How do you find out about Marathons, or Races in your area?

Options
Hi! I have just recently started walking 3-4 miles a day thinking about trying my first marathon just to have a goal to work to, but how do you find out about races or marathons or something like that in your area? Do you have to pay to participate in all of them? Any advice? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do you mean running a marathon or walking it? It strikes me that there are a lot of interim goals to think about; 10K, 10 Miles, HM that are potentially more achievable.

Anyway, Google is your friend in this sense, but specifically Runners World has a race directory.

In the UK Parkrun 5Ks are free to participate in, most others have a cost.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Www.runnersworld.com/race-finder
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Www.runnersworld.com/race-finder

This is an excellent resource.

Also check out Active.com for all kinds of events, running and otherwise.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    This one is good, too:

http://www.runningintheusa.com/
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If there is a specialty running store near you, or a running club, they will have all that info too.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Some of 5k's are free. In some areas there is "walk with a doc" program and they organize free 5k walks or runs. If the 5k is done together with 10k, HM, or marathon, they will probably cost $10-30. I did both :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Around here it's all at: https://www.runningroom.com/hm/
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Website for local running club. Active.com, the race finder mentioned above, Websites for Local Radio Stations - Public Service Announcements page...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    www.Active.com

*I keep trying to edit to add a URL, but MFP apparently won't let me do that right now.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm feeling antsy for some kind of race, I google half marathon/mud run/5k near (my location)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    www.runningintheusa.com
  • Michelletrk
    Michelletrk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    findmymarathon.com has some good search tools, and rates how hard the courses are
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    trifind.com has all kinds of races. hope you do a few small ones before stepping up to a marathon. and yes, they all generally involve some kind of fee.
  • blearyspecs
    blearyspecs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The guy who runs the gym at work keeps everyone up to date on the big races. In the off chance anyone reading this is from Manitoba there's also the Manitoba Runners Association (http://www.mraweb.ca/)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have just recently started walking 3-4 miles a day thinking about trying my first marathon just to have a goal to work to, but how do you find out about races or marathons or something like that in your area? Do you have to pay to participate in all of them? Any advice? Thank you in advance!

Do you mean marathons specifically or races in general? Either way, Google, or any of the sites recommended already. Also, you do typically have to pay for them, because there are resources to pay for: participant t-shirts, medals (sometimes), water stops, aid workers, etc. My advice for your first race is do a race somewhere close or familiar so you aren't too out of your element on race morning. Good luck! :)
  • namarc0
    namarc0 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can also find discounted entry fees on groupon for race registrations in your area.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I use Active.com and CARAruns.org (Chicago Area Runners Association). I would definitely check in local running stores and google around for local running groups or associations. I find various local trail runs and so on that don't make the bigger lists all the time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    (Also, once you do one you will get emails about them all the time. I remembered this because one came in while I was responding to this thread!) ;-)
  • Michelletrk
    Michelletrk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am going to start with some little ones, lol don't want to kill over on my first time! Thanks guys