Female trying to gain muscle tone?

Options
I was trying to lose about 15-18 lbs, but now that I've lost 12 I've realized the body I want isn't lean but toned. I need help with a plan to gain muscle mass, because I've only ever focused on losing fat. I'm not sure how to change my diet or even if I need to. Any help to get started would be much appreciated!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    A good start would be reading the sticky in the gaining forum ...

but here is what I would say:

set MFP to .5 pound per week gain and eat to that number.
    pick a heavy lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman and follow said program.
    make sure that you eat nutrient dense foods, but also fill that in with calorie dense foods like ice cream, bagels, pasta, etc.
    hit your macro/micro/calorie targets
    repeat until you get desired results..

the number that you eat to, to gain, is going to be trial and error so you may have to adjust it...

Also, back all cardio down to 30 minutes a week max.
  • jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    See, this terrifies me. I don't want to gain fat and with calorie dense foods and cardio once a week it sounds very unhealthy. The last time I lost weight though I actually got too low on the BMI scale, and I'm trying to avoid that again. Ugh.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, are you trying to gain muscle mass or just have a less flabby body?
  • ndj1979
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    See, this terrifies me. I don't want to gain fat and with calorie dense foods and cardio once a week it sounds very unhealthy. The last time I lost weight though I actually got too low on the BMI scale, and I'm trying to avoid that again. Ugh.

if you want to gain muscle then some fat gain is going to happen. Typically it is a 1:1 ratio, so if you gain 10 pounds it will be five pounds of fat and five pounds of muscle...

You could go for a recomp, where you eat at maintenance and then lose some body fat and gain some muscle...it is however, a slow process...or at least that is my understanding.

What would be unhealthy about gaining muscle? You indicated that you are not happy with your current progress, so why not try something different?

Do you currently strength train/lift heavy?

Do you know what your current body fat % is?
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good for you -- natural muscles on girls are hot!

If you've never lifted weights before, the easiest way to get started is to use the machines. But they are limiting -- once you start getting stronger they're not ideal for your joint health. I would recommend you hire a trainer to teach you to do freeweight exercises like barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press, and so on, because you won't be limited by the equipment. Having an experienced person watching to make sure your form is good is really important.

This is a pretty good program for getting started, it will give you a good overall balance, hitting all the major muscle groups and giving you good looking balanced muscle development. Some people recommend lower reps at higher weights (like 5 sets of 5 reps), but I think 8-10 reps is the best for beginners -- you will still get good strength and muscle growth, with less risk of injury.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    caurinus wrote: »

If you've never lifted weights before, the easiest way to get started is to use the machines. But they are limiting -- once you start getting stronger they're not ideal for your joint health. I would recommend you hire a trainer to teach you to do freeweight exercises like barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press, and so on, because you won't be limited by the equipment. Having an experienced person watching to make sure your form is good is really important.

This is a pretty good program for getting started, it will give you a good overall balance, hitting all the major muscle groups and giving you good looking balanced muscle development. Some people recommend lower reps at higher weights (like 5 sets of 5 reps), but I think 8-10 reps is the best for beginners -- you will still get good strength and muscle growth, with less risk of injury.

What are unnatural muscles?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    caurinus wrote: »

What are unnatural muscles?

ones generated by steroid use????????
  • jangus9416
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you want to gain muscle then some fat gain is going to happen. Typically it is a 1:1 ratio, so if you gain 10 pounds it will be five pounds of fat and five pounds of muscle...

You could go for a recomp, where you eat at maintenance and then lose some body fat and gain some muscle...it is however, a slow process...or at least that is my understanding.

What would be unhealthy about gaining muscle? You indicated that you are not happy with your current progress, so why not try something different?

Do you currently strength train/lift heavy?

Do you know what your current body fat % is?

Gaining muscle isn't unhealthy, just the calorie dense foods. I'm used to a 1200 calorie day with fruits and vegetables, I'm not really sure how to do anything different. I also prefer eating the most natural foods possible.
  • jangus9416
    Options
    I do currently strength train and I haven't gotten my body fat since before I started losing weight. I'm 5'5" and 118 so I'm pretty small. Two years ago I got down to 108
  • hnovak0103
    hnovak0103 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started doing Insanity 5 weeks ago and it is giving me great muscle definition without gaining weight. I eat 1500 cal a day. I think its a great program because it builds muscle and is a cardio workout but no equipment is need.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hnovak0103 wrote: »
    I started doing Insanity 5 weeks ago and it is giving me great muscle definition without gaining weight. I eat 1500 cal a day. I think its a great program because it builds muscle and is a cardio workout but no equipment is need.

You're not building muscle A.) with cardio and B.) eating at a caloric deficit.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I do currently strength train and I haven't gotten my body fat since before I started losing weight. I'm 5'5" and 118 so I'm pretty small. Two years ago I got down to 108

Ok, lets go over a few things..

calorie dense foods are not "unhealthy." You really need to rethink how you are viewing food and stop thinking about it in terms of "good" "bad", etc, and just view it for what it is, which is something that fuels our body.

