Advice for a girl trying to gain??

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm feeling a little lost with my aim of gaining weight - it would be really helpful to get some advice!

So I am currently 5ft 7' and 111lbs. I know this is underweight and I want to try to gain as best that I can. I want to gain back some strength as a feel weak a lot of the time and get back into my sports. I'm currently aiming for 120lbs then I can set a new goal when I see how I feel.

So I currently using MyFitnessPal I have put in the goal of gaining weight and it has given me 2140 calories a day for gaining weight - this is a lot more than I am currently consuming which is around 1300-1400 a day.
I also put in that I would be working out 3 times a week to get me back into my sports - I want to achieve my first 5K run this year and so I have started the couch to 5K program. I know that his is not beneficial when gaining weight,however I hope that it will help me gain back some muscle and stamina.

Any advice on getting back to a healthy, happy weight and gaining back my strength?
Many thanks!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would say eat to the number that MFP is giving you and see how it goes. If you are trying to gain weight then cardio is going to be counter productive because the calorie burns are going to mean that you have to eat more to gain. I would suggest a strength training program like strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman < do you have access to a gym?

Also, while you should eat nutrient dense foods like vegetables, chicken, rice, fish, etc, you should also fill in your calories with ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc as these foods are more calorie dense and will help you reach your goal.

Make sure that you are hitting your macro minimums for protein/fat/carbs and also make sure that you are hitting your micros ..
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would say eat to the number that MFP is giving you and see how it goes. If you are trying to gain weight then cardio is going to be counter productive because the calorie burns are going to mean that you have to eat more to gain. I would suggest a strength training program like strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman < do you have access to a gym?

Also, while you should eat nutrient dense foods like vegetables, chicken, rice, fish, etc, you should also fill in your calories with ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc as these foods are more calorie dense and will help you reach your goal.

Make sure that you are hitting your macro minimums for protein/fat/carbs and also make sure that you are hitting your micros ..

This this this!

The 5k training will take strength and gains AWAY from you at this time. Why don't you have it as a reward for when you've got your weight up?

Weight training and calories for you me lovely. Do that first.
  • zobofate
    zobofate Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice - I knew that running would do the opposite from gaining - although I love running I think it will be best to postpone this until I've gained some weight and then restart my couch to 5K program when I'm a little stronger. Strength training, I'll admit, for me sounds terrifying but I know that once I get into it I'll love it. I'm going to have a look at New Rules of Lifting and start the program at the gym while continuing with MFP calorie and macro goals.

Thanks for your help!
  • zobofate
    Options

This this this!

The 5k training will take strength and gains AWAY from you at this time. Why don't you have it as a reward for when you've got your weight up?

Thanks for the advice - going to start the journey of lifting for the first time! Wish me luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    zobofate wrote: »

Thanks for the advice - I knew that running would do the opposite from gaining - although I love running I think it will be best to postpone this until I've gained some weight and then restart my couch to 5K program when I'm a little stronger. Strength training, I'll admit, for me sounds terrifying but I know that once I get into it I'll love it. I'm going to have a look at New Rules of Lifting and start the program at the gym while continuing with MFP calorie and macro goals.

Thanks for your help!

you are welcome and good luck!

You can still do some cardio, but I would limit it to no more than 30 minutes a week ...

so maybe jog/walk a mile or two once a week but no more than that...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

This this this!

Thanks for the advice - going to start the journey of lifting for the first time! Wish me luck!

Good luck!
    As much as I looooove running, lifting is a bigger buzz, and it's done far more for my figure than running ever did.

• brineelu
    brineelu Posts: 3
    Options
    [ hi i need help quote="zobofate;10132351"]Hi everyon

I'm feeling a little lost with my aim of gaining weight - it would be really helpful to get some advice!

So I am currently 5ft 7' and 111lbs. I know this is underweight and I want to try to gain as best that I can. I want to gain back some strength as a feel weak a lot of the time and get back into my sports. I'm currently aiming for 120lbs then I can set a new goal when I see how I feel.

So I currently using MyFitnessPal I have put in the goal of gaining weight and it has given me 2140 calories a day for gaining weight - this is a lot more than I am currently consuming which is around 1300-1400 a day.
    I also put in that I would be working out 3 times a week to get me back into my sports - I want to achieve my first 5K run this year and so I have started the couch to 5K program. I know that his is not beneficial when gaining weight,however I hope that it will help me gain back some muscle and stamina.

Any advice on getting back to a healthy, happy weight and gaining back my strength?
    Many thanks![/quote]

This this this!

Good luck!
    As much as I looooove running, lifting is a bigger buzz, and it's done far more for my figure than running ever did.

• brineelu
    brineelu Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi how did u put on 36 pounds I need to know
  • zobofate
    Options

Hi again - just got a question for you. I'm continuing with the calorie amount that MFP has set for me and I've been following the macro nutrients also, however where can I find my micro nutrients and will these be set automatically by MFP?

Thanks for your help!
  • Spheee
    Spheee Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you look under "my home" and "settings" to a page called "Food and Exercise Diary Settings", you'll see that you can view a number of different targets... some of the options are micronutrients, such as vitamins and iron. You can also just focus on high nutrient density. Joel Fuhrman (especially in "Super Immunity") and Terry Wahls have great info on high nutrient density with vegetables and fruits. For high nutrient density with animal products, prioritize shellfish, wild fish with high omega 3 levels, and organ meat and other offal (including fats) from grassfed beef, wild game, and other well raised animals. Good quality fish oil is a good supplement to take as well. Too bad MFP doesn't track omega 3 vs 6...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This this this!

Girl please- you don't need luck... you need a plan- and a calorie surplus. And time/patience.

Lift.
    Eat.
    Sleep.
    Rest.

lather

Rinse

repeat.

you got this.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what JoRocka said.

You already stated that you know running takes some of the benefits of lifting. It also helps with certain aspects of lifting. If you are set on doing both, its not the worse thing. I would run right after your lifting session, not on day offs. Give your body true rest. You can also do hill sprints which is the only cardio proven to build muscle when eating in a surplus and also is very beneficial to running training as well. At your current weight you would barely burn 200 calories running, so eating a bagel or doughnut would erase those calories burnt easily.

I've run anywhere from 35-90 miles in a week and if you can eat enough calories, you can do both and see gains. I would be surprised if C25K would have you training more than20 miles a week at any time. You just have to listen to your body and adjust your plan accordingly.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    C25k is, at most, a 5k (or 30 minutes of running), 3x a week. 9 miles per week, total, at the very end of the program (you don't start out with that mileage). If you're really struggling to hit your surplus, that much running could make it more difficult, but that's really not a ton of extra calories to eat back.