What keeps you motivated

Options
When you feel like giving up what keeps you going? What do you look for as support to keep you determined to drop those pounds?

Replies

• sarahburke0729
    sarahburke0729 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When you feel like giving up what keeps you going? What do you look for as support to keep you determined to drop those pounds?

• sarahburke0729
    sarahburke0729 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think to myself, "Am I truly happy the way I am now. If not how can I change." But be realistic. I need to lose fifty pounds. I have a slow metabolism and thyroid issues. This isn't going to happen over night.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    I just want to be able to wear a certain, relatively expensive cycling jacket I bought 3 or 4 years ago.

I had been thinking I should buy another one in a larger size to fit the larger me ... but then I thought that I already have this really nice jacket, I haven't worn it much, it's still in great shape -- almost like new. And if I were a few kg lighter, I could wear it. It will cost me less to lose a few kg than to buy a new jacket.

So ... I can now zip it up. I can't make any sudden movements or breathe too deeply, but it will zip shut again. I'm on my way! :grin:
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated by all the nice clothes I want to wear this summer lol. Plus I just want to look good and be active. These aren't very good reason but that's all I have right now
  • iamsharica
    iamsharica Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think to myself, "Am I truly happy the way I am now. If not how can I change." But be realistic. I need to lose fifty pounds. I have a slow metabolism and thyroid issues. This isn't going to happen over night.

You will reach your goal, keep at it :)
  • iamsharica
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I just want to be able to wear a certain, relatively expensive cycling jacket I bought 3 or 4 years ago.

I had been thinking I should buy another one in a larger size to fit the larger me ... but then I thought that I already have this really nice jacket, I haven't worn it much, it's still in great shape -- almost like new. And if I were a few kg lighter, I could wear it. It will cost me less to lose a few kg than to buy a new jacket.

So ... I can now zip it up. I can't make any sudden movements or breathe too deeply, but it will zip shut again. I'm on my way! :grin:

I so love your post!!! Congrats! Its so motivating for me to get back into to clothes I can't fit right now. Awesome!
  • iamsharica
    Options
    nishatay wrote: »
    I'm motivated by all the nice clothes I want to wear this summer lol. Plus I just want to look good and be active. These aren't very good reason but that's all I have right now

Girl, thats one of the things that keeps me motivated is nice clothes and looking good in them! Yeeess! Lol
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I've come to far to give up....it's been 7 years since I've lost 50 lbs and I'm determined not to go back!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    To be totally honest, I tell myself a good game about "this is for health and long term strength ". BUT a tiny part of me just wants to be the kind of woman that other woman look at and think "b%$!@" ;)>:)
  • plutomovedon
    plutomovedon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Let's just all cut the crap and be honest:

Sex.

That's it.
  • robw235
    robw235 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me, the motivation is being healthy for what I hope will be a long retirement. I'm less than a year away and I want to do so much after years of hard work. To not be able to enjoy my reward because I'm unhealthy would just suck! Even something as simple as wanting to be able to get down on the floor and play with my grandchildren, or chase them in the park, those are motivating for me. Most of all, I want to be here for my spouse. So, a few months ago when the Dr. told me it was time to go on a statin, I begged for a few months to get healthy. Later this month I'll find out if all this hard work has worked at lowering my numbers.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I understand my reasons for losing weight and acccept what it entails. Health is not to be sniffed at. I wish id realised earlier how straightforward to lose weight is. Once I commit and start something Im not in the mood to not reach my objective. I keep reminding myslef whats pushing me as well as the evidence that its working. I get on with it.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    That I have done it once before (I'm back due to some re-gain)
    1. Health and concurring my food issues.
    2. A closet FULL of clothes that no longer fit and I refuse to buy more clothes in bigger sizes. Although #2 might be a bit higher on my list than #1 to be honest ... :blush:
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    All great reasons to keep at it - I know so well the feeling that I don't want to buy bigger clothes when I have some nice stuff just 'resting' in the closet.....I have chosen a pair of trousers and they will be my guide for a while. Just getting them past my thighs will be an achievement!
    Secondly, I want to go back on holiday, sit down in my favourite bar and not worry about how obvious my jelly rolls are to fellow customers.......there is something nicely liberating to sit in the sun by the sea, a drink in hand, and not be conscious of one's flubber!
  • LosingitinLondon
    LosingitinLondon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Seeing improvements - running longer; lifting more etc. And old photos. I found some the other day and was really shocked. I just don't want to look like that again and that motivates me when I'm tempted to eat a biscuit (or 20...)
  • KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options
    I have a Christmas jumper and skinny jeans I want to wear this Christmas hanging up on a wall, so I see it every day and keeps my mind on track :smiley:
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 7 years old and loves the water park. I didn't go with her at all last year because I was too embarrassed about how I would look with my shirt off. This is time with her that I'll never get back. If I'm lucky, she will grow into a young, independent woman that prefers to spend time with her friends than her father. I'm not going to let this summer @ the water park pass me by, because I was too embarrassed about how I looked without a shirt.

Also, to look good naked in general. To no longer see guys on tv, clutch my stomach and think "man! I WISH I had abs like that."
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been living with chronic pain and restricted mobility for several years. A degenerative condition in the bones of my pelvis and hips. I'm hoping that taking off the extra weight will help with the pain and allow me to regain some ability to move freely. If not, it's either a pretty extreme and expensive surgery or a wheelchair for the rest of my life. That's what gives me the motivation.
  • Rocketqueeen
    Rocketqueeen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The fast approaching summer months are what keep me motivated. This year I would like to (for once) wear a bathing suit. It doesn't even need to be a two piece. I just don't want to feel gross and self conscious the whole time. My problem area is my butt and thighs. It always has been.
  • five1113
    five1113 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Let's just all cut the crap and be honest:

Sex.

That's it.

Lmao touche :D