others w/physical disabilities?

Options

Replies

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Just an observation, but why don't people with disabilities have avatars?

It must be a side effect! Lol

My daughter is blind, she makes the best blind jokes. People with physical disabilites usually have an excellent sense of humor, as well as being tough as nails.

Oh, and she does CrossFit!

My brother is epileptic and he usually just shakes all my terrible jokes off.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm severely limited after a car accident, and then some cancer, then a small stroke…I use a cane/walker when I may need it, and walk 40-60 minutes..slow- a day. For weight LOSS, exercise is not the big issue, and won't affect your success.. it's the foods you chose, not just a low calorie limit which tells you are are starving and to hold on to all fat… especially for women. the most success for obese people is eliminating all processed food..all sugars except fruit sugars. you will hear lower carb works better than lots of breads and whole grains..the heavier you are the less carbs you need as they can trigger insulin issues.

there are some AMAZING bread and pizzas made with cauliflower, riced up small, then baked, with sauce and topping added… http://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-breadsticks-recipe/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQjlqiuLj8

eliminating the flour/wheat works and allows for taste without metabolic issues.

PLEASE consider joining these sites…MOST people seriously overweight have the same mobility issues, and dietary choices will cause more loss than thinking you must run/lift or do endurance for hours.

There are groups ALREADY to join..one is 100+ pounds with no surgery and another is 50+ pounds to lose JUST SEARCH for these groups and join many who're active already.

For many 'morbidly obese' by the charts with metabolic disease based on carb intolerance and sugar will find a group The Low Carber Daily and 2 "Keto" groups discuss diets that eliminate these, to find better satiety and quicker weight loss.

good luck..so many thousands of posts come in daily this one will be lost soon..so find a group.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I also have CP. It's pretty mild, but not without its challenges. More than anything, I just want my right side to do what my left side can with ease. It's strange to have half a body that doesn't work correctly (muscle weakness). I don't use any walking aids. Working out more and losing weight has definitely improved my walking, strength, and stamina.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Are there reałly no others with there own wheels\ walkers / cruches?

can't help here but just wanted to wish you all the best. There are hundreds of thousands of people here so I'm guessing if you keep plugging at this you will get some results :-)
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a disability. And an avatar. :smiley: I've been in physical therapy for the past 15 months. It has really helped a lot. I log regularly and have 68 lbs off so far.
  • Land_Rocket
    Land_Rocket Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Awesome... just found this post.... knew I wasn't alone on this forum.
  • georgeous66
    georgeous66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I have a disability. And an avatar. :smiley: I've been in physical therapy for the past 15 months. It has really helped a lot. I log regularly and have 68 lbs off so far.

I never even considered my physio as calories...I guess I'm just used to going...; ) yeah more calories burned....
  • couponwheelie
    couponwheelie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    redlocks70 wrote: »
    I'll have to make the pizza this weekend. I like the fact you can customize it any way you like. I'll let ya know how it turns out! I've been living off of Easter leftovers and need a change.
    Couponwheelie, have you found any exercise videos on YouTube that you like? How are they working out for you?

I hope I'm doing this reply correctly. :) I haven't started the YouTube exercises yet. I hope to next week when I am off from OT and PT. I'm tapering off a high prednisone dose and between the side effects, working hard in PT (I walked 44 feet with my walker today), and the usual myelopathy and neuropathy pain, I haven't been able to psych myself up for them. My heating pads and I are best buddies today.
  • couponwheelie
    Options
    Just an observation, but why don't people with disabilities have avatars?

Now you've challenged me to find a good one. ;) I am a newbie so I'm still catching up.
  • Land_Rocket
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So, how is everyone's weight loss journey going? Since I finally managed to work out the appropriate calorie allowance (which was a real Pain In The Ash!), things are going great here.

To work out my actual calorie needs, I ended up buying a BodyMedia Link Fitness Tracker from eBay (as you can't buy the Link in the UK) which told me that on a good day I'm using a maximum of 2000 calories. Obviously this proved to me that the advice of 2500 calories for a man would make me gain weight!

From the American SCI website (http://sci.washington.edu/info/forums/reports/nutrition_2011.asp#calorie) I also found the calorie advice: General guidelines suggest that persons with paraplegia need about 28 calories per kilogram (kg) of your ideal body weight. If you have tetraplegia, you need about 23 calories per kg of ideal body weight (the weight you should be). This corresponded with what the Bodymedia told me.

Although tetraplegia is not quadriplegia, googling for quadriplegic calorie allowance gave me the same answer for tetraplegia. The extremely bad part is once you know what your body uses calorie wise, you then need to create a deficit to lose weight!!!, I emailed MFP at one point and expressed my displeasure at the fact that MFP always advises 1500 for men, 1200 for women - as I didn't feel that it accounted for restricted mobility. Luckily, you can manually set your goal allowance.

I feel that when you have mobility restrictions, it's even more important to understand what you body needs. We are all unique, so everybody will have different calorie requirements.

I was always told by my GP that Cerebral Palsy would mean I needed to eat more (would have a higher calorie allowance) due to the spasms. I don't take medication at all as I find it hard to swallow. So I try to keep medication free and away from the doctor, but it does mean that my spasms are not controlled in any way. Again, it just proved to me that it is so easy to overestimate what your body needs.

My big downfall (the reason I gained weight in the first place) was always the beer - I used to drink tons of it on a daily basis from aged 18 up until I turned 40. Since I cut it out totally, I have lots more energy, and I've been able to use my calorie allowance sensibly on foods that are much better for you.. and so far, it's working.

I am also aware that we all have bad days. Sometimes you do need to just take a break from it all, but when that happens, don't punish yourself. I always just get back on track next morning. Just keep reminding yourself that you can do it - the one thing that will make it work is your own inner strength.

I also try to not use the word "diet"... it's a "lifestyle change" as I will always watch what I eat from now on for the rest of my life.

Just remember.... it is possible, no matter what your ability... so keep at it, think positive, and the rewards will come your way.

-- John.
  • lutichadoucette
    lutichadoucette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    N00b here. But actually tetraplegia is the same as quadriplegia (both mean four). The naming system was changed but they both man the same thing.

I have quadriplegia and am restarting my exercise regimen. I'm thoroughly disappointed in the fact that MFP didn't have gimpy exercises available to select, it's all geared towards the able bodied. I learned that the fit but flex can track wheelchair users activities. So I hope to get more accurate readings once I obtain one
  • keelyjrs
    keelyjrs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm disabled too, sometimes use a wheelchair and sometimes walk with a stick. I have quite a few things wrong which mean I can't really do exercise although I do try to walk when I can. I have a soppy Labrador and love going for walks in the woods with him, and I love nature so I find it really uplifting too

I am trying to stick with 1600 calories and eat more nutrient dense foods when I can. I have just treated myself to an exercise bike which I try to use every couple of days when I'm not flaring up, only 20 mins but every little helps

I chuckle when I see the debates about logging walking as exercise. For me it's really relevant as there are many many days where I'm stuck in bed and can't walk at all, so on the days when I can walk I definitely log it!
  • couponwheelie
    Options
    N00b here. But actually tetraplegia is the same as quadriplegia (both mean four). The naming system was changed but they both man the same thing.

I have quadriplegia and am restarting my exercise regimen. I'm thoroughly disappointed in the fact that MFP didn't have gimpy exercises available to select, it's all geared towards the able bodied. I learned that the fit but flex can track wheelchair users activities. So I hope to get more accurate readings once I obtain one

Maybe we need to contribute our own exercise data to make it more inclusive. :) I have paresis due to critical illness polyneuropathy and myopathy. I've been working to relearn standing and walking, although I've been told at 2+ years out, I may have peaked. My workouts consist of 40 foot shuffles with my walker, isometric strengthening, and OT. PT and OT can wipe me out for the day but there isn't anything comparable in the database. My husband, on the other hand, was able to find chopping wood and hunting listed. Darn able-bodied guy. ;)

What is the fit but flex?
  • hrnielsen1973
    hrnielsen1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I haven't been looking at the forum for a couple of days, but I am so happy that's people are taking advantage of the conversation. I started it precisely because there was a hole in the plot, and totally agree that we should contribute do the exercise journal choices. I was able to find a grand total of one and free mentioning pushing a wheelchair.
  • redlocks70
    redlocks70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello to all of the new people who have joined this forum!
    Couponwheelie- I'm so proud of your success in physical therapy! Keep up the good work!

Hrneilsen, I made homemade pizza and it turned out great! I think the fact i made it myself made it taste even better!

I want to let all of you here know that just by joining and supporting others you are doing a wonderful thing. We each have unique needs and our struggle just to get through the day can be soul crushing at times. I was talking to my dr. and he suggested I increase my protein because I have to treat my body as if it has an injury. He feels the protein will help with keeping muscle and for help with muscle repair. Has anyone heard of this? My body has been though alot of trauma because of several surgeries and a bad car accident. Maybe the extra protein would help but what would also help is if the left side of my body wasn't so damn weak! Any nutrition advice would be appreciated!
  • Land_Rocket
    Options
    Excellent - nice to see some friendly activity on the forums.

I always used to believe tetraplegia meant three limbs were affected. Oh well, can't be right all of the time :blush:

I'm glad you've found the FitBit Flex to work for you. I did send out a few emails before I imported the BodyMedia, but I mainly got negative feedback from the companies involved, and Googling didn't help - responses were typically "we don't know" or "it may not be accurate" which defeated the point of getting one. With the BodyMedia, the reviews kept saying it was the most accurate, and I got it from eBay, so didn't pay a great deal for it, so was worth the risk. It was either that, or there was positive feedback about the Nike Fuelband being compatible with wheelchair usage, but I just didn't like how it looked. Me being picky :smiley:

What really does annoy me is that I've found no way of getting any decent exercise into my daily life. My head is the only thing that works reliably. When I got referred to physio, they couldn't do anything for me, and after 8 weeks, I was just finding that I was relying on pain medication but still couldn't do anything with them - it was just them moving limbs for me. I do try and do a little bit on the Wii, but even that is a challenge. Would just be nice to earn back a few calories here and there. The main thing is that I have learned how much my body needs, which over time teaches you about portion sizes, and you start to realise how easy it is to overeat!

