Sweet Potato Substitution

Options
AdrienneKaren
AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
I have a recipe for salmon cakes that has a cup of pureed sweet potatoes in it. The thought of sweet potato mixed with salmon kind of makes me want to gag a little and no one in my house really cares for sweet potatoes either. So, I'm trying to think of a substitution. The sweet potato in the recipe is used along with 1/2 C of almond flour and 2 eggs to bind the mixture together. Do you think I could use all almond flour instead? I'd rather use something that isn't sweet because, in my opinion, salmon cakes shouldn't be sweet.

Replies

• Jani22
    Jani22 Posts: 17
    Options
    Use regular potato and normal low fat milk. Regular potato has exactly the same calories per 100g as sweet potato. The only health benefit in sweet over regular potato is that it is almost double in vitamin C content. Fibre, calories, carbs and protein are almost identical.
  • AdrienneKaren
    Options
    Good idea! Thank you!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see the recipe!
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I usually sub sweet potato with pumpkin, but in this case that sounds even worse! Regular white potato is a great suggestion.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am guessing the almond flour too is to soothe the anti-gluten folks. Flour or cornstarch could be substituted for that.

I substitute acorn or butternut squash for sweet potato all the time, but that's because they're about the same for color, texture, and nutrition. And you want something different. I also vote to replace with potato.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for salmon cakes that has a cup of pureed sweet potatoes in it. The thought of sweet potato mixed with salmon kind of makes me want to gag a little and no one in my house really cares for sweet potatoes either. So, I'm trying to think of a substitution. The sweet potato in the recipe is used along with 1/2 C of almond flour and 2 eggs to bind the mixture together. Do you think I could use all almond flour instead? I'd rather use something that isn't sweet because, in my opinion, salmon cakes shouldn't be sweet.

I'd love the recipe if you'd not mind sharing? lol
  • AdrienneKaren
    Options
    Here's the recipe. I ended up using regular flour because I forgot I was out of almond flour. I was really ticked off about that. Then, I forgot to put the eggs in. Grr! But, they still tasted good! I used a creole seasoning, used onions instead of scallions, added 1/2 c of chopped celery, and eliminated the parsley, hot sauce, paprika, lemon, and ghee. So, basically I didn't really use the recipe at all. I threw everything but the celery and onion in our Ninja and pureed it. I think it would have been better if the salmon was a little chunkier. Oh, and I just put a little dollop of light mayo and a teaspoon of Sambal Oelek (chili paste) on top. Dang. Now I want to go eat my leftovers.

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here's the recipe. I ended up using regular flour because I forgot I was out of almond flour. I was really ticked off about that. Then, I forgot to put the eggs in. Grr! But, they still tasted good! I used a creole seasoning, used onions instead of scallions, added 1/2 c of chopped celery, and eliminated the parsley, hot sauce, paprika, lemon, and ghee. So, basically I didn't really use the recipe at all. I threw everything but the celery and onion in our Ninja and pureed it. I think it would have been better if the salmon was a little chunkier. Oh, and I just put a little dollop of light mayo and a teaspoon of Sambal Oelek (chili paste) on top. Dang. Now I want to go eat my leftovers.

Thanks so much :) I love reading the comments on recipes as they have so many substitutes ppl use. I noticed they suggested using Tuna to mix it up a bit instead of Salmon. Also they suggest white potatoes instead of sweet, various flours to sub etc.

I love recipes where you feel you can switch them up a bit like you did. The way you altered it sounds yummy as well.
  • AdrienneKaren
    Options

Thanks so much :) I love reading the comments on recipes as they have so many substitutes ppl use. I noticed they suggested using Tuna to mix it up a bit instead of Salmon. Also they suggest white potatoes instead of sweet, various flours to sub etc.

I love recipes where you feel you can switch them up a bit like you did. The way you altered it sounds yummy as well.

You're welcome! Honestly, I don't think the flour was even necessary. I'm going to try it without next time. We'll see what happens!