Nursing a baby

Options
is there a way to add in the calories in order to eat enough for the baby but also lose weight?

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I would speak with your doctor about this, not strangers on the Internet.
  • rosy1439
    rosy1439 Posts: 1
    Options
    Definetly consult a doctor :)
  • craft4fun
    craft4fun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    In my own experience with nursing I ate more than I ever did in my life & lost weight. Good luck.
  • Loluka88
    Loluka88 Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My doctor calculated my TDEE (1760) and then added 500 calories to that when I was nursing full time. She said at the very minimum to eat 2,000. You should absolutely talk to your doctor first though!
  • goddessheatherr
    goddessheatherr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor and maybe just call them, I know in the beginning you need an extra 500 calories. I have a nursing 19 month old and is big and healthy. I have been dieting for 3 weeks now and eating healthy foods, not skipping meals or cutting back crazy. I have fruits, vegetables, good carbs, dairy and protein. I am not adding an extra 500 calories. I eat 1100-1300 calories a day and am not hungry. Because I plan everything and eat bigger meals not junk. Im not saying to do this, this is what I do and my baby is perfectly fine. I workout too and am slowly losing like I want. I don't want to go too crazy, I actually wanna keep off the blub. lol good luck!
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you've already talked to your doctor and are more looking for a way to add this information into MFP, when you're entering food, you can search "breastfeeding" and it will come up with a negative calorie adjustment. Based on the amount you've discussed with your doctor, you can add this as a calorie adjustment.
  • kajones2009
    kajones2009 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would eat a minimum of 2000 calories, but honestly it sucks but you probably should just wait until you're done nursing to count calories, just eat healthy and when you're hungry and exercise and weight should come off.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Speak to your LC. However, I am currently nursing. Feel free to add me, I account for all of my nursing calories to ensure I'm eating enough.