Help! Havent been eating alot

Options
I usually wake up at 7:00 am and have breakfast around 7:30 and now my son strted pre-k and have been waking up at 8:00 make him breakfast and i take him to school at 8:30 but by the time i wake up do all that and come back im not ven hungry!!! I dont want to skip breakfast but i dont get hungry i have been eating brekfast at around 11 or 12

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Is there some reason you can't keep getting up at 7:00 and eating at 7:30? Forgive me if I'm confused, but it sounds like you still have time to stick to your normal routine and get him to school on time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Getting up before your son at your original time and getting yourself ready, including eating your breakfast, seems like a simple solution to me. Is there something that's keeping you from doing that?

Otherwise, if you aren't hungry don't worrying about eating breakfast until you are. As long as you eat all of your calories for the day it doesn't matter when you eat them. I'm not much of a breakfast eater. I don't eat until I get into the office and have been here an hour or so.
  • valcala23
    valcala23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Is there some reason you can't keep getting up at 7:00 and eating at 7:30? Forgive me if I'm confused, but it sounds like you still have time to stick to your normal routine and get him to school on time.
    Ive been tired lately hes only in pre-k so he goes in at 9 and i pick him up at 12 i leave the house at 8:30 and 11:30 because of traffic so i come home at 9:30 i feel tired having to clean the house, wash dishes from last night, and cook lunch.. Thats why i feel exhausted
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with not eating breakfast, assuming your blood sugar stays where it's supposed to. Just keep track of your calories and stay in the deficit range you want. I skip breakfast every day with no ill effect.
  • valcala23
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Getting up before your son at your original time and getting yourself ready, including eating your breakfast, seems like a simple solution to me. Is there something that's keeping you from doing that?

Otherwise, if you aren't hungry don't worrying about eating breakfast until you are. As long as you eat all of your calories for the day it doesn't matter when you eat them. I'm not much of a breakfast eater. I don't eat until I get into the office and have been here an hour or so.
    I'll try getting up earlier but i fall back asleep my son barely started school and seems to be sleeping later around midnight
  • valcala23
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with not eating breakfast, assuming your blood sugar stays where it's supposed to. Just keep track of your calories and stay in the deficit range you want. I skip breakfast every day with no ill effect.

Yes ive been keeping track of my calories and been working out too so thats goo enough i'll try to stick to my routine again since it was way better
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    U could stock up on to go breakfast like protien bars, muffins, baked oatmeal bars or whatever. Could bring em on the drive with an apple. Generally what I used to do when I had to be at work for 7 and couldnt bring myself to wake any earlier
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    valcala23 wrote: »

I'll try getting up earlier but i fall back asleep my son barely started school and seems to be sleeping later around midnight
    You, as the parent, need to set an earlier bed time. My daughter is 6 and her bedtime is 7:30-8pm, and it's been that way since she was like 2. There's no reason your son should be going to bed at midnight. Kids need more sleep than that for brain development.

Put your foot down. Start a bedtime routine and time. And then set a wake-up time. Don't make excuses.

As for breakfast, if you're not hungry, then don't eat. Just have more calorie dense foods for lunch & dinner, or add in some snacks or dessert after dinner. No biggie.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and end up eating most of my calories in the evening. It isn't a problem unless you're not consuming enough so just make sure you have more later in the day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

You, as the parent, need to set an earlier bed time. My daughter is 6 and her bedtime is 7:30-8pm, and it's been that way since she was like 2. There's no reason your son should be going to bed at midnight. Kids need more sleep than that for brain development.

Put your foot down. Start a bedtime routine and time. And then set a wake-up time. Don't make excuses.

As for breakfast, if you're not hungry, then don't eat. Just have more calorie dense foods for lunch & dinner, or add in some snacks or dessert after dinner. No biggie.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Midnight? My son was never much of a sleeper but he was always in bed by 9pm through middle school. Kids need more sleep than adults to function properly. If you're so tired imagine how he's feeling! It can be causing other problems like irritability, lack of focus, behavior problems, etc.

Start enforcing an earlier bedtime. It'll be better for the both of you. If you go to bed earlier it'll be easier to get him to do the same. Start a bedtime routine. Around a half hour before bed he should pick up his toys, wash up, brush his teeth and then be in bed. Read a bedtime story or let him read one to you that he knows. Lights out promptly at bedtime. No "5 more minutes", no "I need a drink of water". Once he understands that this is the new "world order" it'll go more smoothly. Kids need routine.
  • valcala23
    Options
    U could stock up on to go breakfast like protien bars, muffins, baked oatmeal bars or whatever. Could bring em on the drive with an apple. Generally what I used to do when I had to be at work for 7 and couldnt bring myself to wake any earlier
    Good idea ill give it a try when i go grocery shopping in the weekend!!! :)
  • valcala23
    Options

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Midnight? My son was never much of a sleeper but he was always in bed by 9pm through middle school. Kids need more sleep than adults to function properly. If you're so tired imagine how he's feeling! It can be causing other problems like irritability, lack of focus, behavior problems, etc.

