Options
Running or speed walking

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

I'm going to assume as you're asking this you find running a daunting prospect and want to be told speed walking is good. So good news, it is. Add an incline to it (treadmill or a hill) and it'll be even better. But for weight loss, calorie deficit.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit. Best to achieve that through dietary control.

Pick exercise that will develop an attribute you value and you like enough that you'll keep doing it regularly and progress.

Both running and speed walking are great for cardiovascular health and increased muscular endurance, if those goals are important to you then pick the activity you enjoy the most and get cracking!
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What you eat...(that wasn't a choice)...I'm serious though...I went through different stages of trying this excercise or that one, and always stalled, and sometimes gained...wasnt until I realized that calories is what really mattered...if you are able to burn more cals with one of those activities than the other, and can sustain the activity all while maintaining a deficit, then that would be the one I would go with.
    Best of luck.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    running get's it done quicker....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    running get's it done quicker....

Only if you enjoy it and are willing to stick with it....
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    I can't run to save my life but I can power walk to my hearts content (it's actually the only type of exercise I do). Today I burnt 409 calories in a 42 minute walk (brisk pace); yesterday I burnt a total of 1268 over 2 walks (39 and 81 minutes, brisk pace). As to what is better, I can't really say because I don't run and have nothing to compare it to but the best thing is to do what works for you.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like how three of us in a row gave the same exact 'expert responding to a newbie' type answer straight away, we're so cool.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Power walking or speed walking is less stressful on the joints. Running will burn more calories in a given period of time that speed walking will but both are good forms of exercise. Do which ever one you are comfortable with and will stick to.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on calorie deficit for weight loss, but sometimes it's nice to have a challenge. I was never a runner and then I got into C25K and now I can run for 30 minutes and my endurance is much better, and I'm faster than some of the other people at the park. So it depends, I enjoy it just because I feel a sense of accomplishment afterwards.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like how three of us in a row gave the same exact 'expert responding to a newbie' type answer straight away, we're so cool.

Yep you are so cool.

Whilst a calorific deficit is fundamental for weight loss, then all things being equal the OP was asking which would assist her weight loss more running or speed walking.

The amount of calories depends on intensity and duration to make the calculation youd have to determine how long and how fast you were doing either activity and compare.
    OP heres an article on that subject.
    Should I Walk or Run?
    If you enjoy running, you can burn calories in less time and be done with your daily workout sooner. Many people enjoy the higher heart rate and the burst of happy brain chemicals it produces. But for others, running is a grind that they have to force themselves to do. In order to get any benefit from a workout, it has to be one that you enjoy and will do day after day. If you love to run -- run. If you hate to run but love to walk -- walk. You will just need to spend more time walking to go the distance you need to burn the calories you want to burn

http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1/a/calorieswalkrun.htm

A much more detailed comparative analysis can be found here

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more.

The difficult part is motivation and patience.
  • MsShawn71
    MsShawn71 Posts: 8
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you all so much I love this app. I'm going to cut down on calories and do the power walking. :)<3