I never feel satisfied after a meal.

I am 5'1 and currently at 136 lbs. I used to be 125 lbs but I tend to binge after losing weight. I'm trying to avoid being on strict diets because I end up eating a lot worse after a few days. I'm trying to be really flexible with my diet by eating home cooked meals and some snacks but the food I eat is not all that healthy. I usually eat white rice with some type of fried or baked meat. I just had my dinner which was white rice and pork which did not make me full so I ended up eating greek yogurt with granola and I still don't feel satisfied. I ended up eating a bowl of cherrios and some ritz crackers. And again I'm still not full. This is preventing me from losing weight and I'm scared I'm going to gain some more. I eat about 2,000 calories a day. It's really hard for me to eat in moderation especially for dinner. I work out 6 days a week. I lift for 30 minutes and I do cardio for 45min to an hour. I am not getting any progress at all. I really want to go back to 125 lbs but my eating habits are not good. How can I become more satisfied and full after eating a meal without having to add so many other snacks that I crave for?

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    You don't mention eating any vegetables with your meal. That's the best way to really fill out your plate and your stomach.
  • bloated_fatty
    bloated_fatty Posts: 17 Member
    I don't really have any answers. I guess I'll say, when you start to cut back a lot from what you're eating it takes like a month to truly get over the hunger pangs. At least it did for me. But once you get used to it, then you stop getting so hungry all the time. Also if you haven't heard, always make breakfast your biggest meal. That really helps reduce later meals.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    I don't really have any answers. I guess I'll say, when you start to cut back a lot from what you're eating it takes like a month to truly get over the hunger pangs. At least it did for me. But once you get used to it, then you stop getting so hungry all the time. Also if you haven't heard, always make breakfast your biggest meal. That really helps reduce later meals.
    Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Space your calories to enable you to eat when you're most hungry. That will enable you to stay within your deficit.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Truth is...when you are trying to lose weight...
    Calories in and Calories out...
    You need to eat at a deficit...
    which means less calories than maintaining weight...
    which leads to cravings...
    I have it...others have it...you have it....
    everyone does...
    You have to be in control and overcome those weaknesses.
    Results are in your hands.
  • jainafaith
    jainafaith Posts: 45 Member
    I noticed that I only like tasty food when I eat. I get so sick and tired of eating fruits and vegetables that I end up craving for other snacks.
  • bloated_fatty
    bloated_fatty Posts: 17 Member
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Space your calories to enable you to eat when you're most hungry. That will enable you to stay within your deficit.

I started doing it after I heard about this study. It rings true for me. I can't say it will work for everyone.

http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2013/08/07/study-why-breakfast-not-dinner-should-be-your-biggest-meal

But the study did say that eating a big dinner helps retain more muscle. I dunno, I think eating a big breakfast works for me anyway.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    jainafaith wrote: »
    I noticed that I only like tasty food when I eat. I get so sick and tired of eating fruits and vegetables that I end up craving for other snacks.

Fruits and vegetables aren't tasty? Then you're doing them wrong. Find ones you like.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Truth is...when you are trying to lose weight...
    Calories in and Calories out...
    You need to eat at a deficit...
    which means less calories than maintaining weight...
    which leads to cravings...
    I have it...others have it...you have it....
    everyone does...
    You have to be in control and overcome those weaknesses.
    Results are in your hands.

Wow...this. This is the truth of the matter. Get used to feeling a bit hungry. Sit in the feeling of wanting more and do NOT act on it. You won't die if you feel a bit hungry.
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    I love having salad with tomatoes carrots and celery(with low calorie dressings and not tons of add ons ie no croutons and cheese type stuff) and a bowl of lower calorie soup with dinner helps fill me up. Also, what you described sounded really carb heavy and lacked fruit and veg. Produce is a great way to stay healthy and full! Also, protein really helps me to stay fuller longer as do complex carbs such as brown rice and avoid simpler carbs which your body can metabolize much faster.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    How do you eat your veg? Are you trying to salad or steam these things? Eating them plain just plain sucks - I always cook them into something.
  • jainafaith
    How do you eat your veg? Are you trying to salad or steam these things? Eating them plain just plain sucks - I always cook them into something.

I just eat either romaine or spinach in my salad and add chicken and dressing to it. I get really sick of eating it. It's just too plain for me.

• savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Food for thought: have you considered redefining satisfaction?

Instead of asking yourself 'Am I full?' how about you ask yourself 'Am I still hungry?'

Work on actively questioning this, which is hard when being 'full' is drilled into us from childhood as being the limit.
    Make your food enjoyable and delicious.

Good luck.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    edited April 2015
    There's your problem!!! This is my very secret "just threw it all in" recipe from earlier this week, which you could chop and change however you liked. It made a huge pot and I had 12 servings which were a generous ladle-full for 84 calories - leaving room for some rice to go with! You have to make it yummy!
    mvg5sv4uayey.png

EDIT: If you can't tell I weighed and threw it all in BEFORE I put it into the mfp recipe calculator!
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    edited April 2015
    How much water do you drink? I find that if I drink water before, during and after a meal I feel more satisfied. I have also added a lot of veggies to my meals. Big salads, finger veggies (carrots, sliced cucumbers, sliced peppers, raw broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)

That being said, I have to admit, I binge sometimes too. Last night I ate two full sleeves of Ritz crackers with a bag of Ramen Noodles. I try not to do this often, though. I used to eat like that every day.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    I should add I just threw in my weighed gravy granules, I didn't add it with water xD
  • jainafaith
    I should add I just threw in my weighed gravy granules, I didn't add it with water xD

Thanks!
  • jainafaith
    How much water do you drink? I find that if I drink water before, during and after a meal I feel more satisfied. I have also added a lot of veggies to my meals. Big salads, finger veggies (carrots, sliced cucumbers, sliced peppers, raw broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)

That being said, I have to admit, I binge sometimes too. Last night I ate two full sleeves of Ritz crackers with a bag of Ramen Noodles. I try not to do this often, though. I used to eat like that every day.

I usually drink about 1-2 glasses of water after every meal. I've been binging for about 4 days straight, it's ridiculous.
  • jainafaith
    I just had a total of 4-5 bowls of cherrios.... :(
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    You might be one of those people who does better when they incorporate a cheat day, or does their calorie limit based on a week rather than a day. But, you really do need to up those fruits and veggies and cut some of those starchy carbs down, unless you plan on adding in some serious weight training, and up your protein and healthy fats to help you feel full longer. You need to retrain your palate, and that does take time. It took about 3 months before cola started tasting way too sweet me, and McDs fries became way too gross and salty.

But you know all of this. You already said so. I hate to break it to you, but it's not going to happen until you commit, and you aren't committing. You're making excuses, and that's your red flag. You know changing your life style means resisting cravings. I know I should do X, but I do Y. Or "Just this one time." Just like when you quit any other bad habit or break any addiction-it's going to take some time, and you're telling us you're not really ready to yet.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    jainafaith wrote: »
    I just had a total of 4-5 bowls of cherrios.... :(

Oh no... you like cereal too, huh? My mum made the mistake of buying me the new Frozen cereal as a joke while she was over Easter weekend. It was not there on Easter Monday is all I can say! I try to save my Bear Nibbles cereal (a lot like cheerios I think in flavour) for pudding with fruit and yoghurt sometimes :(