Start enforcing an earlier bedtime. It'll be better for the both of you. If you go to bed earlier it'll be easier to get him to do the same. Start a bedtime routine. Around a half hour before bed he should pick up his toys, wash up, brush his teeth and then be in bed. Read a bedtime story or let him read one to you that he knows. Lights out promptly at bedtime. No "5 more minutes", no "I need a drink of water". Once he understands that this is the new "world order" it'll go more smoothly. Kids need routine.
    I know i wish it was like this my son is 3 has been diagnosed with autism so he doesnt speak much and is very very active especially at night when the lights are off by 9:30 he just likes to get up when theres no light and run around or jump in bed this has been happening since school started not sure why maybe hes more tired because of the schedule hes not used to.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I know i wish it was like this my son is 3 has been diagnosed with autism so he doesnt speak much and is very very active especially at night when the lights are off by 9:30 he just likes to get up when theres no light and run around or jump in bed this has been happening since school started not sure why maybe hes more tired because of the schedule hes not used to.

Must be difficult for you...but you do need to set time aside for you....your health is just as important as anyone elses......Do you have help with him??? are there any local groups offering support and advice...and even restbite from time to time to give you a break.....(not sure if you call it restbite in US...in UK it means a carer comes in or they go to a centre for a day to a week or so at a time....where they get the care needed to give you time off).....

I personally took my Grandmother into our home for 4 yrs......she was blind, diabetic, and renal failure...needing dialysis 3 times a week...so I do understand how difficult it is to get away and to relax etc.....so you end up sleeping as long as you can when you get the chance.....

Pre preparing food sounds like a good option for you at this time....or the bought bars etc....anything to keep you going and keep you strong....I too do not eat breakfast.....I am the usualy late night eater.....with beers...lol.....

Try to get yourself a set routine...its what we did...took us a while to find it.....but once we did....our lives ran fine.....I am fortunate to have a lovely partner that also took on the responsibility of my Gran.....so that really helped me.....

I have also seen light displays and gizmo's for autistic childrens calm rooms........is this a possibility to look into for his room...maybe leave it on over night....or have it on a timer...if you say that keeps him calm???......I think you may need to completely change the way a "normal live lives" as in timings......I have worked nights for the last 7 yrs now.....and that took a while the change times for eating sleeping etc etc......but now I actually work better in life in the night shift routine....so maybe you could rearrange your day and possibly his...to fit in with his sleeping patterns / energy levels etc.......and also with yours....ensuring you get your rest EVERY day..........

I am not a believer in the statements of you must eat breakfast...its the most important meal bla bla bla....yes it can help if your the type that is hungry from waking and early day......but if your not hungry....don't eat....eat when you want to eat....but make sure your eating enough when then times are....be it once, twice or 12 times a day.....make what works for you fit into the calorie goals set......I changed my diary to times...so I know when I have eaten in a day.....changes the mind set too to think differently about live schedules....

Hope any of this can help in a small way...

• valcala23
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »

Must be difficult for you...but you do need to set time aside for you....your health is just as important as anyone elses......Do you have help with him??? are there any local groups offering support and advice...and even restbite from time to time to give you a break.....(not sure if you call it restbite in US...in UK it means a carer comes in or they go to a centre for a day to a week or so at a time....where they get the care needed to give you time off).....

I personally took my Grandmother into our home for 4 yrs......she was blind, diabetic, and renal failure...needing dialysis 3 times a week...so I do understand how difficult it is to get away and to relax etc.....so you end up sleeping as long as you can when you get the chance.....

Pre preparing food sounds like a good option for you at this time....or the bought bars etc....anything to keep you going and keep you strong....I too do not eat breakfast.....I am the usualy late night eater.....with beers...lol.....

Try to get yourself a set routine...its what we did...took us a while to find it.....but once we did....our lives ran fine.....I am fortunate to have a lovely partner that also took on the responsibility of my Gran.....so that really helped me.....

I have also seen light displays and gizmo's for autistic childrens calm rooms........is this a possibility to look into for his room...maybe leave it on over night....or have it on a timer...if you say that keeps him calm???......I think you may need to completely change the way a "normal live lives" as in timings......I have worked nights for the last 7 yrs now.....and that took a while the change times for eating sleeping etc etc......but now I actually work better in life in the night shift routine....so maybe you could rearrange your day and possibly his...to fit in with his sleeping patterns / energy levels etc.......and also with yours....ensuring you get your rest EVERY day..........

I am not a believer in the statements of you must eat breakfast...its the most important meal bla bla bla....yes it can help if your the type that is hungry from waking and early day......but if your not hungry....don't eat....eat when you want to eat....but make sure your eating enough when then times are....be it once, twice or 12 times a day.....make what works for you fit into the calorie goals set......I changed my diary to times...so I know when I have eaten in a day.....changes the mind set too to think differently about live schedules....

Hope any of this can help in a small way...

Thanx for the support it means alot im glad someone here can understand me through experience.. Yes his pre-k classes are for 3 hours mon-fri for speech so he can understand me better and get a routine.. I just need to find myself a fitting schedule and about not eating breakfast that was my concern since i aleays hear "breakfast is the most important meal" but i mean if im not hungry i guess why eat makes sense right!!! Anyways thx again
  • scpr542
    scpr542 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 4 breakfast time at my house is insane!! I usually do a smoothie I free all the ingredients in a freezer bag throw in blender and have breakfast in no time
  • Ericdanielkwong
    Ericdanielkwong Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always skip a full breakfast and go with a small serving of purely carbs because I love to work out fasted in the mornings, also they're great for fat loss. If you're hungry, I would suggest a fiber one (quest...etc) bar being that they're cheap, delicious, affordable, and the macro/calories are great. Not only that, but they keep me going for hours. When you have time to worry about food, than worry about it. Most important thing is your daily average!