Mother of a Toddler and a New born..

Options
Really haven't been dedicated like I should have, trying to find time to exercise is the main problem because I seem to be so tired.. I need to do more cardio than anything to get this weight off and tone my legs, arms, waist etc.. Just need support and energy lol

Replies

• khuntebrinker
    khuntebrinker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I have a 20 month old and a six week old. Every morning I have the best intentions to get a work out in during nap time or when they go to bed but I'm always too tired
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not even remotely in your situation but I'll give what advice I can, based on my experience:
    - buy a bottle of caffeine pills (I think they come in 200mg serving sizes). For me, there is no excuse to not "pop a pill" to get me going in the morning. I have to leave for the gym @ 3 a.m (no other realistic time to get it done), and "I don't have time to brew a cup of coffee" used to be my excuse. I would take a preworkout supplement that had caffeine, but then started telling myself "who knows what other harmful stimulants are in there that will hurt me in the long run? Besides, can I really afford to spend money on that stuff." Just looking for any excuse at all to not do it. Caffeine pills are (in my area) about $3 for 200 servings. No more "I can't get caffeine" as an excuse.
    - You can get in shape performing body weight exercises at home. This gets rid of the "I don't have time to go to the gym/I don't have any equipment at home" excuse. Personal opinion/experience, but I'm not a fan of strictly cardio for weight lose. Yes, you will lose weight, but weight training (even body weight) is more effective, and builds muscle while burning fat. Cardio and/or caloric deficit alone does not build muscle, so if you're successful in losing fat, you may still not be happy with your "droopy" appearance.

Try setting aside 20 mins (even 10, if you're willing to go like a maniac) and perform:
    - good form, intense pace pushups (look up "tricep pushups" to see how to work the back of your arms as well)
    - Body weight squats
    - Body weight single leg squats
    - Burpees
    - tricep dips
    - Mountain climbers
    - Planks (abs)
    - Crunches (abs)

Those, done with intensity and consistency, would be a solid start.
  • Dgroover3
    Options
    :) thank you so much I really appreciate the advice..
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 and 4 year old so I know how tough working out is. Maybe go for a walk with the kids in a stroller or when they nap you do like 20 minute workout. They have awesome works on youtube. Look up HIIT
  • chilenitax
    chilenitax Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and a 4 months old. I did one round of 21 day fix (3-week program) and worked really good for me. you don't need to be working out for an hour or more. Just 30min a day and a balance meal throughout the day will do the job. :) Anything will work as long as you put your 100% . you can do it :)
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I had a toddler and a newborn a few months ago... Now I have two toddlers (crazy how that changes toooo fast) and going out for a jog in the stroller is a chore having to make sure their diapers stay good, they have enough snacks to not fight over them, back up snacks for when they fight anyway and their snacks get tossed to the ground, drinks and back up drinks... Some days it works out and some days I just deal with the tantrums, but most days I'm just like no, I'll stay home and be a fatty. I also try to do work out videos. but now they are big and mobile enough to get in the way and get tripped over, and I either end up getting hurt or hurting them. I have found though that they love to do cardio dance videos (youtube) with me. I can't do it properly (going back to them getting in the way) but it still gets my heart pumping.

Honestly when my kids are asleep (including at night/in the morning and nap times) that is when I choose to be completely LAZY and do nothing but watch TV or even take a nap myself because while they are awake I am constantly following them around cleaning up and practicing discipline and setting boundaries that are constantly broken regardless lol!

The newborn should be generally easy to set aside (that sounds bad haha) like in a swing or pack n play, or even a nap. And the toddler who may not nap as much any more and just has to be in your business, have them sit in a corner or at a table in the same room you are working out and give them some quiet time activities... My son has a "busy" bag (pinterest) that I use for when I work out as well as doctor appointments, grocery shopping, long car rides, etc... switch it up, don't let them do the same thing every time!

BUT, you say your main problem is just that you have no energy now that I think about it after I typed all that.

If you are trying to lose weight, just do small exercises for now until you find your groove, like baby raises haha, or do a few jumping jacks before your shower. But also focus on what you eat! A healthy diet is the key to getting in shape aaand getting energy!
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on the new baby! :) If you can't get to a gym, my suggestion would be to search YouTube and make a playlist of workouts. Even if you have to stop in the middle of one to tend to a kiddo, pause it and you can always come back/start over. Anything you do is better than not doing anything at all.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something here?? When I was a Nanny, I was more active, tanned and toned than ever in my life!! I was out all the time with the kids, walking going to parks and zoos and doing things...walks in the neighborhood...I cant understand this!??
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?? When I was a Nanny, I was more active, tanned and toned than ever in my life!! I was out all the time with the kids, walking going to parks and zoos and doing things...walks in the neighborhood...I cant understand this!??

in my opinion as a mother of 3, it isn't as physically demanding to be a mom as it is mentally and emotionally which still makes me pretty tired a lot of the time
  • cindytw
    edited April 2015
    Options

in my opinion as a mother of 3, it isn't as physically demanding to be a mom as it is mentally and emotionally which still makes me pretty tired a lot of the time

Yeah I get mental drain I just never had it with the kids. Because I work with adults with disabilities and to me, a bunch of kids is a vacation! But even as a nanny, I was great!! My only reason I quit was grandparents from India treating me like an indentured servant in a foreign language!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

When you were a nanny you hadn't just been pregnant, and I'm going to assume that you weren't the one waking up several times a night to feed them either, as well as dealing with all the laundry, cooking and other housework. From what I've read on here, Americans seem to get very short maternity leave too, so back to work after say 6 weeks, hence the need for a nanny.

