AIP Paleo

Options
looking for others following this diet. I just started this week as an attempt
To help heal my fibro or atleast greatly help it. Hoping I can get some idea for
Meals. So far I've eaten a lot of broccoli, roasted sweet potatoes and then mostly beef. But I don't want to get bored. Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• nyraphe88
    nyraphe88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Best ever broiled fish:
    1 whole fish gutted
    1 lemon
    2 tbsp kosher salt
    2 tbsp fat of choice
    Herbs/spices of your choice (I like to do an Italian mix with lots of garlic!)

Directions:
    1. Move oven rack to the top and set oven to broil.
    2. Place a large baking sheet under the broiler with fat smeared in the area the fish will go.
    3. Make 3 vertical incisions on each side of the fish, about 1 inch apart.
    4. Mix herbs and salt, then rub on the outside and inside of the fish.
    5. Make 1/4 inch slices out of the lemon and insert into the fish, leaving a few garnish wedges.
    6. Baking sheet should be really hot now. Place the fish right in the butter, it should sizzle.
    7. Return baking sheet under the broiler for 4-8 minutes. 4 if it's a small fish, 8 for really thick ones.
    8. Flip fish and return for 2-4 minutes.
    9. Let stand for 2 minutes.
    10. Garnish and dig in.

Killer Braised Lamb:
    2 Lamb shanks
    2tbsp fat of choice
    1 onion
    2 carrots or sweet potatoes
    2 cloves garlic
    5tbsp vinegar of choice
    1tbsp kosher salt
    Herbs & spices of choice

Directions:
    1. Heat 1 tbsp fat in a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat and preheat oven to 350f.
    2. Season shanks with salt.
    3. Once pan is at full heat and the fat is bubbly, add shanks.
    4. Sear each side for 2-3 minutes or until well browned.
    5. Chop onions and carrots/taters into rings.
    5. Remove shanks and let stand. Add last tbsp of fat to skillet.
    6. Add veggies to the pan when hot.
    7. Pan fry for 8-12 minutes.
    8. Chop garlic and add to pan. Cook until fragrant.
    9. Turn off burner and make a little hole for both shanks in the veggies.
    10. Add shanks back to pan. Add seasonings and vinegar of choice.
    11. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 35-45 minutes depending on thickness.
    12. Remove from oven and stuff pie hole.

I have many many more and they're all fantastic.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have fibro too. I am a consistent honest mfp logger with an open diary if you want to take a peek for some ideas. I wouldn't say I am paleo but am definitely gluten free & have been for 4 months. It has helped me lessen stomach aches & reduce inflammation throughout my body. I'm interested in learning more about the paleo lifestyle...
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The Paleo Mom posts a lot of AIP friendly recipes on her website, you should check her out.
  • desbri3
    desbri3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas :)

And
    @hstull82 I've been gluten free for about 4 years now, at the time it definitely helped the inflammation but I didn't have fibro or atleast wasn't diagnosed with it at the time my pain was unexplained. It helped a lot but the past year my pain got to the point I had to give up my full time job and so the paleo was my last step and I must say I'm so glad I took the step yesterday was only day 3 and it was rainy here and my pain was a lot less than its been in months when it should have been extra bad because of the rain. I'm still in pain it's just dropping a lot. I think it's the sugar and the nightshade veggies that is helping the most.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Veslus wrote: »
    The Paleo Mom posts a lot of AIP friendly recipes on her website, you should check her out.

I was going to recommend this. I think she (Sarah Ballantyne) has a cookbook too.
  • danyell48
    danyell48 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out Slim palates blog, the wild diet by Abel James
  • danyell48
    danyell48 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also the Bulletproof diet is really good. Little more strict than paleo
  • kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Pin test also has a ton of paleo recipes and guides. Cauliflower is huge in paleo. You can do a lot of stuff with it
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Turmeric capsules help..besides that..salads, fruit, meat..there is variety of different recipes..I usually go on Pintrest if I need ideas...tonight I had chicken hearts, AIP cheese, on spinach with a half an orange.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I always have a green shake with my vitamins and minerals and my cod liver oil..were not sure what autoimmune diseases (yes more than one) I have but coupled with major inflammation and PCOS (possibly), I eat the AIP way 90% all the time. Sometimes I have rice.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    A nice sweet potato dish I've enjoyed: Bake, peel and mash a sweet potato or two. Juice oranges or lemons to get about 1/4-1/3 cup juice, then boil it down until it's about 1/2 the volume or less. Mix it with the sweet potato. It can be baked again, or just left as is. It adds a tartness to the sweet potato and also cuts down on the kind of earthy taste of it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    desbri3 wrote: »
    To help heal my fibro or atleast greatly help it. Hoping I can get some idea for
    Meals. So far I've eaten a lot of broccoli, roasted sweet potatoes and then mostly beef. But I don't want to get bored. Thanks for your help :)

I'm not here to start a flame war at ALL, and do hope you find some relief and good suggestions.

I will just share my personal experience. I've tried dietary approaches to dealing with fibro.

None of them helped. You think they help for a time, because fibro by its nature has good periods and bad periods. When your first bad period comes back and bites you, you wonder what you did wrong.

The real eye-opener for me was getting diagnosed with yet another chronic condition while I was still eating on one of those good-for-me-and-my-chronic-disease eating plans.

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    desbri3 wrote: »

I'm not here to start a flame war at ALL, and do hope you find some relief and good suggestions.

I will just share my personal experience. I've tried dietary approaches to dealing with fibro.

None of them helped. You think they help for a time, because fibro by its nature has good periods and bad periods. When your first bad period comes back and bites you, you wonder what you did wrong.

The real eye-opener for me was getting diagnosed with yet another chronic condition while I was still eating on one of those good-for-me-and-my-chronic-disease eating plans.

Yet there are people that claim that the AIP paleo has helped them:
    https://www.facebook.com/autoimmunepaleo/posts/471498449629279
    Yes, the AIP is very restrictive, but I think it is worth at least to try. She can come back to eating normal any time if it doesn't work for her.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The placebo effect can be a mighty strong thing.

Come back to me when those people have YEARS of a trial under their belts like I did.

Barring something like a gluten sensitivity that they uncovered doing AIP, the cyclical nature of fibro/CFS and the BELIEF that AIP is going to help coming together? Powerful stuff.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't follow AIP as my food sensitivies strangely enough aren't all in their list. :wink:

However, I have quite a few of the cookbooks and read quite a few of the blogs because they're easier for me to cook from without having to change 15 different ingredients.

Sarah Ballantyne's The Paleo Approach is one of the best books. Mickey Trescott has a cookbook that's pretty good. Diane SanFilippo's Practical Paleo has an AIP meal plan in it, and the recipes I've tried from there have been awesome. Not all her recipes are AIP, but they always have notes on how to adjust them.

Sarah Ballantyne's AIP recipes: http://www.thepaleomom.com/category/recipes/aip-friendly
    Good place to start looking for resources: http://empoweredsustenance.com/autoimmune-paleo-getting-started/
    Another good resource page: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/paleo-autoimmune-protocol/
    He Won't Know It's Paleo Recipes: http://hewontknowitspaleo.com/
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Well Fed is a great paleo cookbook. Meatballs are great (just mix in different seasonings and veg to vary). Shredded chicken thighs can be very versatile. Cabbage is an awesome vegetable that gets overlooked far too often. I love eating a huge serving of cabbage with some grilled meat.