how not to be grumpy?

Options
Hi folks, any tips on dieting without being super grumpy all the time? I'm sticking within my recommended calories to lose 1 pound a week, but I've almost bitten my husband's head off every day since starting. Any suggestions for food that might keep me "happier"? :grumble:

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    fatty foods help the moodiness. I'm usually at 100+ grams of fat per day and I previously have had issues with anger, depression, just overall down feeling and since I've upped my fat intake, it's improved dramatically....literally overnight!
  • KatyLynn01
    KatyLynn01 Posts: 19
    Options
    eat a little extra and exercise a little extra. food makes me happy. so do the endorphins and a good sweat from working out. when I'm grumpy I have my dessert and then ask my fiance to come on a long walk with me!
  • jscimeca
    jscimeca Posts: 66
    Options
    I was so grumpy too when I started.. I think they understand though. Think of your goals... What really heped me was seeing results immediately!! As soon as I saw I was losing weight and inches, I was ecstatic!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I find that I end up grumpy if I feel like I'm short changing myself. That is why this has to be a lifestyle change and NOT a diet. I eat everything in moderation -- this keeps me on track and keeps me happy. None of those resentful "I wish I could eat ______" feelings!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Zig zag your calories! The high cal days stave off your irritation. Up your fat intake too. When I heard that eating fat, doesnt make you fat and it actually makes you happy, I was all over it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The three Cs help me. Caffeine, Carbs and Chocolate. :laugh:

In moderation, of course. But if I tried to eliminate all three from my life forever, I'd be homicidal.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird...but start taking fish oil supplements. It gets you Omega-3's but there's also something in it that is a mood stabilizer. My little brother has anxiety, ADHD and depression. The doc put him on fish oil instead of anxiety meds and it works! Granted, it's not a miracle cure - but it definitely helps take the edge off.
  • sharonpryke
    sharonpryke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I often get grumpy when dieting too - after all we are denying ourselves food, and often our favourite foods too! To help with this I allow myself my 'can't live without treat - ice cream!' - keeping within my calorie total, of course. Another tip is to eat lots of 'filling foods' so at least you're not hungry all the time.

Finally, give yourself some non food treats - little gifts for doing well that day, perhaps a relaxing bath, or some flowers, or time out with a good book. Also, remember the first two weeks of any diet always seem to be the hardest, so it should get better :)
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    First, let me say that I am NOT a doctor, but I'm guessing that it might be hormonal?
    I know from personal experience that there are times when I just don't want to be bothered, but (sadly)
    I'm single so my mood doesn't affect anyone but me.
    Also, I just read an article in Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine (Superfood Power Pairs) and it suggests
    that eating yogurt+strawberries=more energy and salmon+red wine=better mood...worth reading.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    S-L-O-W D-O-W-N! you can also get grumpy for zillions of other reasons - even working out too much
    but the idea that you are on a deadline to reach a goal by "sacrificing" on a DIET is your #1 enemy
    think LIFEstyle and how you can make it sustainable, FUN & >forever< :smile:
  • alanpryke
    alanpryke Posts: 20
    Options
    See above post from sharonhall. I should know I live with her!!!!!!
  • KJ7777
    KJ7777 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have heard that some foods are better for enhancing your mood, so you could always look into that.

Although you are having all your calories the nutrition side, is it fairly even or are you low on something?

I dont use the phone app much as yet as not got the phone but i know it shows everything & if you are low on your daily intake of something that MIGHT be playing a part.

Only a suggestion.

:)
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try upping my calories from fat :)
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    PS Thanks to everyone for their answers and suggestions! So nice to see so many people out there in the same boat. Keep up the good work everyone!