There is nothing wrong with eating ice cream, bagels, pasta etc, in the context of an overall diet that hits macros/micros/calorie targets for the day.

Yes, you should eat eggs, whole wheat, rice, chicken, fish, vegetables, but there is nothing wrong with throwing in bagels, cookies, ice cream, etc.

when you want to add muscle calories are king. You can bulk on 100% broccoli, chicken, rice, and vegetables (good luck doing that as you are going to be miserable) and you will still gain fat.

This is very important - no matter what foods you eat if you are in a calorie surplus then you are going to gain weight.

Do you follow a structured strength training program, or is it a homemade one?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hnovak0103 wrote: »

If you are new to training you may gain some small amount of muscle, but I doubt you are gaining muscle doing insanity and eating 1500..

what you are seeing is probably newbie gains + body fat reduction + water retention = appearance of gaining muscle...
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of body weight/resistance training and BodyPump (weights). I'd say Google some body weight routines and start there - add weights if you want more definition.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Ok, lets go over a few things..

calorie dense foods are not "unhealthy." You really need to rethink how you are viewing food and stop thinking about it in terms of "good" "bad", etc, and just view it for what it is, which is something that fuels our body.

There is nothing wrong with eating ice cream, bagels, pasta etc, in the context of an overall diet that hits macros/micros/calorie targets for the day.

Yes, you should eat eggs, whole wheat, rice, chicken, fish, vegetables, but there is nothing wrong with throwing in bagels, cookies, ice cream, etc.

when you want to add muscle calories are king. You can bulk on 100% broccoli, chicken, rice, and vegetables (good luck doing that as you are going to be miserable) and you will still gain fat.

This is very important - no matter what foods you eat if you are in a calorie surplus then you are going to gain weight.

Do you follow a structured strength training program, or is it a homemade one?

OP please please listen to this golden advice! I floundered around skinny fat for years, decades, starve binging.
    It's only since I learned to bulk and cut have I managed to get a body that i can't take my eyes off (sounds vain I know, but I was mortally embarrassed about my sagginess so I'm entitled!)

Bulk until you can't squeeze into your clothes, then slow slow cut. Hey presto! A new hot body

Also, imagine a life where you can eat 2000/2500 calories a day of good food AND treats, and still have great measurements...... It's a dream.
  • fightingwombats
    fightingwombats Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are definitely going to have to change your meals if you want go from losing to gaining. Carbs and fat are going to help. You will gain some fat along the way to building muscle, and you have to be prepared for that. Don't be afraid!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    A LOT of solid advice in here.
  • kiwiinmn
    kiwiinmn Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there, I understand your issue of gaining fat while trying to build your muscle mass. What you need to do initially is have a body fat analysis done so that you know what your lean body mass - fat mass is so that you can then establish a daily caloric intake that will support muscle gain and limit fat gain. I understand that your trying to muscle up an not bulk up, so if you don't know what your daily caloric intake should be (the only accurate way to get to this point is to know how much lean body mass you have) then you can never gain muscle without also gaining as much as, or more fat.

Here in our facility we use an anthropological lbw / fat testing method which is very non invasive and as easy as measuring as accurately as you can... your wrist with the tape measure running over the bony protrusion, your forarm at the widest point, your waist running the tape measure in a straight line at belly button height, your hips running a tape measure around the very top of your hip bones, and weighing yourself first thing in the am upon rising and having gone to the bathroom and completely naked. Knowing these measurements and your naked weight we then run them thru a program and can pretty accurately determine your LBW (lean body weight) and your fat weight. From there with some additional calculations we can figure out your BMR (basal metobolic rate, the rate at which your body burns calories while laying on the couch doing nothing but not sleeping), factor in your activity levels and give you a pretty accurate caloric need for the day and what you should take in for adding muscle to your frame while keeping the fat gains to a bare minimum.

One also has to difference between strength training and hypertrophy training (muscle building) which is what you want.

If you want to send me your measurements I would be happy to figure out your daily caloric needs, broken down into carbs/proteins/fats for you and offer up some advice as to how to go about implementing a hypertrophy training program.

With the right nutritional plan, adherence to a regular hypertrophy training program, adequate rest, a good positive mental attitude and a view to the future there is no reason why you cannot put on good quality muscle mass and keep the fat levels to a bare minimum.

This will not happen in a week or a month but you should be in this for life and not looking for any quick fix, for if you are then you can expect to put on plenty of fat with your muscle gain.

However you decide to go about your muscle gain, all the best and even if your not looking to get more muscular keep exercising and training hard to stay fit and healthy.

• jangus9416
    Options
    Thank you for all of the help! I think I'll keep doing research and find what I really want to do and make sure I'm doing it right. Also, if you view my diary after reading that I like to eat nutritional food, just ignore the chickfila
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options