Lifting - Where to start?

Options
I've been working out at least 4 times a week but it's been mostly cardio with a day or two of just at home body weight work. While it's gotten me results (41lbs!), I want to make sure I'm keeping everything as tight as possible during the next phase of my weight loss. I go to the gym and I watch people lift but I haven't done it since my freshman year of high school and I don't even know where to begin anymore. Plus I only see men do it at my gym and it's slightly intimidating to watch them lol. Tips for starting out? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Tip #1: Identify your goal(s) as explicitly as possible.

Tip #2: Look into beginner programs (possibly getting a session with a trainer) and find one that will help you obtain your goal(s). After #1, you'll probably need some help with #2. But #1 is definitely first.

Tip #3: Follow the program you decide on. Don't deviate from it. Follow it.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My first tip would be to not be intimidated by the men. They are usually more than happy to help a lady out if necessary. In my experience I've had nothing but welcomes (with the exception of one chap who asked me if I wanted help lifting a weight onto a bar - I told him I planned to lift 3 times that amount on my own so I could probably handle it!). I used to get intimidated by the younger guys but it turns out they are more scared of me than I am of them!

So, walk in there like you belong, because you do. As for where to start, I started with watching you tube videos. I started with dumbbells and did a routine by Jayme Bayles. I wrote down the exercises in a little book and made a note of the weights I used. I still have the book and do the same routine but with bigger weights now. Whilst browsing the internet and chatting to like-minded people I have found other workouts and included them into my weekly routines. My little book is getting fuller and the weights are going up. I also use you tube to get my head around form then ask a gym instructor to watch me the first few times (I have found a couple of guys I trust, not every gym worker will be able to help. I cant afford a personal trainer or I would go that route)

I try to never walk into the gym without a plan. I found I'd just wander aimlessly and not know when I'd finished unless I had a routine written down, which is why my little book is so useful for me. If I don't have a plan I can flick through my book a pick a routine I fancy and off I go.

good luck and enjoy!
  • ChandalNicole
    ChandalNicole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I guess I hadn't put too much thought into my ultimate goal with it really. I just know I want to do it. I'll give YouTube a look later on today! My gym confidence is still building. It's miles from where it used to be but when it comes to new things, I'm still a little reserved. I just don't want to risk looking like I have no clue what I'm doing. I always keep a plan in mind of what I'm doing to do when I'm there otherwise I wander too and waste time trying to figure it out. Very helpful tips! Thank you!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    There are a couple groups for women who lift. I use the Stronglifts 5x5 app; others have cited the New Rules of Lifting for Women (think that's the title). Good luck!
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I really, really like the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought the book for like $12 on Amazon, and it gives you a 6-month plan and detailed description of the exercises. I also think there's a NROL4W group here on MFP, but I'm not a member. They could probably answer questions for you. Just my 2 cents.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The only other thing I can offer is to start really light. You want to work on form right now and make sure you get that right or you're risking injury. For lifts with the bar, start with just the bar. It does weigh about 45 pounds on its own.

A few of the programs I've seen highly recommended here are The New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5x5. I'm doing a routine my lifting partner developed and it's done wonders for my physique so far.
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    There are a couple groups for women who lift. I use the Stronglifts 5x5 app; others have cited the New Rules of Lifting for Women (think that's the title). Good luck!

I've seen the Stronglifts thing on lifting posts before but I didn't know it was an app! Just put it on my phone to check it out. Thanks!
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    I really, really like the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought the book for like $12 on Amazon, and it gives you a 6-month plan and detailed description of the exercises. I also think there's a NROL4W group here on MFP, but I'm not a member. They could probably answer questions for you. Just my 2 cents.

I'll give that a look too! Thanks for the tip!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I use the Stronglifts app. Three months in. Love it so far!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Here's the Stronglifts group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Here's the NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

I do Stronglifts, but highly recommend reading the NROLFW book, if just to help you understand why lifting and eating protein is so important for women. I used to be a runner-only person, and couldn't understand why I was gaining body fat. This book was eye-opening.

Both groups are good to join, good info in both...
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Here's the Stronglifts group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Here's the NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

I do Stronglifts, but highly recommend reading the NROLFW book, if just to help you understand why lifting and eating protein is so important for women. I used to be a runner-only person, and couldn't understand why I was gaining body fat. This book was eye-opening.

Both groups are good to join, good info in both...

Perfect! Thank you!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start lifting and strength training but I was too intimidated to do it on my own. I didn't want to look ridiculous or hurt myself. I did my research and hired a good trainer. I know it's costly but I figure I can pay the money now to be healthy or I can pay it later in medical bills. I would highly recommend a good trainer!
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym, see a trainer/fitness expert at your gym for orientation. Print out the exercises you would like to do (squats, bench press, dead lift, etc). It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to run through the list, you will gain proper form to keep you safe, and it's typically free.

I started 2 month ago after not touching free weights since high school either (20+ years). Printed the Ice Cream Fitness plan and had the orientation. Can't get enough of it now.
  • Czuczi
    Czuczi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Training with guys is awesome ! :) I often do my lifting training while im alone with 15 guys and i know i wont wait for any barbell or look for help or a spotter very long hahaha

I would suggest to start from full body workout. Ask trainers on your gym to show you the technique of the most important but quite difficult excercises for begginers like squats, deadlifts, military press etc. Spend some time to learn proper technique, it might feel like wasting time but its worth it. During learning you will burn a lot of calories too because your body will struggle with new excercises.
    Everyone were a begginer once so don't worry, and those who love this sport never laught at those who are just in the beggining, they really like to help, specially guys :))

ps sorry for my english :p
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    1) Awesome job, keep up the good work!!

2) Never feel intimidated. Most are very willing to help and give advice. Being female you won't have any issues.

3) I would recommend starting with a trainer. If you are doing free weights form is very important and you will need someone with more recent knowledge than you learned in high school.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I really like Stronglifts. I bought a good set of weights and bench on craigslist for about $100 and made a squat rack for my basement with quickrete and 2x4s and 5-gallon buckets. You could google it. I have everything I need! I have and have read NROL4W but the exercises are a little more involved so I might do that when this gets boring. I was surprised how soon I was able to lift decent weight and although my body weight did not change much (be prepared for this) I dropped two pant sizes in a couple of months. I actually think reading NROL4W is a good start, even if you do SL 5x5 first.
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    Ok. Seems like I should find a better gym with trainers lol. I'm a single mom so saving cash where I can is important. I work at a hotel which has a fitness center. The gym is very nice, people off the street get memberships and everything, and I get access for free. But the employees aren't trained for anything really. They're just there to make sure everything is clean. So I'm kind of on my own. I'll have to look into other gyms in town and see what I can find!
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My local Y offers a free week or two for new members. You could see if one by you does the same, then schedule an orientation during your free trial.
  • streamgirl
    Options
    See what you can find for trainers, but I think you can do quite a bit online, too. Just in case that would be a barrier. I haven't looked into it, but I think there are sites where you can take a video of yourself and post it and ask someone to check your form. Anyone know where? With stronglifts it starts with low weight volume so that you don't get hurt--I check myself against the videos and make sure I'm not feeling any little twinges anywhere.
  • streamgirl
    Options
    You can also google each move, like "overhead press" and there are lots and lots of videos, some which emphasize what to do and not do.