Need help - really not losing

Options
Hello,

I know how to lose weight, I have done it numerous times before. At my heaviest I was 196.5 on my 5 foot frame, so I made a change. I began to eat better, meaning less junk food and I started walk/running and I dropped to 138 but I still wasn't completely satisfied with that number. I maintained that weight for about a year and then I slacked off on the running, I gave it up all together actually and next thing you know I am tipping the scales at 181. So Dec 2013 I decided to make another change and joined Ideal Protein and I dropped down to 166, but I could not maintain the cost of that food and the lack of real food. So fast forward to July 2014 I am now up to 171, go on holidays come back and decide to make yet another change. So its August 2014, I change my eating a little bit cause it really isn't that bad but I start walking again, 60 minutes a day. Then I increase the walking to running and I do 1 minute walk, 1 minute run for 60 minutes a day. Then in March of this year I increased my running to a solid 55 minutes a day, averaging burn of 600 calories. Again my eating isn't that bad, a typical day is anywhere between 1200-1700 calories. So if my eating hasn't changed but I have increased my calorie burn, lets say to 500 a day wouldn't it seem reasonable that you would lose 1 pound a week??? Well, it is April 10 and I weigh 165.4 - so a total of 6 pounds since August. This does not make sense. I understand that every calorie is not the same, and you could be under-estimating the calorie intake and over-estimating calorie burn - BUT, if food hasn't changed and you are burning a lot more calories due to exercise, then the weight should be coming off.

Thanks for reading and letting me vent.

Totally frustrated!
Claudette

Replies

• anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is going to tell you the same thing: if you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight in time. Either you're ingesting more calories than you think, or you're burning fewer than you think. Try very carefully tracking (measuring and recording everything) for a few weeks and you'll see results. It's not easy, but it's simple.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Try not eating back your exercise calories.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    anapestic wrote: »
    Everyone here is going to tell you the same thing: if you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight in time. Either you're ingesting more calories than you think, or you're burning fewer than you think. Try very carefully tracking (measuring and recording everything) for a few weeks and you'll see results. It's not easy, but it's simple.

He's right. I'm sorry, but that's all there is to it. I ended up having to measure everything. I was 'guestimating' and I was off by about 1000 calories a day.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually burns way less than what most people think. 500 calories for a run is really really high! Get a food scale and measure EVERYTHING that passes your lips! Measuring cups are a poor form of gauging what you're eating.

Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would say for sure you are well overestimating how many calories you're burning, unless you are running full-out for the entire 55 minutes?
    Options
    Exercise actually burns way less than what most people think. 500 calories for a run is really really high! Get a food scale and measure EVERYTHING that passes your lips! Measuring cups are a poor form of gauging what you're eating.

Good luck!

I'm intrigued by the statement about the measuring cups being a poor form of gauging. Why?
    This is the internet, thus this disclaimer lol: I am not disagreeing...I am seeking information and clarification. Thanks!

Brandon
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I'm intrigued by the statement about the measuring cups being a poor form of gauging. Why?
    This is the internet, thus this disclaimer lol: I am not disagreeing...I am seeking information and clarification. Thanks!

Brandon

Because there is no way to tell how full your cup is compared to the fullness of the cup for which the calorie count is given. My cup of strawberries may be dramatically different than your cup. Weight is the most accurate way to account for the portion size of solid foods because it removes this variability.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Brandon

You know how chips and cereal says "Product sold by weight not volume, contents may have settled" on the package?

Kind of the same concept.

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I can say that I pretty much eat the same thing every day and this is the same food I ate when I lost 60 pounds. I realize that exercise can be over-estimated hence the reason I always deduct about 200 calories from what the treadmill lists, and I do not eat my calories burned back. My TDEE is calculated at 1730 with the 20% for loss.
    Options
    ok, ok, so you guys are weighing things like chips? Things with more bulk?
    I can see where weighing would be a benefit. I use measuring cups because that's what I have, but it's for things like beans and rice and liquids, popcorn kernels, stuff like that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ok, ok, so you guys are weighing things like chips? Things with more bulk?
    I can see where weighing would be a benefit. I use measuring cups because that's what I have, but it's for things like beans and rice and liquids, popcorn kernels, stuff like that.

I weigh all solids. I saw an immediate improvement. I was eating a lot more than I thought I was.
    Options
    OK. I'll get a scale this weekend.
  • CindyCue
    CindyCue Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I will give you my two cents worth based on myself and my own realizations. The older I get, the harder it is to lose weight. Just a fact. In my mid-fifties I can't lose weight at the same rate I did at forty, even eating the same and exercising the same. My metabolism has slowed down due to muscle loss (and menopause) I am guessing. This may not happen to everyone but it is a factor for me. You may need to eat 10% less, exercise 10% more, and weight train to build muscle, which burns more calories, even at rest, in order to get the scale to move. I had to put away my scale at this point in my life, I gave that number way too much power over how my day was going to be on a daily basis. Now, I hang a pair of pants on my dresser, one size smaller than what I currently wear and try them on once a week. When they fit correctly, I know I have probably lost ten to twelve pounds or several inches and this is what I ultimately care about. Then I hang another smaller pair of jeans up. Should I really care how much I weigh if I can wear a size six? :smile: When I was 30 years old, I weighed about 105 pounds and wore a size 5. At age 40, with 10 years of running and weight training (and another baby), I weighed 125 but wore the same size jeans. Of course, this is just me and how my body works. Everyone is different and everyone's body works at a different rate. Regardless, good luck in your journey ~ I wish you the best!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Weigh all solids. Food scales are inexpensive ($10-25) and once you get used to it, it takes very little time/thought/effort. Its less important with low calorie items (think lettuce, spinach) but the more calorie dense an item is, the easier it is to overestimate calories. 25 here, 50 there: add up very quickly.

• Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You are probably losing muscle if your not maintaining healthy nutrients for your body on a long term basis and yo yo dieting can cause muscle loss. Also your body is a very efficient machine that will adjust and become more efficient at using the energy put into it with minimal loss. You should mix up your routine and do muscle building exercises. Running is really good for blasting calories but it also can make you lose muscle. Do low impact for longer periods to burn fat.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    cushygal wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I can say that I pretty much eat the same thing every day and this is the same food I ate when I lost 60 pounds. I realize that exercise can be over-estimated hence the reason I always deduct about 200 calories from what the treadmill lists, and I do not eat my calories burned back. My TDEE is calculated at 1730 with the 20% for loss.

If you don't eat back exercise calories then it doesn't matter if they are under or overestimated. You've been doing this long enough that your actual results trump any TDEE calculator--but if you are looking for an explanation, perhaps you have calculated TDEE assuming a certain activity level, but your definition of "3-5 hours of moderate exercise" (or whatever) is not the same as the calculator.
    In any case, the only answer, as others have already said, is that your calorie deficit is not as large as you think. The possible explanations (inaccurate logging, overestimating activity level or exercise calorie burn, you personally have a BMR on the low side of average, etc), don't really matter. The only solution to increase weight loss rate is to eat less and/or burn more.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you eat the same food, you need to weigh all solids. There's a video on YouTube that shows how very off our eyes can be at determining portion. A trainer put two almost identical meals for one day side by side, yet there was over 1000 Cals difference. You should check it out because that could be what's slowing your loss.
  • katieross1508
    katieross1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that tried everything to lose weight and she couldn't finally after more then a year of trying to went to a naturopath that told her her body was too acidic. And it was confusing her system into storing her fat and not allowing it to burn off. She took a natural supplement to balance her acid level in her body and immediately started dropping pounds. She had lost weight before but this time she just new there was something wrong.
    I would go see a naturopath and see what they can tell you !
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Hi Claudette, and welcome to the forums!
    cushygal wrote: »
    I know how to lose weight, I have done it numerous times before.

The thing is, it sounds like you may not actually know how to lose weight.

Now, wait a second, before you get insulted or assume I'm attacking you, hear me out.

You said you've lost weight multiple times before. But, like most people who lose a lot of weight, you haven't had much success keeping it off.

This is nothing to be ashamed of. It's estimated that 90-95% of people who lose a lot of weight gain it back. But there's also mounting evidence as to why that is, which can give us some nuggets of wisdom on how to lose weight in such a way to prevent gaining it back.

You've mentioned two things that you've done in the past that are generally on the list of no-nos:

1. You focused on what you ate instead of how much -- trying to eat "less junk", etcetera. That works fine while you're doing it, but as you saw, it's incredibly difficult to sustain long term. And as soon as you give up on it, it's so easy to just go back to your old habits and see ye olde scale creep back up.

Instead: Try to focus on how much you're eating, by weighing and measuring what you eat and sticking to your calorie goal. Allow yourself a decent balance of "health" and "treat" food, and work in the foods you love into your plan. This way, you'll still lose the weight, but you'll be much more likely to keep it up indefinitely because you're not depriving yourself of anything.

2. You subscribed to one of those pre-packaged food solutions. Those are terrible for sustainable weight loss, because their entire business model is built upon repeat business. In other words, those businesses basically set you up to fail, re-gain the weight once you go back to eating regular food, and sign back up again, therefore paying them more money. Yep, pretty dismal, eh? But it's a multi-billion dollar business, so you're certainly not the first (and won't be the last) to go through that.

Instead: Learn to eat regular food -- both at home, and out at restaurants, friends, family, on the road -- and stay within your calorie goal. That way, you're not just being given the fish, so to speak, but you're also learning to fish. When you learn the skills necessary to stick to your calorie goal with regular food, you'll be much more likely to keep off the weight.

Beyond those two things, I agree with the other posters who've said that it will be harder to lose weight the third, fourth, fifth time, because your metabolism does decrease with age (happens to all of us) and because if you crash-diet, you lose lean muscle mass and when you regain weight, you're re-gaining fat, so your energy burn actually goes down. It's not great for your body, all that yo-yoing, and it has its effects.

The other thing you can do for yourself is to take up lifting weights or some form of strength training. No, it won't give you lots more calories the way cardio does (though I agree, you're probably overestimating your cardio burns), but it will help you retain more lean muscle as you lose, and be healthier, stronger and more toned once you do lose the weight.

Good luck! And welcome to doing this right, and doing it forever!

I would go see a naturopath and see what they can tell you !

No, no, no, don't go see a naturopath! Naturopathy is a load of quackery, to put it mildly.

This is also why asking for health advice on random internet forums is usually a terrible idea.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you eat the same food, you need to weigh all solids. There's a video on YouTube that shows how very off our eyes can be at determining portion. A trainer put two almost identical meals for one day side by side, yet there was over 1000 Cals difference. You should check it out because that could be what's slowing your loss.

This video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU