Alcohol

Options
oh my i know that alcohol has empty calories, I used to love drinking beer, but have found that I tend to end up with the beer belly, and wine also has alot of calories, to wind down the odd ocasion anyone any suggestions on light tipples, pleasde do not say soda water it is so vile.

thanks

Replies

• misspaddles
    misspaddles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fresh water with a wedge of lemon?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    G&T or vodka and diet Coke/lemonade
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i don't really drink, but we talked about this at work recently during our biggest loser competition and i think the general consensus was that single shot liquors were your best options, like a whiskey and water.... if you drink diet drinks, maybe a rum and diet coke? i think the key is to limit your intake...
  • Boolost1
    Boolost1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    hey thanks all, yes i think a long glass of g and t sounds summery and relaxing
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I always stick to vodka and diet coke or diet irn bru :) the lighter the spirit the less calories it contains.
  • Boolost1
    Boolost1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thanks hun..... i absolutley love blossom hill white zinfandel :(
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Either gin/vodka and tonic or champagne.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I take flavored sparkling water and mix them with gin or rum.

For beer, I don't go cheap. The higher alcohol content the better, calories be damned.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    91oKfaJ9jkL._SX425SX425_SY394_CR,0,0,425,394_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX425_SY394_CR,0,0,425,394_SH20_.jpg
    mixed with this
    img-the-bar-collection-_0148_ciroc-pineapple.png
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Just drink what you like in moderation??
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    whoa whoa whoa don't knock the club soda now! LOL I always mix 1 1/2 shots skinny girl vodka with 2-3 parts club soda and 1 part lime juice and it tastes amazing about 60 calories a drink maybe more
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I drink regularly. I prefer bourbon but it's absolutely packed with calories. My typical evening of drinking, just relaxing at the house, comes to 12 ounces. I literally pour the booze into a measuring cup, then into my glass so I know it's accurately measured. (I hit a 'plateau' and thought, "What gives?" I wasn't logging my alcohol correctly.)
    The bourbon whiskey I drink is 69 calories an ounce, so a usual night for me is 828 calories from the alcohol.

But I noticed that a six pack of light beer makes me feel about the same as 12 ounces of bourbon, or fairly close. And the beer, namely, Natty Light, is 570 calories for a six pack. I could drink 8 beers and still consume fewer calories than the bourbon.

Of course all of this is anecdotal and alcohol content is alcohol content, but just based on how I feel after drinking six beers, it's pretty close to how I feel after 12 oz of bourbon.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm done after 3-4oz of gin. I'm a lightweight now. On the other hand, it is cheaper that way, so...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Whiskey. Neat. Every damn day.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love a strawberry and lime cider. Now I have half a glass of cider 1/2 glass of berry flavoured sparkling water
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Straight liquors neat or with whatever no cal mixer you like. I like to sip tequila, and have a glass of water every now and again.

For those of you suggesting G&Ts - be aware that unless you're drinking no cal tonics (which taste nasty, IMHO) tonic water is actually more calorific than you might expect.
  • Steveheikkila
    Steveheikkila Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I recently read a study about this topic. What alcoholic beverage gives you the best buzz per calorie? Not best buzz for the price. Not the lowest calorie beverage (it doesn't have much alcohol). We're talking biggest alcohol bang per calorie.

I would have thought that straight 80 proof booze would be the winner. But it's not. It's sparkling wine/champaigne. You want a low calorie buzz, the bubbly is the way to go. Next best is straight liquor (maybe cut with water or on the rocks if you prefer).

Here is the article if you're interested:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/03/28/the-wonkblog-guide-to-efficient-drinking/
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    All the hard liquors (not liqueurs/cordials) are low-carb and the best bang for your calorie buck, unless they have added sugar (usually the flavored kinds do). Rum, vodka, gin, tequila, whiskey, etc. are essentially carb-free.

Choose a sugar-free mixer. Any diet soda works. And diet cranberry juice is good too. Ocean Spray has a new diet cranberry juice with a hint of lime; this is my favorite with vodka now. 5 calories per 8-ounce serving of juice.

As far as beers, the best alcohol-to-calorie ratio is in Natural Ice. If you can tolerate the taste it's your best bet. A lot of people don't like it, but it doesn't bother me. Plus you can't beat the price.

I drink VERY regularly, and booze used to be my diet killer, but I've managed to strike a balance.

Also, here - you're welcome: getdrunknotfat.com/
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    vodka and diet Sprite or 7up. You could also add half a pack of the no sugar packets of crush, or Hawaiian punch..it adds a fruity taste. I was told sugar was carmelized to dark liquor it's color....
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    All the hard liquors (not liqueurs/cordials) are low-carb and the best bang for your calorie buck, unless they have added sugar (usually the flavored kinds do). Rum, vodka, gin, tequila, whiskey, etc. are essentially carb-free.

Choose a sugar-free mixer. Any diet soda works. And diet cranberry juice is good too. Ocean Spray has a new diet cranberry juice with a hint of lime; this is my favorite with vodka now. 5 calories per 8-ounce serving of juice.

As far as beers, the best alcohol-to-calorie ratio is in Natural Ice. If you can tolerate the taste it's your best bet. A lot of people don't like it, but it doesn't bother me. Plus you can't beat the price.

I drink VERY regularly, and booze used to be my diet killer, but I've managed to strike a balance.

Also, here - you're welcome: getdrunknotfat.com/

2990900tikkaz8h3m.gif