How do I calculate the calories in a custom deli sub/sandwich?

Options
I got a 6 inch turkey sub, on wheat. American cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, olives and pickles with mayo/mustard. Should I just guesstimate that it's about 600 calories? How could I enter that into the MFP app?

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    weight matters! I would overestimate a bit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do the bread, cheese, and mayo as individual entries. Estimate size on the high side. That'll likely get you close enough, the rest is in the noise.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    just use subway's nutritional information...probably really close to whatever you had. Enter each ingredient separately, estimate how much of each you had.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Find an entry for a 6 inch "hoagie" roll or whatever. Take a look at the meat...seem like 4 oz? 6oz? I usually log Boars head if I'm unsure of the brand. Probably a tablespoon of mayo. Possibly 2 ounces of cheese. You can log 25 ounces or less of tomato...etc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I got a 6 inch turkey sub, on wheat. American cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, olives and pickles with mayo/mustard. Should I just guesstimate that it's about 600 calories? How could I enter that into the MFP app?

Log each of those things. You'll have to guess a bit on amounts. Whatever it comes up to - that's what is is (or at least close enough).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log each item.
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ive not done an MFP entry for other sub/deli places but my subway sandwich is really easy - 6" honey oat bread, chicken strips, spinach, tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumber with thin line of honey mustard. If your doing a 12 inch sandwich its best to start your search like:
    "Subway 12" tomatoes" or "subway 12" meatball (meat only)" etc etc

Im pretty boring like that and Ive been able to do each ingredient individually and knowing I do a small amount of dressing I generally get the dressing amount standard for 6" and cut it in half.. If you have a really individualised sandwich its best to do each ingredient by itself which is easily done and once its in your lunch "memory" you can just retrieve it whenever you like. If its a commonly bought sandwich like chicken teriyaki or meatball it should automatically be i the system..
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    kiwiOT wrote: »
    Ive not done an MFP entry for other sub/deli places but my subway sandwich is really easy - 6" honey oat bread, chicken strips, spinach, tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumber with thin line of honey mustard. If your doing a 12 inch sandwich its best to start your search like:
    "Subway 12" tomatoes" or "subway 12" meatball (meat only)" etc etc

Im pretty boring like that and Ive been able to do each ingredient individually and knowing I do a small amount of dressing I generally get the dressing amount standard for 6" and cut it in half.. If you have a really individualised sandwich its best to do each ingredient by itself which is easily done and once its in your lunch "memory" you can just retrieve it whenever you like. If its a commonly bought sandwich like chicken teriyaki or meatball it should automatically be i the system..

The OP never said it was from subway.
  • maddisondavey
    maddisondavey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can use subways nutritional calculator on their website. I just did it based on what you said was on the sandwich and it came out to, 368 cal, 43/13/17 c/f/p
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your average deli is going to use a LOT more meat than Subway does. I'd say if you're going to use Subway's nutritional info, you have to at least double the info for the meat and cheese. That's at the very least.