Treadmill or Outdoors

Options
So the debated question, which one is better?

I'm trying to keep my weight in check and had been using the treadmill, but as the weather got nicer the dreaded 1hour+ runs seemed less appealing. I was able to run at least 13 miles at 7.0 and on a 1% incline on the treadmill but recently I got a fitbit and now run outside which I adore and understand why I see so many avid joggers/ runners outside in all elements.

My only problem is I'm a numbers person, so watching my progress on the treadmill makes it seem like I'm getting better (in reality I've been stuck at the same rate for months), when I run outside I can get maybe 11 miles and a lot slower, mind you I take hills..lots of hills but I'm scared the work out isn't as good for me as if I was to slug away at the treadmill...

I mean exercise isn't suppose to be fun right? running outside for me is and i'm afraid I'm going to ruin my efforts.

Replies

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Which one is better? The one that you enjoy more and/or works best for you. I don't mean to be flippant, but it really just boils down to that. I enjoy running outside more, but it is harder on my joints, so I also enjoy the treadmill.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I read that running outdoors forces you to use your hamstrings more than on a treadmill. You have to work harder to propel yourself outside, whereas on the treadmill, the belt 'does the work' for you as far as propulsion goes. Treadmill creates more of an "up" motion and is limiting a person's stride. As always, that can be debated, but I thought it was interesting and I know that when I walk (or do the occasional run) outside, the areas that I feel it are always different from indoor to outdoors. May want to research that and see what you find for yourself!

Do what you like to do - so you'll stick to it! Enjoy!
  • Allgoingtomakeit
    Options
    I agree, do what you enjoy. As for numbers I understand completely.

'Run keeper' app. You know it? Its great, logs your miles, where you went and you can rig it so it tells you at intervals what speed you are doing, kcals burnt etc.

You could take that a step further and get a heart rate monitor too. In fact there are specific ones you can link to run keeper (I believe). So, able to study your body even better and lots of number crunching data :-) let us know your outcome.
  • jess031988
    jess031988 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just a fit bit charge HR, love it but there is no GPS. I have researched and have read yes running is better outside, and then the next article says no treadmill. I'm just going to stick with outdoors, I mean why slug at running inside if it's beautiful? might as well enjoy myself and have adventures
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill. I love it. But i also love being outside. My problem is that i can run on the treadmill while the kids are in bed. I can't run outside when the kids are in bed. Stop until they're old enough to look after themselves in stuck on my treadmill.

But i think that the best one is the one you enjoy the most
  • wolfie2001snow
    Options
    Try both. It will give you your numbers, and you could have fun. Maybe doing it every other day? Like treadmill monday, wednesday, Friday one week, and outdoors Tuesday, thursday. Then the next week vice versa.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have a local park I can run around. It's flat so thhie's no incline. I kind of wish there was but as I'm only starting out at running a flat track is enough for me to handle right now! While the weather is pleasant I'm going to run outside. But once the summer humidity kicks in I'll probably prefer to go to a gym.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Outdoors for sure! I can barely stay on the hamster wheel for 15 minutes, but give me a few city blocks or a trail and I can go for an hour or more, happily.

I think most folk will tell you running outdoors requires more of you as you have to avoid potholes, rocks, etc. and there's hills and wind resistance. You're also forced to use your hamstrings a great deal more to propel yourself. Don't assume that just because you're moving a little more slowly outdoors than on the treadmill that you're not getting the same (if not more) benefit!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you love running outdoors, run outdoors! No reason to make exercise a chore!
    I use the Strava app, which will sync with the HRM, track elevation change and GPS (it's really accurate, even on trails) map your route. It also has a handy feature that will compare your performances on given routes or segments over time. It tells you when you get new PRs and compares your paces with everyone else who ran those segments. I'm two seconds off the Queen of the Mountain's pace on one bike segment and am bound and determined to steal that crown this spring.
    Could definitely help you feel like your progressing.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    jess031988 wrote: »
    I mean exercise isn't suppose to be fun right? running outside for me is and i'm afraid I'm going to ruin my efforts.

wow, this is a horrible way to look at it. exercise is the most fun part of my day. i look forward to it, and i'd rather run outside than inside any day of the week. all winter, i think i ran indoors maybe three times.

just because it's fun, doesn't mean it's not effective.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    jess031988 wrote: »

wow, this is a horrible way to look at it. exercise is the most fun part of my day. i look forward to it, and i'd rather run outside than inside any day of the week. all winter, i think i ran indoors maybe three times.

just because it's fun, doesn't mean it's not effective.
    This! If you're enjoying yourself, it's definitely going to be far more likely to do it consistently than if you're miserable. If you can find forms of exercise that you dig doing, all the better!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't exercise be fun? Exercise SHOULD be fun, because you're much more likely to keep doing it.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Outdoors.

When I do indoors, I have a set time, I don't have to push myself that hard and it seems like a chore.

When I do outdoors, the sights, the scenery, its still the same time allotment but for some reason it seems more interactive, engaging.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I use a two mile run with my dog as a warm up to using my elliptical or weight lifting. I like the workout a lot on the elliptical... but I really love running with my dog to (now that she is trained).

So I do both. I run everyday with my dog (do the elliptical three days and lift weights 3 days)..

Do what works and more importantly what you love!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    treadmill for me., its a safer and softer situation
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Actually a training run done right should feel very relaxing the vast majority of time.
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've found that running outdoors is a lot more challenging. You not only have elevation and terrain changes, even on pavement, but like others have said you are actually propelling yourself through space. Reality trumps simulation any day.

I think you also have to pay a lot more attention to your body to maintain the pace you want, there's no number to glance down at to see how hard your pushing yourself. You have to learn to read your own stride and breathing.

• roostking1
    roostking1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Since you are already running with the treadmill at 1% incline, you are mimicking running outdoors somewhat. With that said, do what feels best! Enjoy the outdoors while you can, then go back inside when you cant!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Outdoors all the way. Scenery, fresh air, dogs to pet, I love everything about it.

I hate that you can't change your pace on the fly with a treadmill. You have to input the numbers and wait for it to speed up or slow down.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    treadmill for me., its a safer and softer situation

I would not run alone anymore...I don't bike alone anymore. At my gym they have a run club and bike club and that makes running and or biking outdoors safer...so maybe you could look into something like that.