How to track bike riding?

Options
My husband and I are getting bikes in a couple weeks. I plan to get out two or three days a week. I'll have two kids in tow as well, one will be in a seat on the back and one will be on a connected half bike thing behind me.

I'm not sure how all that factors into anything, if at all. I currently have a Polar watch I can use to track heart rate if that's best. I'm looking at getting the Surge from Fitbit but IDK if that would track activity like biking.

Replies

• handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Use Strava app on your smartphone or Mapmyride.. or if you get serious a dedicated bike computer will GPS and HR monitor from Garmin or Polar
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Most recreational bike riding is fairly steady state cardio, so an HRM would be ballpark accurate.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    If you use strava you enter your age and weight plus your bike weight, just include your "cargo" in the bike bike weight and the calculations will be close enough.

+1 for the HRM
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    That sounds so fun! I don't know how I would track that, but I would enjoy every minute!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    HR will be best - I've found those other sites/methods don't adjust for the extra weight, which actually isn't extra weight on the bike like you are, in the case of the Co-Pilot or trailer.

And when the trailer turns in to a parachute with good winds, it really has no idea - but your HR sure will. And your upper body strength training from gripping the bars to keep steady!

The Surge with HRM would be along same lines as Polar - depending on it's ability of being accurate HR with you.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Use Strava app on your smartphone or Mapmyride.. or if you get serious a dedicated bike computer will GPS and HR monitor from Garmin or Polar

I use strava too. it's a great free app that tells distance, shows the route, average mph, you can set a session to see how fast you did that route and when you do it again, you can see if you beat your last time. I also use a hrm which for me is VERY important. I ride year round going on 5 years..
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Use strava on your phone. It'll track your mileage accurately and estimates calories pretty well. You can see where you've been and what miles you've done etc if you're interested in any of that and it automatically syncs with mfp
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RideWithGPS.com is also an excellent app/website to track your cycling.

I personally prefer it over Strava as Strava is great for road cycling, but not so great once you hit the trails, commuting, or touring.

Not mentioned or asking, but I feel like mentioning: YAY for buying bikes! That's awesome news. A couple of things I would like to suggest:

1. Start out with no more than 30 minutes each ride. Each following week, generally add no more than 10% of the total time spent cycling than the previous week. If you miss a day or two, then this is a bit more flexible, but if you're consistent try to keep to this guideline. Your body isn't used to cycling so you dont want to over-do it.

2. Get your bicycles fitted by a professional. Any reputable bike shop can do this for you. If you are buying them from a LBS, it should be included with the purchase of the bike.

3. Wear helmets. A controversial topic, but since you have kids with you, do it and wear them properly.

4. Do NOT ride on the sidewalk. Contrary to popular belief, the sidewalk is the most dangerous place you can ride your bicycle. When on the road, cars will see you and will be able to predict your movements so they will try to avoid you. On the sidewalk, cars crossing the sidewalk and turning onto the road will not stop before the sidewalk. If it's a blind corner, they will hit you.

The safest way to cycle, especially in a city, is use a tool like Strava, RideWithGPS, and/or Google Maps to plan out a safe route (using bicycle trails and residential/side roads instead of major arteries).

5. If riding at night, get some high quality lights. Cars will not see you unless you have lights.

This is my favourite:

http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/vis-360

It's actually a good idea to have bright lights during the day too, but that is optional.

I'm also going to get lights to mount on my bike, and I have pant straps that have blinky LEDS.

6. If you ride on multi-use trails, get bells. I know of people have been fined for cycling without bells, but it's also courteous to pedestrians. Before I had a bell, I've scared the crap out of people when riding past them because they had no idea I was coming.

7. Even with lights, reflective clothing, etc., assume that you are invisible to drivers and act accordingly. Be alert, be pro-active, and be safe. :smile:

Enjoy your new bikes! TO me, it's the best form of exercise and transportation that exists!

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me!
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Endomondo is also a great way to track cycling, but it doesn't offer navigation (if you care about that).
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I personally prefer it over Strava as Strava is great for road cycling, but not so great once you hit the trails, commuting, or touring.

Not mentioned or asking, but I feel like mentioning: YAY for buying bikes! That's awesome news. A couple of things I would like to suggest:

1. Start out with no more than 30 minutes each ride. Each following week, generally add no more than 10% of the total time spent cycling than the previous week. If you miss a day or two, then this is a bit more flexible, but if you're consistent try to keep to this guideline. Your body isn't used to cycling so you dont want to over-do it.

2. Get your bicycles fitted by a professional. Any reputable bike shop can do this for you. If you are buying them from a LBS, it should be included with the purchase of the bike.

3. Wear helmets. A controversial topic, but since you have kids with you, do it and wear them properly.

4. Do NOT ride on the sidewalk. Contrary to popular belief, the sidewalk is the most dangerous place you can ride your bicycle. When on the road, cars will see you and will be able to predict your movements so they will try to avoid you. On the sidewalk, cars crossing the sidewalk and turning onto the road will not stop before the sidewalk. If it's a blind corner, they will hit you.

The safest way to cycle, especially in a city, is use a tool like Strava, RideWithGPS, and/or Google Maps to plan out a safe route (using bicycle trails and residential/side roads instead of major arteries).

5. If riding at night, get some high quality lights. Cars will not see you unless you have lights.

This is my favourite:

It's actually a good idea to have bright lights during the day too, but that is optional.

I'm also going to get lights to mount on my bike, and I have pant straps that have blinky LEDS.

6. If you ride on multi-use trails, get bells. I know of people have been fined for cycling without bells, but it's also courteous to pedestrians. Before I had a bell, I've scared the crap out of people when riding past them because they had no idea I was coming.

7. Even with lights, reflective clothing, etc., assume that you are invisible to drivers and act accordingly. Be alert, be pro-active, and be safe. :smile:

Enjoy your new bikes! TO me, it's the best form of exercise and transportation that exists!

Thanks for all the great tips :) I purchased bicycles for my daughter and myself and we are planning some rides this weekend as the weather is supposed to be 'seasonal' lol. I was going to use MapMyRide but I think I will try Strava now. Where does one purchase lights? Just at the bike store?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Marcia661 wrote: »

This is my favourite:

Thanks for all the great tips :) I purchased bicycles for my daughter and myself and we are planning some rides this weekend as the weather is supposed to be 'seasonal' lol. I was going to use MapMyRide but I think I will try Strava now. Where does one purchase lights? Just at the bike store?

The bike store is the best place to buy lights. Look for something with at least 250 lumens.

If you are a savvy shopper, here are some good lights to look for.
  • chivalryder
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh, I also forgot: a great place to plan out a ride is using a site called Route Loops. Put in the distance you want to ride, and the starting location and you're good to go!

Keep in mind, it uses Google Maps which isn't a perfect system. Double check your route before you take it because it might send you down some roads you'd be better off avoiding.
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    yay bikes :D
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I second the Strava app. You can also track your Heart rate with Strava if you have a newer smart phone with Bluetooth Smart (iPhone 4s or Galaxy S3 or higher). You would just need a compatible HR monitor such as the Polar H-7 or Adidas MiCoach. Strava will then sink accurate calorie burn over to MFP.
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options

This is my favourite:

Thanks for all that! Its been more than 10 years since I have been on a bike, so I know I am going to feel it.

We are in Hawaii so there are various places for riding. I will mainly be on the road in our neighborhood or on a designated bike trail on base.