier decisions and cut down on my junk food eating. Moderation!!! I'm not doing it cold turkey though cause that was what really messed me up when I tried to loose weight in the past. Just cutting down on how much soda, cakes, etc. I eat daily and I'm getting much better. Hopefully soon I will only eat junk food once a month.

A question though, from watching your video about the calories, I weigh around 295 now so if I wanted to loose weight, multiple by let's say 8, I should eat 2360 calories a day even when I exercise?? Or is it when I don't? Or both? Thanks for the tips :)
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You are the MAN!!!
    Congratulations!

I'm down 200lbs, but not like that ....keep it up!

#NeverGiveUp
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just read all 25 pages, start to finish. Thanks so much for taking so much time to FULLY document everything you do, and went through.

I'm just starting out, 265 pounds, 6'1 - Vegetarian - 44 years old. Would like to hit my goal weight of <200 by next new years, 2015 - your plan makes it seem entirely possible.

I have a lot of reasons to do it: for my health, to be more active with my kid, and to look good in a suit.

Which brings me to my question - what size were you when you started, and what are you now? I'm guessing a 40+ inch waist, before and now?

Thanks in advance
    E
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    erichegwer wrote: »
    I just read all 25 pages, start to finish. Thanks so much for taking so much time to FULLY document everything you do, and went through.

I'm just starting out, 265 pounds, 6'1 - Vegetarian - 44 years old. Would like to hit my goal weight of <200 by next new years, 2015 - your plan makes it seem entirely possible.

I have a lot of reasons to do it: for my health, to be more active with my kid, and to look good in a suit.

Which brings me to my question - what size were you when you started, and what are you now? I'm guessing a 40+ inch waist, before and now?

Thanks in advance
    E
    I didn't ever measure my waist before but I worse a size 44-46 jeans and now I wear a size 32 and my waist is around 35in measured at my bellybutton.

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! No questions, just very sincere congrats on your terrific transformation! (*)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic but I keep coming back to this thread to check all your answers to people's questions and every single time I see your pics I think you visually belong in some Greek or Roman epic as one of the warriors. They wouldn't even have to paint on your abs.

:laugh:

He looks angrier now though compared to his old pic. :frown:

Smile OP! :flowerforyou:

Totally going to paint abs on myself.

Nothing is worse than someone who tells another person to "smile." Offensive and controlling remark. The world doesn't owe you smiles on demand.

• liftncycle
    Options
    You look great! good job!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ETA posted in wrong place
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    BUMP for....no words!! Fantastic works I guess!! Stunning.
  • codyf5611
    codyf5611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to lose a good bit of weight right now. You said that you wish you would have did weight training from the beginning. What type of program/split would you suggest for losing weight? Also, what was your calorie deficit every day?I've just started working out again and I've focused on the compound excercises to get my muscles going again since I haven't worked out in a long time. Sorry if you've mentioned it already, I've searched through quite a few pages.
  • Adventure9
    Adventure9 Posts: 58 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks - great thread. I'm on page 20 and will come back and read the rest later. A few of your wisdoms that stood out to me so far.:

-Track calories on MFP all as one meal. (I like this better, plus it stores all my individual foods in one place for adding to future diaries.)

-Use a calorie estimate and just pick a number. Calculators are just estimates anyway. Then track and adjust. If not losing weight after 3 weeks, adjust calories down by 10%. So simple - thank you.

-Track food accurately - use a scale for solid foods. Accurate tracking is probably more of the issue vs. calorie target when weight loss is not happening.

-Weigh Daily and average the measurements over increments of time (like a week).

-Don't deprive yourself of foods you love - eat them in moderation. (I love ice cream also!)

-Take a diet break week every 8-12 weeks. Break being defined as eating maintenance calories, not binging.

-Lift weights regularly to maintain or build lean muscle.

• squatmami
    squatmami Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How or did you measure your body fat percentage whilst on your journey ? Its hard to know if were doing it right with weight training when we have fat to loose as the scales can move very slowly if at all :(
  • Adventure9
    Adventure9 Posts: 58 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    removed post.
  • cali8_love
    cali8_love Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow u look great
  • vismal
    Options
    codyf5611 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to lose a good bit of weight right now. You said that you wish you would have did weight training from the beginning. What type of program/split would you suggest for losing weight? Also, what was your calorie deficit every day?I've just started working out again and I've focused on the compound excercises to get my muscles going again since I haven't worked out in a long time. Sorry if you've mentioned it already, I've searched through quite a few pages.
    Compound exercises work just fine. I usually recommend 5x5 routines to beginners. ICF 5x5, and stronglifts are both decent choices.

• vismal
    Options
    squatmami wrote: »
    How or did you measure your body fat percentage whilst on your journey ? Its hard to know if were doing it right with weight training when we have fat to loose as the scales can move very slowly if at all :(
    I don't measure body fat percentage. There is no reliable way (that is also affordable) to do it. It to me is also a meaningless number. Most people care about how they feel, or how they look. The number will change nothing. If at my leanest you said I was 10% body fat, or 13% body fat, it would not have changed how I felt physically or what I looked like. You know if you are lean, and you know if your aren't by looking in a mirror. If your before and after pictures don't look different after a couple months, you don't need a number to tell you that something in your program isn't working...

• brayfamily586
    brayfamily586 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Inspirational! Thank you for sharing…..
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wow. Awesome. Good of you to put yourself out here for everyone's benefit.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!