Hungry when I drink a lot of water

Options
So am I crazy or does anyone else feel hungry when they drink a lot of water? I've been trying to drink more water throughout the day during class and stuff but it honestly makes me hungry after so much so it's kinda conflicting with my diet. It also only happens with just plain water not with like zero calorie vitamin water, drink packets, etc. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're flushing out your sodium? That's what I would suspect if water made me hungry...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How much water you talking here?
  • kweede14
    kweede14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Like if I drink a whole bottle of water within like 30mins
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    kdubz14 wrote: »
    Like if I drink a whole bottle of water within like 30mins

Then maybe you need some of the food stuffs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm forever reading to drink lots of water to fill you up or suppress your appetite yada yada yada
    The only thing water does for me is make me run to the loo every 20-30 minutes
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    So am I crazy or does anyone else feel hungry when they drink a lot of water? I've been trying to drink more water throughout the day during class and stuff but it honestly makes me hungry after so much so it's kinda conflicting with my diet. It also only happens with just plain water not with like zero calorie vitamin water, drink packets, etc. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Then don't drink plain water. Water doesn't make me hungry, but it doesn't do a thing for me to suppress feelings of hunger. I just imagine the water sloshing around in my empty stomach.
  • AngelRamya
    Options
    I was told that we shouldn't drink water at a stretch..try drinking water slowly and in intervals ..making sure you drink minimum 8 glasses of water a day :) Please don't exceed 9 glasses of water in a day..hope this helps..!
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    AngelRamya wrote: »
    I was told that we shouldn't drink water at a stretch..try drinking water slowly and in intervals ..making sure you drink minimum 8 glasses of water a day :) Please don't exceed 9 glasses of water in a day..hope this helps..!

So drink exactly 8-9 glasses in a day?!
    It will vary depending where you are, how hot/humid it is, and how much you exercise OP, but I'd recommend drinking water when you're thirsty, and before/after a workout, and otherwise drink for pleasure (but log it if it's got calories!!) There's no point forcing yourself to drink an arbitrary amount of water
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options

I don't like 'glasses' it's too vague. So when you say don't have 9 I start thinking "So I can drink 8 pint glasses of water, but not 9 300ml glasses of water" I drink 2 Litres a day, I have no idea what that is in glasses but I pee water at the end of the day which seems good enough for me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I drank 4 litres of water between 6am and 11am on a walk last month. Why did I drink so much? Because it was 43 degrees Celsius, I was walking and my body needed it.

If I did that today, sat in the office at my desk, I'm not even sure I could take in that much.

your liquid needs change depending on circumstances. The 8 glasses of water thing is bull. Stay hydrated. Your pee should be pale straw coloured - NOT clear.
  • Lois_1989
    edited April 2015
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I drank 4 litres of water between 6am and 11am on a walk last month. Why did I drink so much? Because it was 43 degrees Celsius, I was walking and my body needed it.

If I did that today, sat in the office at my desk, I'm not even sure I could take in that much.

your liquid needs change depending on circumstances. The 8 glasses of water thing is bull. Stay hydrated. Your pee should be pale straw coloured - NOT clear.

@girlinahat - Why not clear? Genuine question by the way, not sarcastic...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

drinking too much can stress the kidneys and/or leach necessary salts from the body. Pale to almost clear is enough.

the following is quite a good description:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/50-shades-of-yellow-what-color-should-your-pee-be.html
  • Lois_1989
    Options

drinking too much can stress the kidneys and/or leach necessary salts from the body. Pale to almost clear is enough.

the following is quite a good description:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/50-shades-of-yellow-what-color-should-your-pee-be.html

I googled it... came out with scarier stuff than that, but you can't believe everything right? :confounded:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

Absolutely - I've posted before about the fact that drinking too much water can lead to dehydration

These are healthy colors:
    kkh9iimttvpe.jpg
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am so glad i'm not the only one with this! Water doesn't help me at all with appetite as people claim it should. I often drink 2 or so bottles of water a day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are hungry... How many calories are you consuming per day?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I don't like 'glasses' it's too vague. So when you say don't have 9 I start thinking "So I can drink 8 pint glasses of water, but not 9 300ml glasses of water" I drink 2 Litres a day, I have no idea what that is in glasses but I pee water at the end of the day which seems good enough for me.

This is exactly how i think! I fill up my 1L water bottle two or three times throughout the day, no idea how many glasses that is?? I've got dozens of different size glasses in my cupboards...
    If i had to guess i'd say a glass equals 250ml, it depends who you ask :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    So am I crazy or does anyone else feel hungry when they drink a lot of water?

Not crazy. My experience is the same.

I don't make any effort to force myself to drink plain water, I don't buy into the "8 glasses" propaganda. Most of the time I much prefer to drink coffee or tea.

• bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are probably swallow too much air drinking quickly. Burp, and you won't feel hungry anymore.