I need serious help with a complete everything overhaul...

Options
This is really embarrassing for me to admit, but it's something that I need to address to lose weight. Around 80% of my diet it chocolate, 20% being noodles/pasta.

These aren't things I pick to eat because I'm lazy. These are really the only foods I know that I like. And for some reason, I'm petrified to try other foods.

Here's a rundown of what I've eaten today (and it's almost identical every day); 2 Mugshots in the morning and 2 Wagon Wheels. 4 Asda Chocolate Mousses. Batchelors Pasta n Sauce for dinner. 2 more Mugshots at night. And finally, a box of chocolate fingers (171g).

That puts me at 2,702 calories today. And I'm likely missing something, or not even done yet today. And I'm more than positive it tops 3,000 most days. A couple times nearing 4000 I presume.

I'm a 22 year old, and depressed. And the depression is only getting worse and worse day by day. I need to make some permanent changes to my life because I know where things are headed. My diet, weight and appearance needs to be just some of those changes.

I'm 5 foot 10 (177.8 cm) and weigh 250 pounds (113.398 kg). I'm completely inactive. When I say this, I mean I don't go outside unless I absolutely have to (around twice a month).

I've tried to lose weight before. A lot. I'd say likely near 40 times. I lost 40 pounds 2 years ago, but had some stuff going on in my life that reverted me to old ways. I've tried going on a diet recently. It lasted a week.

I think I fail at losing weight so much because of my diet. When I diet, I'm hungry constantly due to what I eat. And you can imagine that it's rather hard to lose weight on a diet that consists of pasta and chocolate.

So clearly, I need help. At this point I don't even know what kind of help I'm looking for or need. I just know that I need help. Any suggestions, comments or ideas would be sincerely appreciated.
I haven't even posted this yet and I regret it already.

Replies

• Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like the perfect first step for you would be counseling of some sort. Deal with the depression and why you're afraid of trying new foods and leaving the house. After all is said and done, weight loss is a 100% mental process.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Log everything you eat, everyday as accurately as possible.
    Step 2: Go on a food adventure. Try a bite of anything and everything. Treat it like just that - an adventure. You are the hero and the foods are the items you collect. The reward is the orgy in your mouth that happens with excellent foods.

Seriously, you're missing out on a TON of fantastic foods if you limit yourself to chocolate and pasta. Not that there's anything wrong with those items, but you need to moderate them way more and consider not only your calorie intake but your macro nutrient intake as well (carbs, fat, protein, etc). You need to get more protein than what chocolate and pasta offer or you're going to make yourself ill.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Julesbait wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the perfect first step for you would be counseling of some sort. Deal with the depression and why you're afraid of trying new foods and leaving the house. After all is said and done, weight loss is a 100% mental process.

This... You need help of a kind that is not to be found here. Good luck

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get some protein in your days: cook a steak or pork chop or chicken breast.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i agree with food choices like this there is more going on than just poor diet. to be actually afraid of food means u probably need some counselling. not leaving the house means theres probably some antisocial behavior happening as well. u will need more than just calorie counting to get through it but u can get through it. have u always eaten this way? did something bring it on? this are important questions
  • goddessheatherr
    goddessheatherr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    IDK if its because Im about to start my period but this post made me cry. Made me look at my food intakes in the past. A whole case of 12 cookies if no one gets to them first, a box of oreos in two days etc.. Honestly Im shocked by that way of eating your not dead yet, or myself. (I hope that doesn't hurt you, Im not trying to put you down or me mean) Im here for support. Because I am someone who is used to that kind of body abuse by junk food, I would suggest that you start small changes. Like purchase chocolate whey protein shakes and mix that with milk. The chocolate will give you that craving you like and they are both loaded with protein which will help you not be hungry. I honestly am bored as hell and use to not ever let myself get hungry and I would just eat, eat, eat. Its VERY hard daily to fight that urge to want to EAT. Do you not like to cook? I would suggest if that's the case just making a few portions of lean ground beef, Ragu light tomato basil no sugar and some ronzini healthy harvest pasta. I hate whole wheat so I make what taste good but still healthy. That meal has a lot of protein and its pasta and meat sauce what you like to eat but not as bad. Just small changes WILL help you lose weight even without walking in the beginning. Maybe some chicken cutlets with the sauce and pasta, my daughter loves that. Chicken parmesan. :smiley: Instead of 1 pudding replace it with sugar free lemon lime jello, that seriously doesn't taste sugar free and you can have more than one. They are really good. Just start small or you wont want to continue! I understand, I do so if you need help, message me! :)
  • goddessheatherr
    Options
    Oh I have started small in the beginning doing silly things like keep my cell phone away from me so I have to get up and get it. Putting the remote up so I have to get up and change the channel. Hand washing dishes ( HATE IT ), NOT sleeping in has helped me.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Julesbait wrote: »

Yes!! I completely agree. Weight loss is definitely a mental process...Counseling would be a better place to start to get your head wrapped around what is driving your depression, fear of foods, and not wanting to leave your home. You will likely set yourself up for failure with trying to change your eating habits until you do that. The process of change around those things will (should) include healthy eating and becoming active. A lot of times depression is driven by the food choices we make, as well as consistent dehydration (esp when sodium intake is very high). But you need to better understand the source of yours to better manage it. The food changes will come after that. Start by increasing your water intake. It's an easy change. Then find a counselor. Then work on your foods and activity.
  • goddessheatherr
    Options
    Yes water intake, used to hate it.. now I must love it.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hey there friend, I also struggle with depression and an overall mood disorder among other things....

I too, reach for some chocolate when I need something positive - try doing more exercise... It really helps you feel good and when you feel good, you look good and when you look good YOU'RE GOOD!

Mind over matter playa!
    Much love
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    quote="Julesbait;32035144"]Sounds to me like the perfect first step for you would be counseling of some sort. Deal with the depression and why you're afraid of trying new foods and leaving the house. After all is said and done, weight loss is a 100% mental process. [/quote]

+1
    Please seek professional help for these issues.