Preworkout

Options
I'm thinking of purchasing preworkout. What are you opinions about it??

Replies

• adriantrufo
    adriantrufo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It´s not really necessary. You can do without.
    If you need something to give you a little boost, take some strong coffee 15-20 mins prior to working out!

I usually take 2-3 teaspoons of instant coffee with a litle more than half the water and I´m good to go.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am not going to say its good or bad, everyone has their own opinion on that but I have taken several different kinds and still do I currently take EVL- grape flavored and love it. If you have never had pre work out before start with one scoop and you really should never go above 2, thats what most containers say. Good Luck! I also recommend C4
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
  • syedumairtelecom
    syedumairtelecom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well if you think its better for your body go for it :-)
  • Fya2014
    Fya2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wondered about this but decided after trying a brisk walk first actually got my body amped so no need yet for me to spend on it. It can be expensive in the long run and if a coffee/expresso boost would help..im sure that would be goo too. Pluss many of the ones i read up on have a wicked crash and the jitters. So be careful with any choice
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I like it. Sometimes I really just think I am playing a mental game with myself but whatever works, right. Lol. I like Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy on light days and their platinum pre on more intense days. I have samples of C4 and I like that too.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There is definitely more to preworkout mixes than just caffeine, I love it. One common ingredient beta alanine will give a nice tingly feeling at higher doses. Or at least I think it feels nice.
    That being said I wouldn't bother spending money on it unless caffeine alone isn't giving you any kick.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    SciranBG wrote: »
    There is definitely more to preworkout mixes than just caffeine, I love it. One common ingredient beta alanine will give a nice tingly feeling at higher doses. Or at least I think it feels nice.
    That being said I wouldn't bother spending money on it unless caffeine alone isn't giving you any kick.

I love the tingle!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    A coffee or energy shot, and blasting some metal music is about all I need. :tongue:

Preworkouts kinda scare me. I'm very prone to anxiety attacks and I'm sure whatever is in the PWO wouldn't help that matter at all...
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I take a 200mg caffeine pill, along with a banana and an apple. Many preworkouts either have ingredients with unproven claims, or have ingredients that have been proven to work, but have them in doses smaller than the proven effective dose. It takes a lot of research to find a good one, which is why I stick with just a caffeine pill. Then there are the ones that eventually get banned by the FDA (not always justly) due to some ingredient, or you run into news about supplement companies making false claims on their labels.

I've read enough articles about lawsuits against companies whose supplements (not necessarily preworkouts) that are bogus, and tests by independent companies that have found supplements lying about the amount of protein. With so many shady practices coming to light, I opt to simply spend $3 USD on a bottle of caffeine pills, rather than risk being hoodwinked by shiny packaging and companies using "proprietary blends" on the label in order to keep from telling you what's in their product, and in what quantities.
  • cheflaurawalke
    cheflaurawalke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:30 am to hit the gym for an hour and a half. The thought of a hot cup of coffee on my stomach while running 3 miles and weight training makes me want to throw up. I love c4 pre-workout
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I also echo C4. I workout in the late afternoons after work around 5:00PM and by then I find myself in an energy lull. So as soon as I get home I take the C4 and it re-energizes me. How much of it is placebo effect I don't know. But the Beta Alanine itch alone makes me want to hurry up and get a sweat on to get over it lol.
  • kouklakii
    kouklakii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all your advice and opinions on pwo! I was thinking of getting it from fitmiss or stronggirl, only because they don't seem as intense as other brands but still gets the job done. I'll look into c4 though :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time understanding the big need for preworkout. I'm in my 50's up 415 AM work out at 5. Commute and work from 6:30 to 5PM. Then workout again. Go to bed at 10 PM.

No naps involved, no pre-workout and no caffeine. I'm thinking if someone really needs this they should be examining their nutrition and other health factors first.
  • cheflaurawalke
    cheflaurawalke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have a hard time understanding the big need for preworkout. I'm in my 50's up 415 AM work out at 5. Commute and work from 6:30 to 5PM. Then workout again. Go to bed at 10 PM.

No naps involved, no pre-workout and no caffeine. I'm thinking if someone really needs this they should be examining their nutrition and other health factors first.

I don't think anybody needs to take it. I don't take it everyday. But it is nice to get that extra boost of energy when getting up at 3:30 am. I have three kids of my own, run a pre school out of my house during the day and then run a couple of miles in the afternoon. Some days it is just nice to have extra energy.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Some people say that one shouldn't take whey protein supplements, creatine, omega 3s, and/or multi-vitamins, because "you focus on getting all of that stuff from your diet." If you're the type that doesn't need/believe in taking that stuff, great. That doesn't negate the benefits that others reap from them.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RossAH wrote: »

Some people say that one shouldn't take whey protein supplements, creatine, omega 3s, and/or multi-vitamins, because "you focus on getting all of that stuff from your diet." If you're the type that doesn't need/believe in taking that stuff, great. That doesn't negate the benefits that others reap from them.

Just stating my opinion and it still stands, need to be checking other health factors first if someone feels they "need" them.

The OP says she is thinking about purchasing pre-workout. No indication on what type, duration, etc of workout she is trying to prep for. If she thinks she need a pre-workout for a 20 minute leisurely elliptical session, may want to rethink.