Building Upper Body Strength-HELP!

Options
I need to build up some upper body strength as mine sucks, do you have any tips or recommendations? I need to start out REALLY basic!

Thank you so much!

Replies

• ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you currently doing?
  • ReynaDay01
    Options
    Mostly walking, biking and some various Planks and sit-ups. I don't know of many arm things you can do without a ton of different weights and things.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Start doing weights. Shoulders, biceps and triceps. Gradually up the weight.
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You don't need a ton of different weights - since you're just starting out get some 2 and 5 lbs - you can also do body weight training. Nothing like push ups to build upper body - also tricep dips, tricep push ups, shoulder push ups... etc. Weighted jump ropes are good....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, they don't require anything but a wall (to start,) a chair (when you get a little stronger,) or a floor.
  • ReynaDay01
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Push-ups, they don't require anything but a wall (to start,) a chair (when you get a little stronger,) or a floor.

I hadn't though of wall push ups. How do you do them with a chair?

Thank you to everyone else!
  • Squig1102
    Squig1102 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stretch tubes and resistance bands are awesome and affordable.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5.

A gallon of milk is 8 pounds. You really need to push yourself a little to get them gains.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Push ups are great as you can change the angle as you become stronger, until you eventually get to the floor and toes. You can also do them on stairs--keep your feet on the floor and hands on stairs, reduce the angle as you get stronger.

If you have access to a chin up bar negative chin ups/pull ups are great at improving strength.

But the best way to build upper body strength is to do a progressive overload strength training program such as Stronglifts, NROLFW.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Google "standing push ups" - they are much easier done against a wall, or using a couch. You can also use things like bottles of water or soup cans for some resistance.
    Other moves you can google for form: Bicep curls, skull crushers, lateral raises, overhead press, chest press, arm raise, bent-over rows
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    A great place to start:

Convict Conditioning

convict-conditioning-cover.jpg

Give it a good read and see what you think.
  • ReynaDay01
    Options
    That sounds interesting. I will give it a read in a few minutes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ReynaDay01 wrote: »
    tigersword wrote: »

I hadn't though of wall push ups. How do you do them with a chair?

Thank you to everyone else!

Place your hands on the seat of the chair, feet on the floor. It's a transitional step from doing them against the wall to doing them on the floor. Anything that elevates your upper body off the floor will make push-ups easier, then you move progressively lower as you get stronger, and can even eventually elevate your feet to increase the challenge.
  • ReynaDay01
    Options
    Right. I can only think of chairs that roll most of the time. Silly me and my odd love of office chairs.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Dips, Pull-ups (wide grip, close grip, etc.), Chin-ups, Push-ups, Benchpress, SOHP.