Exercising at home

Options
sooo. today is a rainy day. can't go outside, can't go for a hike, can't go for a jog/run, can't go play disc golf. i don't belong to a gym (yet). zumba classes are monday & wednesdays. i don't own any fitness videos. i do own a wii fit.. but i would hardly call that a workout. so my question is "what are some good home exercises to do to get a beneficial workout for today"?

Replies

• anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If you have cable the exercise network might have something or I love Exercise on Demand..
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Look up body weight exercises, make some free-weights if you don't have them by using old gallon milk jugs filled with water or sand, instant weight, with a handle... use canned goods if you don't have the milk jugs.
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    take a day off! or... do some heavy house cleaning :wink:
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Options
    Bump.......

If you have a skipping rope thats a great way to get moving :)
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion about cable. OnDemand there's exercisetv and a sports and fitness part in the "mag rack" section that has tons of videos.
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i didn't realize they had exercise ondemand. i will have to do sme serious channel surfing this afternoon.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Video on Demand is a good option as someone else suggested, if you have access. Pushups, squats, lunges, "jump rope", wall sit, basic pilates or yoga stretches. Heck, turn on some music and dance it out for 30 minutes. Be active and burn some calories. Have fun...
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do a small 30 minute circuit-- get some jumping jacks, lunges and burpees in for cardio...do some crunches and oblique work, push ups and planks work the whole body, some different squats and wall sits for your legs and just mix it up. I sometimes will just pick out 6 workouts and do them for 1 minute each 5 times to get a small circuit in and you don't need ANY equipment AND its a whole body workout. I guarentee you sweat if you use all the workouts listed above ;)
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone there is also a Virtual App Gym that has some great home exercises you can do. YouTube also has some good videos.
  • em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi!

You could make a circuit in the house using the home made weights mentioned earlier, any long hall ways (sprints) and stairs, mixed with press ups sit ups and jogging on the spot.

Wow I have way more ideas than I thought - sorry I don't actually do them lol!

Good luck and have fun xx
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    http://www/bodyweightculture.com

This site has great ideas about how to get a great workout without a gym membership. Just ignore the blatant sales ads and sales pitches for the USA device.

You can do burpees(look them up on youtube) you can jump rope, pushups, situps, squats, planks etc.

If your brave soul decides to try burpees so a tree set. first do 10, then rest, then 9, rest, 8, rest etc. If you cannot throw in the pushup in the middle don't put it in there. do them without the pushup. Do the pushups afterwards seperately. You should be able to do the set of burpees in 5-10 mins. Afterwards you will not want to do anything else, so this is where your workout will end for the day.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    www.exercisetv.tv has lots of free workout videos

www.bodyrock.tv i've never done her workouts but i need to oneday
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the good suggestions!
  • prettypain
    prettypain Posts: 90
    Options
    when all else fails, sprint up stairs. thats what i do....
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do you have cable on Demand? ExerciseTV is awesome...or FitTV on the regular channels. If not here's a little workout for you!!!50 jumping jacks, 20 pushups, followed by 30 crunches, then 25quats....boxing jabs, both sides 25times...knees up running in place, lunges, then do 30 more crunhes....followed by 20 more pushups...and you can just be creative...switch it up from cardio to strength!!Good luck!!:bigsmile:
  • suomynona62
    suomynona62 Posts: 18
    Options
    Go run/walk in the rain! It's a blast every now and then! (Caveat: don't go if it's lightning!)
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, squats, the plank, lunges, bicycle crunches. Do this in a circuit and you're golden.
  • mattiexox
    mattiexox Posts: 42
    Options
    sooo. today is a rainy day. can't go outside, can't go for a hike, can't go for a jog/run, can't go play disc golf. i don't belong to a gym (yet). zumba classes are monday & wednesdays. i don't own any fitness videos. i do own a wii fit.. but i would hardly call that a workout. so my question is "what are some good home exercises to do to get a beneficial workout for today"?

Youtube =) Search for "Sarah Fit" or "Blogilates" or "Bodyrock" and you'll find tons of good stuff!!