others w/physical disabilities?

Options
I am 41 years old and trying to lose a couple. I have CP, using a wheelchair the majority of the time.

Replies

• hrnielsen1973
    hrnielsen1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are there reałly no others with there own wheels\ walkers / cruches?
  • redlocks70
    redlocks70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am new to the forums here and I'm a first time poster. I also have CP and am finding it difficult to loose weight. Maybe we can encourage each other. I wish you all the best in this journey. It definitely feels like an uphill battle, doesn't it?
  • hrnielsen1973
    Options
    do you use a manual chair? what is your mode of transportation? :-)I don't have much weight to lose, and I have stopped b
    logging. but my husband and I are both on this journey. he does the cooking.I am posting publicly to encourage others to join the conversation. I find that I usually work on ccore strength
  • redlocks70
    Options
    Hello there hrnielsen! No I don't use a manual chair. I was actually researching the electric wheelchairs, buy they're so pricey! I do use a cane and a walker with wheels. I feel bad about gaining weight- its definitely making it hard to walk! My boyfriend and I are also on this journey of weight loss- he's loosing weight and gaining muscle so quickly! I find I must be so diligent and mindful and of everything I eat. I'm not seeing the results like my boyfriend is. Its discouraging, still I can't quit. My quality of life depends on it at this point. Thanks so much for being brave and opening up this topic for those with disabilities. We sure could use the encouragement!
  • couponwheelie
    couponwheelie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new too. I am 47 and use a powerchair due to severe polyneuropathy and myleopathy after a critical illness. I also have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome also so am unable to use a manual chair due to dislocating joints. I am trying to lose weight that has been with me since before I became sick. My husband is supportive but is just happy I am alive and says he doesn't care about my weight. He is a gem. :) Last night I found some wheelchair exercise videos on YouTube that I am going to try. It isn't easy to lose weight when your largest muscle systems don't work.

Redlocks, our insurance paid for my chair after my doctor and PT gave medical documentation for each feature. The insurance company called me personally to tell me it was approved. Mine has full power tilt and recline, elevation, and power leg rests.
  • hrnielsen1973
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome!

It isn't about the number on the scale, especially if you can't balance on one.

My husband and I have cut back on white rice, butter, and red meat - as well as cheese. He is going to to try to calculate homemade pizza calories - jared spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, red onions, marinated chicken, peppers, sans cheese. Wish us luck on that one! :-) And yes, I do miss the butter. but we have found pesto - a little goes a long way.
  • redlocks70
    Options
    Hi couponwheelie- so glad to meet you! I will have to talk to my dr. about getting a wheelchair that's covered by ins. I'm glad you have one that's meeting all of your needs! I'll look for the sitting exercises on YouTube. I'm sure anything I do will help! This morning I spent a lot of time walking around my house during commercials of NCIS.

Hrnielsen- that homemade pizza sounds so delicious! I use butter to saute veggies. I can't find a good replacement for it! Yes, you're right about the scale- I want to throw mine out! It's my boyfriend's best buddy lately! I just have to remember there's a bigger goal than a number on the scale..
  • hrnielsen1973
    Options
    store bought whole wheat pizza dough + sause and toppings - onions (he forgot em) = 120 cal per 100g. No cheat here and it was delish! I could have gone in for a third piece, but didn't :-).
  • redlocks70
    Options
    I'll have to make the pizza this weekend. I like the fact you can customize it any way you like. I'll let ya know how it turns out! I've been living off of Easter leftovers and need a change.
    Couponwheelie, have you found any exercise videos on YouTube that you like? How are they working out for you?
  • georgeous66
    georgeous66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I do not use any walking devices but I do live with crps (lower right leg) as well as myofacial pain. I recently joined to shed a significant amount of weight by watching what I eat and trying to do as much walking as I can stand. I am at a point where I have decided to take control and do as much as a can tolerate to be healthy for me, my young kids, and my husband! I am inspired by your story! Here's hoping we can find strength to keep working hard and inspire each other! Feel free to add me if you like.:)
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Just an observation, but why don't people with disabilities have avatars?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It seems like every day's the same
    and I'm left to discover on my own
    It seems like everything is gray
    and there's no color to behold
    They say it's over and I'm fine again, yeah
    Try to stay sober feels like I'm dying here

And I am aware now of how
    everything's gonna be fine one day
    Too late, I'm in hell I am prepared now,
    seems everyone's gonna be fine
    One day too late, just as well
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    In the 80s, I volunteered for UCP and they had a very active sports program. If your local UCP doesn't, offer to help start one.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

That is just plain mean.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options

LOL, they all have fewer than 20 posts so I'm also assuming new to MFP. Give 'em a minute!!

NOW, I have had a knee replaced and am considered disabled from it but I am able to walk and am getting back to running. However, I was wheelchair/crutch/walker/cane bound for nearly 5 years and I still tried to work out. But Mostly I did upper body workouts and those chair workouts on YouTube. I hated them because they were full of old people but I did them and I think they helped... at least in terms of recovery time.

I did find that pool workouts were the best thing ever!! Even on days when walking was awful once I was in the pool I could do a lot more and strongly suggest it!!

But I found, that food was the end all or be all of my weight. Because I was depressed I just ate and ate... and now I'm here, 100 pounds overweight and struggling to get it off.

Best of Luck to all of you!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Uncalled for.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have lost 93 pounds so far on mostly diet changes. My mobility is compromised a bit since i have arthritis in both of my legs. I get exercise when i can, but my focus has been on maintaining a caloric deficit. I've learned that playing with the numbers and portion control has been what I've focused on. I don't restrict specific foods and still enjoy the occasional hamburger, pizza, Chinese, ice cream, etc.
  • georgeous66
    Options

It must be a side effect! Lol
  • georgeous66
    Options
    I do go to our local y to the Theraputic pool, and swim at home in the summer;and yes pools are wonderful for getting some exercise....just wish I could exercise like I used to....lots of cardio and such....the intensity is what I mean...also exercise without increased pain would be lovely too. ;)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

It must be a side effect! Lol

My daughter is blind, she makes the best blind jokes. People with physical disabilites usually have an excellent sense of humor, as well as being tough as nails.

Oh, and she does CrossFit!