Pizza :(

Options
soonillbehot
soonillbehot Posts: 26 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So I was planning on getting some falafel wrap today but ended up in Dominos. It's really cheap, 3 pounds for small gluten-free pizza! I ordered the small gluten-free pizza with reduced fat cheese and extra pineapple topping.

According to UK site: http://corporate.dominos.co.uk/Media/Default/CSR/Nutritional info -TAFL/Nutritional Info - May 2014-1.pdf

1 slice of gluten-free pizza with normal cheese and no extra toppings costs me 96.6 cal which puts me 579.6 calories for 6 slices + 87 calories from the garlic dip. But there are no information on how much calories does it add if I add pineapple as an extra topping and opted for the reduced fat cheese.

Can someone please enlighten me? I'm quite worried.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'd think pineapple and reduced fat cheese would almost cancel. They may put like 50 calories TOTAL of pineapple on a whole pizza.
  • soonillbehot
    edited April 2015
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I'd think pineapple and reduced fat cheese would almost cancel. They may put like 50 calories TOTAL of pineapple on a whole pizza.

that's what I'm hoping for. It would set me back to ~700 calories incl the dip. Should have passed on the dip. Contains more calories than the extra toppings itself.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    First, take a deep breath. Pizza should never cause this much pain. Does the Dominos website not provide any info for other pizzas with pineapple so that you could compare the calories and do a bit of math? Maybe it has a separate calorie section just for toppings? You could always add and subtract until you reach a better estimate.

TBH, if it were me I'd just input the calories that you did find and cut my losses. You saved a little on the reduced-fat cheese and ate a little extra in pineapple. Your food diary will never be perfectly accurate when you eat on the go. Even if your pizza were ordered exactly as listed in the nutrition facts, there is still variation because each pizza is made individually by different people working in different stores. As long as you're conscious of this fact, then you will be ok. Just keep an eye on your other meals and/or work out a little more. Stressing out about this stuff makes it hard to stick with it. Just maintain a deficit.

Now that that's handled, maybe we could all discuss how happy-pizza-time could be improved. Margherita pizza is my fave, but I could really go for some pepperoni and jalapenos right now. I'm feeling a thin crust. (Thanks for making want pizza, btw. :p )
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Now I'm going to have to attempt a tortilla pizza for lunch.
  • soonillbehot
    Options
    First, take a deep breath. Pizza should never cause this much pain. Does the Dominos website not provide any info for other pizzas with pineapple so that you could compare the calories and do a bit of math? Maybe it has a separate calorie section just for toppings? You could always add and subtract until you reach a better estimate.

TBH, if it were me I'd just input the calories that you did find and cut my losses. You saved a little on the reduced-fat cheese and ate a little extra in pineapple. Your food diary will never be perfectly accurate when you eat on the go. Even if your pizza were ordered exactly as listed in the nutrition facts, there is still variation because each pizza is made individually by different people working in different stores. As long as you're conscious of this fact, then you will be ok. Just keep an eye on your other meals and/or work out a little more. Stressing out about this stuff makes it hard to stick with it. Just maintain a deficit.

Now that that's handled, maybe we could all discuss how happy-pizza-time could be improved. Margherita pizza is my fave, but I could really go for some pepperoni and jalapenos right now. I'm feeling a thin crust. (Thanks for making want pizza, btw. :p )

You know what they said about pizza, a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. Anyway thanks! The ham and pineapple gluten-free pizza with normal mozzarella cheese contains 109.8 calories for each slices. I guessed 100 calories a slice should do it? I would put it as 650 calories in total incl the dip. Since I walked quite a bit to get the pizza :smiley:
    ReynaDay01 wrote: »

Don't make me craving for some more :cry:
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eating pizza from places like Dominos is always going to be a crapshoot in terms of calories anyway. You never really know what you're getting. The best you can do is estimate. Even the calories they give you on the Dominos site is an estimate. There's no way they know that every slice of cheese pizza, even if the same weight in grams, is exactly 96.6 calories. They estimate. Unless every worker accurately weighs cheese, sauce, etc when they put it on the pizza and spread it evenly across the pizza, the amounts, and therefore the calories, will vary per slice. This is true with any food you eat in a restaurant. Just like when I get a chicken sandwich somewhere and get it with mayo. Sometimes there is a ton of mayo and other times hardly any. Now, I still go by the calorie amount they give me on the site, but I also know the calorie count in these foods will always vary depending on who makes them. Sometimes I will add some quick add calories if it looks like the person making my food got carried away with the sauce, lol. Anyway, give it your best estimate and move on. That's all you can do.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Gluten free and pineapple in the context of pizza is alarming, not to mention low fat cheese. :p
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options

You know what they said about pizza, a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. Anyway thanks! The ham and pineapple gluten-free pizza with normal mozzarella cheese contains 109.8 calories for each slices. I guessed 100 calories a slice should do it? I would put it as 650 calories in total incl the dip. Since I walked quite a bit to get the pizza :smiley:
    ReynaDay01 wrote: »

Don't make me craving for some more :cry:

Hey, thin people still eat pizza! :D It's all about balancing calories.

Pizza should never make anyone sad. Pizza is happiness. B)
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    Gluten free and pineapple in the context of pizza is alarming, not to mention low fat cheese. :p

:s I thought that too. I mean, some people love pineapple on pizza, but all of it together made me sad. I didn't want to say anything about the gluten free crust in case the OP really had a sensitivity. OP if you can have the regular crust it's so much tastier! Gluten free doesn't mean lower calories! Save yourself (from bad pizza)! It doesn't have to be this way! :o
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Eat the pizza, enjoy the pizza, log it and move on.

Agree with others that Pizza should not result in a :( face. Unless it has cauliflower crust.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Don't eat 6 slices of it?

I would cut it in half and eat half today, half tomorrow.

I eat pizza at least once a week. I eat 2 or 3 small slices and have veggies or a salad on the side. Pizza doesn't have to be the entire meal, just a part of it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You'll be alright. Pineapples aren't much to add on. You ate it....now move on.

I currently have sitting in front of me a bowl with a half pound of ground beef, cauliflower and cheese for a total 761 cal......

yes I said cauliflower :wink:
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

I AGREE! I eat me some pizza every friday night. like 4 big slices and some garlic bread! yum....is it friday yet?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat the whole pizza?
  • hosijoe
    hosijoe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A 1/2 cup of Dole pineapple tidbits is 60 calories.
    Source: I Own a pizza shop and looked at the can.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i log it as 700 calorie meal. no big deal.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your calories really, but curious about the menu. What is 'American Hot'? 'Mexican Hot'?

Also: mustard on pizza...?

100cal per slice pizza is pretty nice though. I'd eat at least 6 slices too :smiley:
  • knutson_ashley
    knutson_ashley Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Very well said! :)

On your other note for "happy-pizza-time", I make a low carb skillet pizza that is so easy and so good!! you have to eat it with a fork, but so good! lol:)
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    Not sure about your calories really, but curious about the menu. What is 'American Hot'? 'Mexican Hot'?

Also: mustard on pizza...?

100cal per slice pizza is pretty nice though. I'd eat at least 6 slices too :smiley:

Is it just me, or do "American Hot" and "Mexican Hot" both sound delicious?
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    arknutson wrote: »

Very well said! :)

On your other note for "happy-pizza-time", I make a low carb skillet pizza that is so easy and so good!! you have to eat it with a fork, but so good! lol:)

;)

I can't really judge you for using a fork to eat pizza because I use a fork when I eat a hot dog. Everyone judges me, lol.