Invited out to eat- but not really interested in eating?

Options
Hausisse1
Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
Hey! Soooo I have a bunch of friends and family coming to town, but they're getting here earlier today than I thought and they wanna go out to dinner. That usually would be fine, but I just ate a ton of Easter candy thinking I wouldn't have to eat for the rest of the day! Haha. The dinner won't be for a good few hours, but still. What would you do?

(fyi, my overall goal is simply to maintain my current weight.)

Replies

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy the dinner! :)

You can't avoid days like this for the rest of your life. You can go back to maintaining tomorrow. You will not become overweight from a heavy dinner.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Go out and enjoy dinner. One day isn't going to ruin anything. If you're not that hungry, just get something small. But, I think you'll probably be able to eat something in a few hours.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat something just because they are eating. Order tea or something small. People do not only go out for the food -- they go out to be together.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Go to dinner and enjoy yourself. Choose something on the menu that is within your cals.
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you didn't want to eat out with them because you just didn't feel like it or you didn't like the place and wanted to go hang out with them then I'm all for it.

If you don't want to eat with them solely because you ate candy today so you decided to punish yourself by not eating the rest of the day then that's disordered thinking. You knew dinner was happening I'm assuming and probably before you ate all that candy. Next time pre plan better.

I would just go out and enjoy my time with my friends. It's 1 day. Write it off. If you did that every day then that's a different story.

Nah, I didn't know! I thought they'd be getting in much later and assumed they wouldn't be interested in eating dinner. But thank you for the input! I think I'll indeed end up going.
  • nakima
    nakima Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tell them you ate earlier not expecting to go out and then order light. I like a cob salad and take half home for later. They're pretty big :)
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Eat light at any other meals that day, and don't snack. Maybe have something light and healthy before you go out. Then go out and enjoy yourself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd probably go, eat light and let it even out over the next few days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd go and eat really light. Maybe even just have iced tea. The point is to visit with them so if they say something tell them "oh I already ate but I didn't want to pass the chance to spend time with you."
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    One day definitely won't ruin anything. I agree with the suggestion to just order light. Last night I brought dinner home for my son and I because my husband had plans.Then his plans for the evening fell through and he came home and hadn't eaten dinner. We went to our favorite Japanese restaurant around the corner. He had a full meal and I ordered an appetizer of edemame. It all worked out just fine.
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I freak out unreasonably over this stuff sometimes. I'm always so careful about not going over my calories, I'm sure it'll be fine for one day. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    If you are legit not hungry, order a salad, appetizer, or small soup. If you are hungry, get yoself fed!

If you just want to beg off from the company, tell them all you have some weird contagious illness. :)
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'd go, and then get in some exercise at some point to make up for some of the extra calories. But like others have said, one day won't hurt you! Just get right back on track tomorrow.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'd go mostly to enjoy their company and eat something light like a salad or veggie plate.