I have heard that protein is used in muscle repair, and also that it's great for keeping you fuller for longer. I'm not going to quote all the differing opinions from the MFP forums here - but personally, my body liked it for a bit - then I got to a point where I started sleeping a lot through the day. Once I started putting a few good carbs back in the mix (ie not just sugar) then I felt better. Again, it's all about balance. The idea seems to be not to go silly and start eating just protein all the time. Another problem I found was that I didn't realise was that when I overdid the protein, it affected my uric acid, which brought on a massive attack of gout. However, your GP mentioned it, so I'm assuming that wouldn't affect you.

Remember, you are not alone... take it one day at a time, and reap the rewards as they come :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Wow- what a nice discussion and exactly what I needed to read! Especially enjoyed your experience, Land_Rocket. I'm not disabled, but all the extra weight is starting to seriously impair my mobility. I've been feeling all sorry for myself, thinking "how am I ever going to get the weight off now?" Now I feel ridiculous! You guys are inspiring... mind if I continue to eavesdrop? :)
  • redlocks70
    redlocks70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Wow- what a nice discussion and exactly what I needed to read! Especially enjoyed your experience, Land_Rocket. I'm not disabled, but all the extra weight is starting to seriously impair my mobility. I've been feeling all sorry for myself, thinking "how am I ever going to get the weight off now?" Now I feel ridiculous! You guys are inspiring... mind if I continue to eavesdrop? :) [/quote

Try2again- Its absolutely normal to feel sorry for yourself- I have found for me that it actually can push me into action. There's times I cry because I'm trying to hold my foot on my leg to tie my shoe and it doesn't stay. Some days it takes three times. I just sit and think to myself this simple action hurts so bad and this is all BS. Then I get pissed- I just grab my foot and DO IT. My sadness turned to anger and from there I was determined not to let a simple action defeat me. When I finally got my shoe tied I stood myself up and said "Yeah, *kitten*!" just like Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad. It was pretty funny! ANYTHING you accomplish give yourself credit for- you've earned it. We're all here for you!
  • Land_Rocket
    Options
    Sorry to everybody that I haven't responded, but I'm sure you understand.. access issues.

Having any excess weight is pretty much a disability in itself... as it causes low mood, mental chaos, poor posture, all manner of problems. The brain is a very complex and devious thing, if only it was as easy as just saying "I will..." If we could do that, MFP wouldn't exist. I'm sure I heard on the news that over 80% of the population is now classed as "overweight" (BMI above 25). I don't want to start an argument on how accurate/inaccurate BMI is for different people, but if you think about it, it all comes down to the brain. It's the CPU of your body, and it's the thing that you use to make the decision of "stuff it, I'll have a cake" and "no I can't be bothered today". Don't you just wish your brain was like a computer, so you could just wipe the information and bugs off, and reinstall with good information and none of this "bad decision" programming? :smiley:

Please don't feel ridiculous or put yourself down, that's exactly what I mean! If you beat yourself up, I personally find it can lead on to those "blow out" days. Then when you gain a bit of weight that week, you feel even worse, and away goes the slippery slide. The main thing is to keep positive, and believe in yourself! It is very hard, because life throws some serious challenges at us no matter who you are. All you can do is tell yourself "I am strong."

Losing weight initially was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and I still have my bad days. I do try and limit damage a bit, but not always. One thing I have found that helps a lot is, since I don't have any kids to worry about, is to make sure that I haven't got any real "sorry for myself" foods in the house. I haven't had crisps in my cupboard for 2 years! If you haven't got it at home, I have personally found that it does stop you picking at the wrong things. It's the same reason I can't have Ben & Jerrys in the freezer any more, because I know I could eat 2 tubs of that in a day without thinking about it.... that's the easiest way to add 3000 calories to your day! Especially when you are mobility challenged, it's not very easy to "go to the shop and grab a bar of chocolate". For the same reason, the last time I moved home, I actually put the deep fat fryer in the bin. It was hard at first, but eventually, I did find I don't miss it in the slightest! I also found that it was great to reward myself for long periods of being good. Buy yourself something from Amazon using the money you save from not buying beer/chocolate/crisps/junk. That reward gives you a visual reminder that PMA (positive mental attitude) does pay!!

I'm sure others of you out there have some great hints and tips for staying positive...
  • hrnielsen1973
    hrnielsen1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We are an inclusive group

Welcome to the new contributers I wish I could find frozen yogurt here in Denmark. I am so glad that the homemade pizza worked for someone besides us. :-) For all of us, it is a matter of putting 1 foot in front of the other. Which reminds me, that is what I need to be doing more of literally.

Fish and chicken are what we are surviving on in terms of protein and I am sure that there are lower calorie bread options out there. We have been eating Wasa wafers with a thin layer of flavored Philadelphia Cream Cheese for lunch. I'm not sure if you can get the thin crunchy bread in the States.