I have three kids, age 5, 3 and 11 months. There's 22 months between my first two and that was hard, but I was back at the gym anyway. I always thought I'd be tired at home too, so I may as well go to the gym. I've been back at the gym after my 6 week check with all three, and I go 5 or 6 days most weeks. It's my 'me' time.

My husband does shift work so I can fit my gym round his shifts, but if I couldn't I'd use the crèche. Does your gym have a crèche?

In England we're lucky to have a year for maternity leave so I have always done loads of walking and we go out all the time, and walking is great exercise.

As for energy....I drink lots of coffee lol.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Also as a nanny you didn't push a baby out of your body and need to recover from that, as well as the giant hormone changes, or have to get up for multiple feedings at night.

I've been a nanny and now a mom and they really are very different.
  • cindytw
    edited April 2015
    Options

When you were a nanny you hadn't just been pregnant, and I'm going to assume that you weren't the one waking up several times a night to feed them either, as well as dealing with all the laundry, cooking and other housework. From what I've read on here, Americans seem to get very short maternity leave too, so back to work after say 6 weeks, hence the need for a nanny.

I have three kids, age 5, 3 and 11 months. There's 22 months between my first two and that was hard, but I was back at the gym anyway. I always thought I'd be tired at home too, so I may as well go to the gym. I've been back at the gym after my 6 week check with all three, and I go 5 or 6 days most weeks. It's my 'me' time.

My husband does shift work so I can fit my gym round his shifts, but if I couldn't I'd use the crèche. Does your gym have a crèche?

In England we're lucky to have a year for maternity leave so I have always done loads of walking and we go out all the time, and walking is great exercise.

The only thing the Mother actually did was pump her breast milk and feed them with that later, not from the breast ever. (It could have been the father or the live in grandparents that took care of them IDK). I was on 8am to 8pm most days and it was a disaster anytime family was in the house. That is why I quit. I loved the kids, but the grandparents thought it was funny to have them out of control and refused to discipline any of them. Undid my discipline as well. Parents never home. When they were, wanted completely different than the grandparents who I fought all day every day. Parents were out before kids were up, home after they were in bed. Nobody I know gets that luxury having kids. I wish I could have stuck it out, but it was too much for me to be treated like I was an idiot 6 days a week and a perfect job opened up at my old place I knew well and would not be treated like a servant.

I do totally get hormonal stuff too, but it is temporary, right?
  • cindytw
    edited April 2015
    Options

Also as a nanny you didn't push a baby out of your body and need to recover from that, as well as the giant hormone changes, or have to get up for multiple feedings at night.

I am sure they are...but for an extended period of time? The body recovers. It is the stressed out person that has everything, but still claims they can't do anything that confuses me. Like a stay at home Mom, that has not time to work out, but yet a WORKING mom is at the gym because she finds a way. Excuses are just that. Yes hormones play a part but also your goals and priorities do too.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

The only thing the Mother actually did was pump her breast milk and feed them with that later, not from the breast ever. (It could have been the father or the live in grandparents that took care of them IDK). I was on 8am to 8pm most days and it was a disaster anytime family was in the house. That is why I quit. I loved the kids, but the grandparents thought it was funny to have them out of control and refused to discipline any of them. Undid my discipline as well. Parents never home. When they were, wanted completely different than the grandparents who I fought all day every day. Parents were out before kids were up, home after they were in bed. Nobody I know gets that luxury having kids. I wish I could have stuck it out, but it was too much for me to be treated like I was an idiot 6 days a week and a perfect job opened up at my old place I knew well and would not be treated like a servant.

I do totally get hormonal stuff too, but it is temporary, right?

I agree about the emotional stuff once you have kids. They are your responsibility and when they're upset, you're upset. You think about them all day when you're not with them. I've been so lucky to have just had a year off with my third, meaning I can take my eldest to school, and collect him, but I'm back at work next week. I'm going to be worried that my son has to do breakfast club before a day at school. He has to go into his classroom without a kiss goodbye from me. He's not quite 6. My daughters will be 4 and 1 next month and they're going to a childminder, so I'll be worrying about them too.

I'm a teacher (3 days a week) and I'm responsible for classes of 30 kids, but it's never the same as being a mum. Looking after my 3 is much harder work, much more tiring.

I've worked as an au pair before too (in France) and it was easy, and I loved it, but once the parents were home the kids weren't my responsibility.

I think it does get easier when your kids get older. Babies are very demanding. My 5 and 3 year old play nicely, they're happy to sit and build Lego and make up little games, but my baby wants attention. When they're a newborn it's even harder as they just want feeding all the time, and they wake up loads. Even my 11 month old wakes up still. I haven't had a full night's sleep in over a year as I didn't sleep that well at the end of pregnancy.
  • laoliviabeachbumm
    laoliviabeachbumm Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I am sure they are...but for an extended period of time? The body recovers. It is the stressed out person that has everything, but still claims they can't do anything that confuses me. Like a stay at home Mom, that has not time to work out, but yet a WORKING mom is at the gym because she finds a way. Excuses are just that. Yes hormones play a part but also your goals and priorities do too.

It takes the body around a year to fully recover from a pregnancy, could be longer emotionally depending on the pregnancy. Believe me, each one ages and changes you in ways you would not understand until you do it yourself. (forgive me if that sounds patronising, It wasn't meant to)
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

It takes the body around a year to fully recover from a pregnancy, could be longer emotionally depending on the pregnancy. Believe me, each one ages and changes you in ways you would not understand until you do it yourself. (forgive me if that sounds patronising, It wasn't meant to)

It's true. I don't think you can understand it until you've done it. And that emotional tie with your kids never goes away! I'm 37 and my mum still worries about me :)
  • cheethnico
    cheethnico Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Walk it off that's what I do as baby gets bigger so does the weight your pushing around