Cold cuts that are not highly processed

Options
I make a lot of sandwiches with cold cuts like turkey and ham but most brands have so many nitrates and are so highly processed.

What are some brands that have no nitrates and are the least processed? Also what are some alternatives to using cold cuts in sandwiches? Thanks guys!

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I recommend either buying an in store (u can do this at home of course) roasted ham or a roasted chicken. All deli meats are processed so just disguise the word nitrates with nicer sounding words
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    *Some not so
  • Csqueers
    Csqueers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check out applegate farms they sell it at all the grocery stores around where I live.
    http://www.applegate.com/
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I buy turkey or chicken breast, just cook it myself and then slice it all up in one go. It's cheaper that way too.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you can dedicate the time, it's much healthier and cheaper to buy a whole turkey, ham, or chicken and roast it yourself. Every couple months I roast a turkey and slice it, portion it in 8 oz bags and freeze it. If you get the meat when it's on sale (the last turkey I got was 59 cents/lb) you save a ton of money and there's no additives.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use Sara Lee with no nitrates, as the nitrates/nitrites are a migraine trigger for me.

Edited to spell the company name correctly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the correct answer is that it does not really matter...

hit your calorie/micro/macro targets and the rest will take care of itself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Boars Head is slightly better than some other brands. No nitrates as far as I know.
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

That is for weight loss. I'm trying to make healthier eating options a lifestyle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    If you can dedicate the time, it's much healthier and cheaper to buy a whole turkey, ham, or chicken and roast it yourself. Every couple months I roast a turkey and slice it, portion it in 8 oz bags and freeze it. If you get the meat when it's on sale (the last turkey I got was 59 cents/lb) you save a ton of money and there's no additives.

This is also what I do. I'm not much of a sandwich person, other than the occasional pbj, but my husband is so I roast meat and slice it up for him.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    i'd say roasting meats at home and slicing would be a good option. you'll also avoid the hefty prices of some of the nitrite/nitrate free meats available
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Boars Head All Natural products - http://boarshead.com/products/all-natural
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Boars head and applegate are my go to as well. Boars head is priced better.
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have the deli slice it for you. I haven't checked the label but I know it sure tastes better than the prepackaged stuff.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Maple Leaf Natural Selections, available here in Canada. I get the roast chicken and turkey.
  • Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I buy a Costco ham bake, slice and freeze, same with real Turkey. It take more thought and prep (my husband does it for me) but worth the taste without all the bad stuff. I eat sandwiches almost everyday for lunch so this is important to me. My sodium intake was REALLY high with processed meats too. I find that roast beef doesn't seem to freeze well or it tastes funny to me after thawing.
  • ndj1979
    Options

That is for weight loss. I'm trying to make healthier eating options a lifestyle.

umm not that is for overall health as well.

If you are hitting your micros then you are going to be healthy because you are getting the proper nutrients, vitamins, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

If you are hitting your micros then you are going to be healthy because you are getting the proper nutrients, vitamins, etc.

Not necessarily. Getting in the RDA of micros is not a guarantee of health.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just go to the deli can have them cut the cold cuts for you- it's what my BF does- he's a sammich person- works pretty well.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Not necessarily. Getting in the RDA of micros is not a guarantee of health.

what is then?

because I am pretty sure that none of us have a 100% guarantee of health...