Calories Burned?

Options
I guess my question is which is more accurate: the amount of calories the machine tells me I've burned (when I'm assuming they are just generically calculating the total) or the amount that the database here shows? They seem to be very different sometimes, and I'm not sure which one to use.

Does the exercise you log on here take into consideration your current weight?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    machines are often very wrong, MFP is usually less wrong
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Use whichever is lowest. If its wrong, consider the extra calories a bonus.
  • Colbyleesmom
    Colbyleesmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My sil and I are both on MFP and it always give us a different number of calories burned for the same thing due to our weight. So I would say MFP is more accurate.
  • dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have had this problem many times. I often average the two numbers. Or if I feel the machine could be relatively accurate (for example when it asks for your weight and constantly measures your HR) then I will go with that one :)
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    The system here does calcuate based on the information you have entered to set up your profile when it comes to what you burn during an exercise. As for the machines if they are public machines then they can be off same with this system. My suggestion is investing in a HRM or Bodybugg type of equipment. I have a bodybugg and I found that the calculations in this program were way off for my actual daily burn.

Good luck! If you do research HRM or bodybugg remember to try not to think of the cost as money out the window but an investment in your weight loss journey.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your weight, age and gender
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My recommendation...invest in a heart rate monitor (with chest strap)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM. I know how many calories I usually burn in whatever exercise im doing that day. SO, I will add some extra calories during the day, and then work out, THEN I see how many calories are left after working out and work from there. That way I am not freaking out at the end of the night trying to find something with a lot of calories later at night....
  • msunique133
    msunique133 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think that the calories MPF comes up with are a little wrong. In my opinion I think you should play it safe with the calories your machine gives you that is the right way to go. You also can judge how many calories by how you worked out the intensity, the sweat, how your body feels after. When I go to the gym I usaually do the elliptical and the bike and other machines. When I get on the elliptical I work out hard and I sweat hard. I burn 300 to 400 calories in about 25 to 30 minutes. I log it into MPF and it comes to almost 1000. I get on the bike and I do not sweat as much and my speed is moderate I burn about 70 to 150 calories MPF tells me it like 300 to 400. I think a machines are most accurate.