Do you think about food 24/7/365?

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
I do. My world revolves around food and it drives me insane.

When I wake up I want to eat immediately, while I'm eating I'm planning what I'll eat later for lunch and dinner - all day I'm thinking about what I want for a snack and what I should and shouldn't eat.... I even dream about food and cooking!

Is something wrong with me?? I'm not really feeling like this is a positive thing in my life - as it intrudes in my ability to concentrate on other things that need to be taken care of. I've been this way about 5 years now, ever since I started my weight loss journey and on into maintenance (and continual re-loss and gain of those last darn 10 pounds!)

Any ideas on how to change this? Food is my world, it is not just a nutritional aspect of life to me. I really resent that I can't (don't know how) get away from seeing it the way I do.

:grumble:

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I do too!!!!!! It makes me feel crazy!!! I've also probably got a touch of OCD (not diagnosed but I really do believe I've got it... anyway) so the whole counting calories thing is also pretty intrusive. At least I WANT to do that - but the whole thinking about food constantly, I know exactly what you mean.

It's either - YAY I did good! Or DAMMIT I did bad! Followed up by What Next? When? How Much? I'm hungry, no I'm not, I'm bored... etc etc etc RELENTLESSLY.

So I'm not much help, obviously lol but at least you're not alone...
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    yes. but in a good way. I used to eat food all the time but not pay attention to it. I find myself really paying attention to it now.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I do. My world revolves around food and it drives me insane.

When I wake up I want to eat immediately, while I'm eating I'm planning what I'll eat later for lunch and dinner - all day I'm thinking about what I want for a snack and what I should and shouldn't eat.... I even dream about food and cooking!

Is something wrong with me?? I'm not really feeling like this is a positive thing in my life - as it intrudes in my ability to concentrate on other things that need to be taken care of. I've been this way about 5 years now, ever since I started my weight loss journey and on into maintenance (and continual re-loss and gain of those last darn 10 pounds!)

Any ideas on how to change this? Food is my world, it is not just a nutritional aspect of life to me. I really resent that I can't (don't know how) get away from seeing it the way I do.

:grumble:

Yep...and I think it is a bad thing. I want to get in the habit of planning My meal(s) and be done, if I have to adjust, do that at the end of the day. Prollem, MFP is such a good Social Networking site that it is hard to stay off.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that. now my world revolves around eating healthy and being active. and learning all i can about how food affects my body!! and i used to have cravings alot too, but eating clean helped get rid of that.
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    I was this way for sooo long. I have no idea what changed in me, but I can now say I don't obsess over food and it feels wonderful. I hope someday you get the same results and I wish I could tell you what helped me. Best of luck
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I used to think about food all the time. At work, during class, while taking a test, while eating food, etc. However, I have some friends who really like working out. Now, all I ever think about is working out.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Many people- I being one of them- turn to food for a variety of reasons.

May I recommend a book entitled, Made To Crave? You can find it @ Wal*Mart in the inspirational section. The author, Lysa TerKeurst, battled this this herself- and that's what the book's about- her journey to overcome this in her life.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Many people- I being one of them- turn to food for a variety of reasons.

May I recommend a book entitled, Made To Crave? You can find it @ Wal*Mart in the inspirational section. The author, Lysa TerKeurst, battled this this herself- and that's what the book's about- her journey to overcome this in her life.

I will look for that, thanks :smile:

At least I know I'm not alone now... LOL
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    YES! It is ridiculous, I know....but YES. :sad:
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Me mememememe! This is me!

I LOVE to eat. I love food. I have no idea why I'm like this either....I would love to change it if I knew how or what to do.

My husband hardly ever thinks about food. He can go all day without eating hardly anything and be happy about it.
    Wish I could.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Wolfena,

Definitely not alone!!! I hate this obsessive part of me. For example, I know that I will be out of town Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun and I am already thinking...ok....really, fantasizing about the food I will eat. I want to eat healthy but allow a bit of indulgence here and there. I plan to exercise like crazy so that I can eat without gaining.

I am in maintenance, so it is nuts to be this obsessive.

I plan to pick up that book as well. I don't think that this is healthy.

D
  • Michelle644
    Michelle644 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "OOOOOO me too! I guess this is why I am here, lol! I wasn't always like this. I want to change it but, I don't know how? So, you are not alone.
  • FitnessFreaky
    Options
    I do and its rough, whenever I feel the need to snack I grab a bunch of Almonds and or have some of my Quaker oats ranch flavored rice cakes. I cant do the starvation thing any more and yeah I count calories but if we make good choices and take in more fruits and veggies and avoid the Mickey D's of the world, I think we'll all be alright.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely way too obsessed with this for my liking. I've practically reached my target weight, it's all going great, but sometimes I think I'm "faking" it, that if I let go, that it'll go all wrong again.
    I really thought that after the four months that I'm doing this, that the cravings would be gone, that I would have a more healthy attitude to food, that I "naturally" didn't want to be so obsessed with food anymore.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I used to think about food all the time. At work, during class, while taking a test, while eating food, etc. However, I have some friends who really like working out. Now, all I ever think about is working out.

I'm the same. I used to think about none of it, now I think about the gym all the time! For me it's good, keeps the goals in mind.

As far as the food thing goes, while eating breakfast I plan my meals out on my phone. After that, it's all done and there's nothing left to think about. I've already told myself what I can eat today.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    Wolfena, I'm the exact same way! I could easily eat 3,500 a day if I didn't restrain myself :(
    I've never lost weight in my life so I'm trying to start out by losing 10 pounds, but the food thoughts never end!
  • lillmssy
    lillmssy Posts: 67
    Options
    Seems like always! I think it's because I'm sitting most of the day and I have got in the habit of always having a snack in front of me.
    Not a good habit. Also I drive 40 min. to and from work so I want something when I leave work. I have got into the habit of having a
    apple on the front seat. If I want to eat the refridg, I eat the apple instead :)
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that. now my world revolves around eating healthy and being active. and learning all i can about how food affects my body!! and i used to have cravings alot too, but eating clean helped get rid of that.

Just want to confirm what Kim has stated. Eating primarily real foods and very little processed foods has almost eliminated all cravings. I'm to a point now where all of my food choices are conscious choices,not driven by cravings. I allow myself healthy chocolate and special treats now and then, but I always have fresh fruit or some other healthier choice available. I feel good about what I do, and never feel deprived. I believe it is absolutely essential that you use science to understand causes of cravings, and are never operating in deprivation mode whether it is food, time or other personal things......Food is not just nourishment, it is also social. That is not necessarily bad....Knowledge is the key that can set you in control where you enjoy food, and the myriads of social situations built around food without ever obsessing about anything. It can truly be frustrating, but it doesn't have to be.

Take care everyone,
    Shari
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For me, it's either neglect it and get fat, or mind it and stay healthy. Really hope i can learn the middle ground..
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For me, it's either neglect it and get fat, or mind it and stay healthy. Really hope i can learn the middle ground..