Curbing appetite

Options
How can I not be so hungry all the time!?
I'll have lunch, and around 2.5 hours later, be like I hadn't eaten anything. Do I just control myself, or do any of you have some tips to keep me full for longer other than oatmeal??

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I try and have a decent amount of protein with most meals...it seems to help me stay full longer. Drinking a lot of water also gives you a feeling of fullness...and some steps in with all of those bathroom trips! :smiley:
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I try and have a decent amount of protein with most meals...it seems to help me stay full longer. Drinking a lot of water also gives you a feeling of fullness...and some steps in with all of those bathroom trips! :smiley:

Oh the bathroom trips, been there done that :p
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Exercise works for me. I space it out through the day. 60 min walk in the am, then 15 min on stationary bike, 30 step aerobics (watching "Chopped"), additional walks through the day @30min each, and I just started adding weight training (i'm a green beginner, but I feel it for sure), walking in between sets and then a huge glass of water between the workouts and then I decide if I'm really hungry. Plus I bank calories for something yummers. It's a win win for me and I am still learning and shedding weight. Good Luck Op, lots of good tips on MFP :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It may sound strange but I've started walking ALOT over the past 2 weeks, I literally went from zero to a hundred, exercise wise, and I was ready for my appetite to go up. But the exact opposite has happened. I'm hardly ever truly hungry and that big block of chocolate I bought a few weeks ago is still sitting in my fridge unopened!! Which was unheard of before...

I'm not exactly sure why this is happening! ?
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water throughout the day, especially just before meals. If I get feeling hungry I will have a cup of tea, that will often give me the full feeling. I also try to have protein at each meal which helps keep me feeling fuller longer
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I tried all sorts of tricks in the beginning, but eventually my appetite went down all by itself. I think it was really a matter of reframing how I viewed "enough" food. Smaller portions began to look (and feel) normal to me.
  • ericaelainefields
    ericaelainefields Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I promise I'm not crazy....I tried a hypnosis program and whether or not you believe in it it's very nice to sit down and listen to 30 mins plus of body positive, motivating affirmations.

Or you know, hydrate, protein, eat lots of high fiber water filled veg....either way :)
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Getting hungry every 2.5 hours isn't that unusual. Everyone has to figure out what works for you. I eat all day. Like today I had some shredded wheat with light greek yogurt, an hour or two later I had some plain popcorn. A couple hours later I ate lunch, small portion of chicken, rice & beans. An hour later my fiber one bar, another hour or two I had baby carrots. ..then a chicken wrap for dinner. I will probably have watermelon before bed.

I feel like I cart a ton of food to work but eating frequent but small meals keeps me feeling satiated. Regulates my blood sugar.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    sounds like me hahah.. ill have breakfast/lunch etc and be hungry not long after.. I put it down to fast metabolism or just from all the exercise :smile:
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It may sound strange but I've started walking ALOT over the past 2 weeks, I literally went from zero to a hundred, exercise wise, and I was ready for my appetite to go up. But the exact opposite has happened. I'm hardly ever truly hungry and that big block of chocolate I bought a few weeks ago is still sitting in my fridge unopened!! Which was unheard of before...

Sounds like your body is wired like mine - lots of exercise for me isn't always accompanied by hunger. Usually my appetite goes WAY down and stays there. It comes in handy sometimes.

~Lyssa
  • brentonandkelly
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    Getting hungry every 2.5 hours isn't that unusual. Everyone has to figure out what works for you. I eat all day. Like today I had some shredded wheat with light greek yogurt, an hour or two later I had some plain popcorn. A couple hours later I ate lunch, small portion of chicken, rice & beans. An hour later my fiber one bar, another hour or two I had baby carrots. ..then a chicken wrap for dinner. I will probably have watermelon before bed.

I feel like I cart a ton of food to work but eating frequent but small meals keeps me feeling satiated. Regulates my blood sugar.

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Exercise always suppresses my appetite the best - hands down.

Eat more protein and fats, less carbs and sugar.

Drink lots of water.

Also - just getting comfortable with a little hunger. Sit with the feeling. Understand it, journal about it. Don't just REACT to it. Feel it, ponder it. Get to know it and OWN it, or it will own you.
  • fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    -chew gum
    -drink water
    -drink hot tea (green, black, oolong, etc)
    -drink black coffee
    -ignore it

"Hunger is like a Jehovoah's Witness. If you ignore it long enough, it will eventually go away." -My Wife
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    -chew gum
    -drink water
    -drink hot tea (green, black, oolong, etc)
    -drink black coffee
    -ignore it

"Hunger is like a Jehovoah's Witness. If you ignore it long enough, it will eventually go away." -My Wife

Ha ha! Yea, but they always come back at those special times of the year.
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

Sounds like your body is wired like mine - lots of exercise for me isn't always accompanied by hunger. Usually my appetite goes WAY down and stays there. It comes in handy sometimes.

~Lyssa

I am finding the same! Good to know I'm not backwards :)
  • syedumairtelecom
    syedumairtelecom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Drink water fill your tummy rather than some junk food it will help.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    lalabrucey wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

I am finding the same! Good to know I'm not backwards :)

Just have to make sure you're still fueling your body - on long run days, I'll have a breakfast of a couple hundred calories and proceed to go burn 600+ since I'm running 7 or more miles these days.

That then leaves me in the negative, calorie wise, so I'll often go for some calorie-dense stuff that day (like pizza...mmm). Sometimes my net calories is kinda low but the overall intake is good. Plus that gives me wiggle room for errors in logging and such.

~Lyssa
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Carby breakfasts, even oats, make me ravenous by 10am. Getting at least 30g of protein at breakfast, and a a good few grams of fibre keeps me going until just before 12. For me, the fix is berries, protein powder, psyllium husk powder blended to make a protein smoothie.

Sometimes I need a mid-morning protein snack too, and that's ok. Hunger can be different from day to day.

Take the time to figure out when and what to eat. Make all the mistakes you need to as you learn how to fuel your body best. Because you'll get where you want to be, eventually, if you have patience and are prepared to learn what you really need.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    For me, trying to endure hunger will not work. This will lead me to eat things I did not plan on and will likely be highly caloric. I eat 5-6 meals a day with a significant protein with each meal, 1600 cal a day. If I'm still hungry, I will each a pre-planned emergency snack of 100-200 calories. Yes, this may put me over my goal for the day but its just one day--I can make it up later or just not worry about it. Its all about making a permanent change that you can maintain.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    The best I've ever been able to control my appetite was by very slowly reducing calories. Started a cut at 2300. Plateaued, went to 2050. Then 1900. Then cycled calories every 3 days. Eventually went to 1750 daily. The cycling was the real eye opener. Before cutting I was eating all over the place and felt "hungry" eating 2500-3000 calories.

By the end I was content (maybe not full, but not starving) on 1750. And that was with morning cardio in addition to lifting 6 days a week. Of course this wasn't sustainable but when i increased back to 2050 I felt full and satisfied. It's the quick reductions that cause the hunger, IMO. When you slowly cut you barely even notice.