bacon question

Options
2»

Replies

• Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of collards. I usually fry 2 pieces of bacon for flavoring only. I don't eat it. I've been counting the calories as if I was eating it. Should I?

I don't get it!?! Why throw away the bacon????? I mean.....why?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Not.. eat the bacon??

kK69EfM.gif
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    bacon fat in the collards already...eat, track it and enjoy... ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would test fry up a couple of slices of bacon and measure the rendered fat. I would not log it as actually eating the bacon if I wasn't eating the bacon. There's about 39 calories in a tsp of bacon grease.
  • marinemom1977
    marinemom1977 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I am sorry, this post is broken. Don't eat it? How does this work? I has confuse :(

I use it for seasoning only because it gets soggy from the water I add. I don't eat soggy bacon.
  • marinemom1977
    Options
    If you're already counting the bacon, why not just eat it?

Because it gets soggy from the water I add. Ewww!
  • marinemom1977
    Options
    To clarify. I love bacon. I don't eat this because I add water to steam the collards which makes the bacon soggy. Gross. Lol
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a solution. Send all of your uneaten bacon to me and I will eat it.

You beat me to it.

I actually saw the thread name "bacon question" and began to salivate!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    To clarify. I love bacon. I don't eat this because I add water to steam the collards which makes the bacon soggy. Gross. Lol

Fry bacon to render grease. Remove bacon leaving grease in pan. Add greens and water continue as usual. When done sprinkle greens with reserved chopped bacon. Enjoy.
    Eat the bacon. Moderation in all foods.
    Early on, I tried the turkey bacon. IMHO it should not be called bacon. Horrible stuff, and you save very little calories with the turkey, definitely not worthy.

My husband is on a turkey bacon kick right now. I'll cook it for him, but I refuse to eat it. It looks wrong. It smells wrong and it absolutely tastes wrong. Therefore, turkey bacon is wrong.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »

Fry bacon to render grease. Remove bacon leaving grease in pan. Add greens and water continue as usual. When done sprinkle greens with reserved chopped bacon. Enjoy.
    Eat the bacon. Moderation in all foods.
    Early on, I tried the turkey bacon. IMHO it should not be called bacon. Horrible stuff, and you save very little calories with the turkey, definitely not worthy.

My husband is on a turkey bacon kick right now. I'll cook it for him, but I refuse to eat it. It looks wrong. It smells wrong and it absolutely tastes wrong. Therefore, turkey bacon is wrong.

Turkey bacon has this weird astringent chemical taste to me. No thanks. No way.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Omg. Eat the bacon!! I could not live without bacon. Awesome source of protein and fat! And soooooo delicious.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Since you're logging it, eat it too. Just render your bacon first and remove it from the pan before adding your greens/water. Then you can add the crispy bacon after the greens are done cooking, on your plate, and soon to be in your belly. WITH delicious bacon.

I get what you mean about soggy bacon and not wanting to eat it.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I batch cook bacon in the oven, and store the grease. There is an entry something like USDA Bacon, Baked that I use for the actual bacon. If I just want the grease for something I can add that separately. It is only slightly more calories than butter.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat the bacon!